Offseason Thread

reiks12

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

If I go back to the spring where we had this discussion and I insisted that they wouldn’t get him to 80 innings because there wouldn’t be enough innings to go around, am I going to find you assuring me that he will get way more than 55?

this u?

I don't think so. I believe I said somewhere from 60-70. I think they were planning on using him in the playoffs and he would have hit that limit.

Edited by ptatc

7 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I thought McCann at $10M and Grandal at $18.3M were both ridiculous.

I wanted Renfroe, Zunino and Wacha for what they paid Eaton last year. Wacha wasn't good, but the other two were excellent values.

Edit. Nvm

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

23 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If there was only some explanation in the change in his expectations this year... such as an injury which caused a revision of his usage.  

This is true. The injury caused a change in the expectations. Not only from a time missed aspect but also that he needed to ramp up again.

The White Sox had 18 passed balls this season(tied for 2nd worst). They had 84 wild pitches this season(tied for 4th worst). They were the worst team when it comes to rctch, at -20. Next closest team was -13... Tied for 2nd in errors committed by catchers... Obviously wild pitches is on the pitchers, too, but pitch blocking is a huge part of that. 

They were more or less the worst defensive catching team by pretty much every measurable metric...

Grandal was barely an average pitch framer this season, based on statcast numbers. Grandal's offense(when it's there) doesn't even remotely cover his deficiencies everywhere else. Collins and Zavala both absolutely suck...

This doesn't even take into consideration the effect the terrible defense and pitch blocking has on pitch selection. Never mind looking at bases stolen, which both pitchers and catchers are abysmal at preventing.

Grandal is only getting older, and this is going to continue to get worse as the injuries pile up.... I think catcher is a huge need for this team. If you don't, I'm not sure what to tell you.

• Like 1
  • Fire 3

45 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If there was only some explanation in the change in his expectations this year... such as an injury which caused a revision of his usage.  

If you go back to his posts, I and others were saying that putting him in the bullpen would probably lock him there forever because there wouldn’t be enough innings. He was insisting that they would have to get him to 100, 110 innings, probably not 120, if they wanted him to start in 2022. I can link those if you’d like. He then picked 80-90 as a range so unbelievably low that even he would have to admit they locked him permanently into the bullpen if they didn’t get to it. They missed even that, and then took no steps (like giving him extra starts or time in the minors) to correct it. 

So I’m sorry, by our physical trainers standards, Kopech isn’t ready to be a starter next year and putting him in the bullpen was a “mistake”.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

At the very least we’ve seen how much your word is worth.

What's your problem man? His credentials speak for themselves. His opinion is always valued and appreciated when players get injured, and he's always been happy to help others on here (me with my back for example). 

Edited by ron883
  • Fire 1

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If you go back to his posts, I and others were saying that putting him in the bullpen would probably lock him there forever because there wouldn’t be enough innings. He was insisting that they would have to get him to 100, 110 innings, probably not 120, if they wanted him to start in 2022. I can link those if you’d like. He then picked 80-90 as a range so unbelievably low that even he would have to admit they locked him permanently into the bullpen if they didn’t get to it. They missed even that, and then took no steps (like giving him extra starts or time in the minors) to correct it. 

So I’m sorry, by our physical trainers standards, Kopech isn’t ready to be a starter next year and putting him in the bullpen was a “mistake”.

And if you watched the actual baseball season, he was well on his way to becoming a starter, before he got hurt, again.  

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, ron883 said:

What's your problem man? His credentials speak for themselves. His opinion is always valued and appreciated when players get injured, and he's always been happy to help others on here (me with my back for example). 

I don’t like it when people talk out of both sides of their mouth because the front office needs their brave defense. He was clearly shilling for them at the time and wanted us all to stop calling him out on it.

• bmags locked this topic