Offseason Thread

reiks12

5 hours ago, macsandz said:

Because he's a young, controlled, emerging power bat from the left side that's elite defensively at multiple positions that wouldn't cost much to acquire.  That's why. 

Ryan McMahon stinks. He's about as replaceable as a player gets. Trading assets for him would be crazy. Cesar Hernandez is arguably a better option than Ryan McMahon.

Just a quick (maybe silly) question, but when normally does anything happen in the off season regards player transactions? Obviously I know the WS has to be over first but after that when do moves really begin to happen? 

58 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

Just a quick (maybe silly) question, but when normally does anything happen in the off season regards player transactions? Obviously I know the WS has to be over first but after that when do moves really begin to happen? 

From the Winter Meetings onward….usually beginning of December.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chimpton said:

Thank you. So until then just loads of gossip and speculation!

Not necessarily, moves happen before the meetings.  It's just common for the winter meetings to really kick it off 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chimpton said:

First step will be the Sox making decisions on who they will tender contracts to in terms of players under control and arbitration eligible, and free agents.

• Will they make a qualifying offer on Carlos Rodon.
  • Will they pick up team options on Craig Kimbrel and or Cesar Hernandez

Below is the league calendar, though arbitration and other deadlines may be in limbo after the expiration of the CBA on 12/1. There could be much lower free agency activity than usual in November due to the expiring CBA.

• Day after 2021 World Series - Trading resumes, eligible players become free agents
  • Fifth day after end of 2021 World Series (tentative)Deadline for clubs to make qualifying offers to their eligible former players who became free agents
  • Sixth day after end of 2021 World Series - First day free agents may sign contracts with a club other than their former club.
  • 15th day after end of 2021 World Series - Last date for Article XX (B) free agents to accept a qualifying offer from a former club.
  • November 20, 2021 - Day to file reserve lists for all Major and Minor League levels.
  • December 1, 2021 - 2017-21 Collective Bargaining Agreement expires.
  • December 2, 2021 - Last date for clubs to offer 2022 contracts to unsigned players.
  • December, 2021 - Winter Meetings.
  • December, 2021 - Rule 5 Draft
  • December 15, 2021 - International amateur signing period closes.
  • January, 2022 - Salary arbitration filing. CBA, Article VI (E)(2).
  • January, 2022 - Exchange of salary arbitration figures between MLB Labor Relations Department and MLB Players Association. CBA, Article VI (E) (2).
  • February, 2022 - Salary arbitration hearings.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

First step will be the Sox making decisions on who they will tender contracts to in terms of players under control and arbitration eligible, and free agents.

• Will they make a qualifying offer on Carlos Rodon.
  • Will they pick up team options on Craig Kimbrel and or Cesar Hernandez

Below is the league calendar, though arbitration and other deadlines may be in limbo after the expiration of the CBA on 12/1. There could be much lower free agency activity than usual in November due to the expiring CBA.

• Day after 2021 World Series - Trading resumes, eligible players become free agents
  • Fifth day after end of 2021 World Series (tentative)Deadline for clubs to make qualifying offers to their eligible former players who became free agents
  • Sixth day after end of 2021 World Series - First day free agents may sign contracts with a club other than their former club.
  • 15th day after end of 2021 World Series - Last date for Article XX (B) free agents to accept a qualifying offer from a former club.
  • November 20, 2021 - Day to file reserve lists for all Major and Minor League levels.
  • December 1, 2021 - 2017-21 Collective Bargaining Agreement expires.
  • December 2, 2021 - Last date for clubs to offer 2022 contracts to unsigned players.
  • December, 2021 - Winter Meetings.
  • December, 2021 - Rule 5 Draft
  • December 15, 2021 - International amateur signing period closes.
  • January, 2022 - Salary arbitration filing. CBA, Article VI (E)(2).
  • January, 2022 - Exchange of salary arbitration figures between MLB Labor Relations Department and MLB Players Association. CBA, Article VI (E) (2).
  • February, 2022 - Salary arbitration hearings.

Thank you for taking the time for such a thorough reply

4 hours ago, Chimpton said:

The White Sox have a habit of striking early if they have a target. Grandal was signed around Thanksgiving. This year that won’t happen, as noted above, until there is a CBA.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

Again sorry for my ignorance but why is a lockout a probability?

The CBA is expiring which means the Players Union and MLB have to come together to discuss a new contract. There will be a slew of changes to the game and how players are compensated that will need to be ironed out by the end of the year. Unfortunately if they dont come to an agreement then all baseball activity is halted until they do. Disagreements in 1994 cancelled the season for example.

