Offseason Thread

reiks12

5 minutes ago, Flash said:

Guessing Gallo has worn out his welcome in NY. Yanks have 1 more year of control at @ $10M. Maybe dangle Keuchel (Yankees seem fond of recycling LH'rs), Fry and $8M or so to make money even. Gallo for a year in OF buys time for Cespdes, Colas or whomever. If Gallo clicks, resign him.

Gallo is one of those guys that looks great until he is on your team and then realize he is Adam dunn.  I know a lot of people love the three outcome player but I think I'm good for a while

• Like 3

1 hour ago, T R U said:

Im sure this is not right on the money but how would this look so far?

Some trades will definitely have to be made..

image.png

I can see something like this happening, I don’t think Leury is going anywhere though so I think he takes Burger’s spot. And they will address backup catcher, they have no confidence in Zavala nor Collins. 

4 minutes ago, Flash said:

Guessing Gallo has worn out his welcome in NY. Yanks have 1 more year of control at @ $10M. Maybe dangle Keuchel (Yankees seem fond of recycling LH'rs), Fry and $8M or so to make money even. Gallo for a year in OF buys time for Cespdes, Colas or whomever. If Gallo clicks, resign him.

Interesting. I’m not a Gallo fan and obviously his second half was Atrocious, but at least he plays competent RF and is lefty. Could than dangle other pieces for a new SP.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

I can see something like this happening, I don’t think Leury is going anywhere though so I think he takes Burger’s spot. And they will address backup catcher, they have no confidence in Zavala nor Collins. 

Interesting. I’m not a Gallo fan and obviously his second half was Atrocious, but at least he plays competent RF and is lefty. Could than dangle other pieces for a new SP.

You think Leury sticks?  He made $3.5 million this season.  Do you see him taking a cut to come back or getting a multi-year deal?  I don't know either way but I just felt that he played himself off the roster (in a good way for him) because it would take a pay raise to keep him and I don't know if the White Sox will play the "10th" man all that much? 

• Thanks 1

Just now, BrittBurnsFan said:

You think Leury sticks?  He made $3.5 million this season.  Do you see him taking a cut to come back or getting a multi-year deal?  I don't know either way but I just felt that he played himself off the roster (in a good way for him) because it would take a pay raise to keep him and I don't know if the White Sox will play the "10th" man all that much? 

From all the love and glowing comments from TLR that Leury isn’t a “utility” player, I bet he’ll tell Hahn he needs him back.

• Like 1

Just now, ShoeLessRob said:

From all the love and glowing comments from TLR that Leury isn’t a “utility” player, I bet he’ll tell Hahn he needs him back.

Yeah...I could see that!  Ideally he won't play even half as much as he did this year if he comes back...even less than that actually!  He was great for what he was...but he never would have been on the field that much had we not had so many injuries. 

Forget about the White Sox trading Vaughn, Crochet, Kopech....they make no money. These are guys that must be kept around or you are going to have a huge problem really quickly. The Cubs had the problem, and the Sox aren't close to them financially. It's another reason why trading Madrigal really stings. He's easy to replace if you blow up your payroll.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Flash said:

Gallo seems like the type of player that will come to the Sox and the power will decrease even more, leaving you with an absolutely awful player. I was shocked how badly he played for Yankees and that short porch. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Forget about the White Sox trading Vaughn, Crochet, Kopech....they make no money. These are guys that must be kept around or you are going to have a huge problem really quickly. The Cubs had the problem, and the Sox aren't close to them financially. It's another reason why trading Madrigal really stings. He's easy to replace if you blow up your payroll.

Amen.  We're already down one young cost-controlled piece.  Let that be a lesson to us for god's sake

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Gallo seems like the type of player that will come to the Sox and the power will decrease even more, leaving you with an absolutely awful player. I was shocked how badly he played for Yankees and that short porch. 

With some serious protection around him too!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Isn’t “trading away the cost controlled guys” the setup they have used consistently the last 3 years? Narvaez, Walker, Dunning, Madrigal, Heuer, Pilkington? 

That’s sorta their MO.

• Fire 1

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Isn’t “trading away the cost controlled guys” the setup they have used consistently the last 3 years? Narvaez, Walker, Dunning, Madrigal, Heuer, Pilkington? 

That’s sorta their MO.

You can't keep doing it unless you want to start a rebuild by 2024. It can be done up to a point.  The White Sox aren't ever going to flirt with a luxury tax, so their point comes way before some other teams.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

You can't keep doing it unless you want to start a rebuild by 2024. It can be done up to a point.  The White Sox aren't ever going to flirt with a luxury tax, so their point comes way before some other teams.

At least historically, my impression was this was exactly what they tried to do up to 2016, almost every year, when they finally hit a wall. 

29 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That’s sorta their MO.

If you took away the Heyward, Chatwood and Q moves…Soler perhaps (for Wade Davis), as well as Kimbrel, Chapman and Darvish, the Cubs are in a much different place.

Of course, many will argue no 2016 World Series title without two of those names + Zobrist.

But similar concepts of disregarding youth for veterans here.   You could do a Master’s thesis on the Padres getting more and more expensive with bigger veteran names while discarding Ty France, Urias, Patino, Quantrill, Reyes, Renfroe, Margot, Naylor…going all the way back to Rizzo, Trae Turner and Max Fried a development cycle previously.

(Obviously Zobrist worked well for a time in KC and Chicago, but you can see the trend here.)

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

If I'm targeting a prime years lefty 2B with plus power, plus defense and diminishing K/ground ball rate, I'm targeting Ryan McMahon from COL.

A package of McMahon + Elias Diaz would shore up the defense up the middle in a much needed way.

mcmahonYear.png

Edited by macsandz

5 minutes ago, macsandz said:

If I'm targeting a prime years lefty 2B with plus power, plus defense and diminishing K/ground ball rate, I'm targeting Ryan McMahon from COL.

A package of McMahon + Elias Diaz would shore up the defense up the middle in a much needed way.

mcmahonYear.png

Just make sure you don't look at his home/road splits...

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=mcmahry01&year=Career&t=b

4 minutes ago, Marqhead said:

Just make sure you don't look at his home/road splits...

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=mcmahry01&year=Career&t=b

Hasn't this been proven a fallacy?  Since ALL players have drastic home road splits?  There are tons of batters who did just fine after leaving COL.  Arenado and Lemahieu are immediate ones that comes to mind

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Hasn't this been proven a fallacy?  Since ALL players have drastic home road splits?  There are tons of batters who did just fine after leaving COL.  Arenado and Lemahieu are immediate ones that comes to mind

I think it's always going to be a concern, especially when there's a big drop off in power. But I'm sure you're right that there are a number of cases to point to where it worked out.

I'm going to break my own sabbatical and throw out a name that I really like that I think provides the Sox a lot of balance and he can play multiple positions.  He's also someone who just might be available if the Mets do resign Baez, which I think is likely.  Jeff McNeill.  He had a crappy year last year but dude has been pretty damn good both at hitting for average, getting on base, not striking out, and also plays multiple positions.  He also has enough pop to hit 23 home runs and that will likely increase if he played half his games at Comiskey.  Just throwing this out there.  I don't know if he will be available or not but I'm a huge fan having watched him a fair bit in New York.  Rumor has it the Mets were in on Kimbrel.  To be honest, I think McNeill is a much a better version of Nick MAdrigal.  Again, not sure how likely it is that he's on the market but I would check in to see if he's available.  Diaz was a high wire act down the stretch for them anyways.  And even if it's not Kimbrel who they trade for him, I'm wondering if the Sox might have enough to amke it work.

• bmags locked this topic