Offseason Thread

reiks12

I am really puzzled by the number of posters on here saying Eloy Jimenez should/could be traded.

His poor 2021 batting stats on a relatively small sample can possibly be attributed to his injury which was a serious one and being in the pectoral area is likely to have effected his batting even after coming back. His 162 game average is 38 home runs and he is a left handed power bat in a line up that lacks left handers. Added to which he is only 24 and has the potential to improve.

I know that he is not the best fielder but his dWAR has improved season on season suggesting he is working on it, and once again he is only 24, I know he will never be a good fielder but he may become adequate. 

Finally the injury prone accusation, before this season's big injury in 2019 & 2020 he made more appearances than Tim Anderson and only 7 less than Yoan Moncada neither of whom are accused of being injury prone as much as Eloy.

I really think we have yet to see the best of Eloy and talk of trading him, and even some people suggesting we would not get much in return, is unbelievable. But I am prepared to be proved wrong or persuaded of the error of my ways.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

So what's the answer, is opening day next year Eloy, Robert, Vaughn around the OF, Sheets at DH, and Abreu at 1b? Roll it back again?

That's fine with me. Vaughn and Sheets look good. The improvement needs to be at catcher (trade Grandal), 2B (can we get Madrigal back?) and tons of new pitchers needed.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Currently watching two poised 25 year olds pitch in the NLDS game 5 clincher. Wish Cease could be that.

Progress not Perfection

2020...didn't trust Cease to even start a postseason game

2021....great 1st inning...let's build on that shall we

49 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Currently watching two poised 25 year olds pitch in the NLDS game 5 clincher. Wish Cease could be that.

I wish GIolito could have been that.  I mean, I know he would have thrown a perfecto had he started game 1, but...

I wish Lynn could have been poised and in control.

And Rodon.

And everyone in the bullpen.  

The pitching was so bad.  

Edited by turnin' two

7 hours ago, Chimpton said:

I am really puzzled by the number of posters on here saying Eloy Jimenez should/could be traded.

His poor 2021 batting stats on a relatively small sample can possibly be attributed to his injury which was a serious one and being in the pectoral area is likely to have effected his batting even after coming back. His 162 game average is 38 home runs and he is a left handed power bat in a line up that lacks left handers. Added to which he is only 24 and has the potential to improve.

I know that he is not the best fielder but his dWAR has improved season on season suggesting he is working on it, and once again he is only 24, I know he will never be a good fielder but he may become adequate. 

Finally the injury prone accusation, before this season's big injury in 2019 & 2020 he made more appearances than Tim Anderson and only 7 less than Yoan Moncada neither of whom are accused of being injury prone as much as Eloy.

I really think we have yet to see the best of Eloy and talk of trading him, and even some people suggesting we would not get much in return, is unbelievable. But I am prepared to be proved wrong or persuaded of the error of my ways.

I suggested trading him for the following reasons.

You hopefully use the trade to fill the whole Hahn created at 2B, or RF and get a pitcher that can both play on the big league club next season.  They have far too many holes and no way there is enough money to fill them all.  Then you slot Vaughn in RF, freeing up a roster spot for Sheets.  It isn't about selling low on Eloy at all.  It's about using him to upgrade the team in other positions which they sorely need.  We aren't the Dodgers with a 450 billion dollar payroll.  Hahn is going to have to get creative to upgrade the team and I think Eloy is an opportunity to do that.

15 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Soxtalk: Kopech should have been managed differently to better prepare him for success as a starter in 2022.

Also Soxtalk: Sox should have been more aggressive in chasing HFA against Houston.

Right on.  The HFA was there for the taking. Too many punted games, Sunday lineups, Keuchel starts, over reliance on a resting strategy.  Furthermore, it did not get the team into an aggresive, winning mode.  .500 baseball was accepted as OK, as we would then have rested players for our 4 game playoff.  That strategy was a bust. We needed to keep the foot on the pedal going to the playoffs.

Edited by hankchifan
Grammar

18 hours ago, ron883 said:

Yes *Almost every poster here*, we all know you would have managed the team better than TLR. You know the inner workings of the club, how everybody was feeling, the plans upper management had for players, etc. If only we had you and your infinite wisdom (hindsight) running the club. Sox would have 105+ wins 

Fixed. I believe this season proved that everyone here is better than a hall of fame level manager, anyone in the front office, and especially everyone who owns a piece of the team. It’s incredibly easy to assemble all star level talent at every position, manager player health, in game strategy, we all know when to pull pitchers and when to leave them in. In fact it’s so easy I think baseball requires teams to screw it up simply to create fan interest. 

And that’s what makes this place so much fun. :gosoxretro::cheers

6 hours ago, turnin' two said:

I wish GIolito could have been that.  I mean, I know he would have thrown a perfecto had he started game 1, but...

I wish Lynn could have been poised and in control.

And Rodon.

And everyone in the bullpen.  

The pitching was so bad.  

this is where I feel like I'm crazy compared to what I'm reading. I'd honestly feel so much better if we had found our Logan Webb or Max Fried and lost, but I probably would be focusing on the offense.

But for second year in a row our pitching entered the playoffs and could not throw strikes and implode. Now Giolito was great last year, but now we'll have an entire pitching staff co into next years playoffs thinking "not again".

But to watch that pitching where we gave up 5, 9, 6 and 10 runs and think "we need to trade Eloy"..man I don't know. In the playoffs there will be games pitching will shut you down but you really should also have games where you shut their hitters down.

And yet pitching is such a pain to develop but hard to exit out of. Two years ago this is why I wanted to swap out some of these guys for more established players. Really hard to cut the cord on Cease when he found such excellent swing and miss stuff, he could very well put it all together this offseason and be the best pitcher on the staff.

I don't see a reason to subtract to solve log jams. Just keep adding. If all we did was add Scherzer and trade kimbrel for some good looking 25 year old A ball pitcher would people really be mad? Add Add Add, don't trade players for "balance", you won't be as smart as you think.

• bmags locked this topic