Players are upset that they arent being compensated fairly for how much money the game is bringing in. TV rights and gambling have been incredibly profitable for the owners, however the players dont receive anything there. It could get ugly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

The CBA is expiring which means the Players Union and MLB have to come together to discuss a new contract. There will be a slew of changes to the game and how players are compensated that will need to be ironed out by the end of the year. Unfortunately if they dont come to an agreement then all baseball activity is halted until they do. Disagreements in 1994 cancelled the season for example.

Players are upset that they arent being compensated fairly for how much money the game is bringing in. TV rights and gambling have been incredibly profitable for the owners, however the players dont receive anything there. It could get ugly.

Personally I think a cap and floor model would actually be beneficial to the players because it would stop the small market teams from going super cheap on their payrolls. That keeps player salaries down more than anything else. The stars will get less but the mid-tier players will get more. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Personally I think a cap and floor model would actually be beneficial to the players because it would stop the small market teams from going super cheap on their payrolls. That keeps player salaries down more than anything else. The stars will get less but the mid-tier players will get more. 

Dude, where the fuck have you been???   You missed the entire playoffs!!!

50 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

Again sorry for my ignorance but why is a lockout a probability?

Sometimes they do a one year extension and keep going under the current plan. Both sides have a lot to lose. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

I'm so glad gambling is taking over so we can bring ethics back into the game. Now back to Steve and Jason. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, reiks12 said:

Thank you.

10 minutes ago, pcq said:

Sometimes they do a one year extension and keep going under the current plan. Both sides have a lot to lose. 

But a few big things are different right now. First of all, for reasons we will probably have plenty of time to discuss, the relationship between the union leadership and Manfred and the owners is at probably its worst spot since 1995. There’s zero personal trust, so the players will think that if they give the owners an extension, the owners will view it as caving, as a sign their position is weak. Second, this will all be happening during the offseason which means nobody loses any real money if there’s a lockout from December through February.

The NFL was in this situation a few years ago and they had a lockout start in the offseason and it lasted right up to the point it would have cost them week 1, at which point both sides said they’ll lose half a billion dollars a week if they don’t get something done, so they got something done. Last year baseball and the players both knew they were going to wind up with about a 60 game season to avoid big losses with no fans, so they fought up until the last second they had before they wouldn’t have made 60 games, and then magically agreed on the number they were dealing with the whole time. 

• Like 2

Eloy's value is polarizing for fans. There are clearly those who believe he will eventually fulfill on the promise he displayed while literally exploding lights in the OF tower. Since his debut in 2019 he has accumulated 3.4 WAR across almost 900 plate appearance (0.6 across 213 PA in '21). Can he hit for power?...no doubt. Awkward and uncoordinated?...yep.

I am respectful of the opinions of most here and can understand the appeal of Eloy. That said, I am not a fan and believe his value in trade will continue to plummet from today's level which, we might be unpleasantly surprised to find, is not as robust as some believe. Moreover, to me, he appears to lack intensity and seriousness. Maybe I'm being overly critical and I don't expect him to be Juan Soto and stare down pitchers after each pitch but I'd sure like to see him act like he gives a shit.

Obviously, I'd trade him to capitalize on whatever trade value he possesses. I might be wrong but I don't think the Sox can ever reach the promised land with Eloy in LF and the middle of the lineup...especially as long as Abreu is also around.  

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

55 minutes ago, Flash said:

Eloy's value is polarizing for fans. There are clearly those who believe he will eventually fulfill on the promise he displayed while literally exploding lights in the OF tower. Since his debut in 2019 he has accumulated 3.4 WAR across almost 900 plate appearance (0.6 across 213 PA in '21). Can he hit for power?...no doubt. Awkward and uncoordinated?...yep.

I am respectful of the opinions of most here and can understand the appeal of Eloy. That said, I am not a fan and believe his value in trade will continue to plummet from today's level which, we might be unpleasantly surprised to find, is not as robust as some believe. Moreover, to me, he appears to lack intensity and seriousness. Maybe I'm being overly critical and I don't expect him to be Juan Soto and stare down pitchers after each pitch but I'd sure like to see him act like he gives a shit.

Obviously, I'd trade him to capitalize on whatever trade value he possesses. I might be wrong but I don't think the Sox can ever reach the promised land with Eloy in LF and the middle of the lineup...especially as long as Abreu is also around.  

Abreu is not what's holding this team back...without him, no Robert, and with no Robert, no so-called championship window to speak of.

46 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Abreu is not what's holding this team back...without him, no Robert, and with no Robert, no so-called championship window to speak of.

Obviously. My point was Eloy and Abreu have similar batting profiles. Free swingers prone to chasing sliders out of the zone. When they connect, its fun but too often pitchers can induce Ks or weak contact.

• bmags locked this topic