Offseason Thread

reiks12

For what its worth, I think the sox trade both Kuechel & Kimbrel (I don't know how much if any salary they will have to eat). I think we acquire a backup defensive catcher who can throw thru FA or trade...Roberto Perez (if Cleveland doesn't pick up option) Yan Gomes, Jonah Heim etc. 

Rodon comes back on a QO or we sign a FA pitcher as our big expenditure.

Cesar's option is picked up...Next Year we sign Jose Ramirez as a FA to play 2b. 

Leury re-signed. 

Engel tendered. 

Tepera re-signed.

Maybe another bullpen FA at a modest salary signed.

Burger traded with Keuchel to a rebuilding team (something like Burgor, Keuchel, collins to Texas for Heim, & Barlow.) Could also be Baltimore, Pittsburgh, arizona, etc.

3 hours ago, Colome's Hat said:

Katz is arguably responsible for the success our starting staff had.  Without him, I don't think Rodon and Cease have the years they do.  Or even perhaps Lynn.  Obviously he can get better but I'm not sure we are going to find a much better pitching coach for this staff than him.  Also I can't blame him for the bullpen.  Bullpen pitchers are volatile. 

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

"I will give this guy credit for all good things and use an excuse for all the bad things, thus proving he must be great".

Look, the pitching coach is more than just a "mechanics technician."

Especially with an ancient alkie as manager who is without his lifelong friend as pitching coach by his side. There's the in game tactical angle, insofar as keeping Alkie Tony from doing colossally moronic things. Such as moronically running out a rookie, on the road, vs a tough trashtros lineup, after he'd just pitched the day before, in a game you HAD TO WIN. Ya know, like a CNA has to keep a watchful eye over the nursing home residents. 

Or in-game, keeping Grandal from calling 10,000 fastballs in a row. Or in-game, helping the pitchers find the strike zone, instead of letting Lynn, Giolito, Cease, and Rodon walk the yard. Again. Or in-game, not letting Lynn throw 74 of 76 pitches as fastballs, leading to another curb-stomping by the trashstros. 

There's also the strategic angle, where a pitching coach has to help Alkie Tony setup the pitching staff for the playoffs. Or helping to figure out how to use BOTH Hendriks and Kimbrel, BEFORE the playoffs start.

Katz's job doesn't end when he unlocks a player's mechanics. A pitching coach and bench coach have MORE responsibilities with a geezing geezer as manager.

So far, they've sucked at the in-game roles, and have let Alkie Tony fuck up royally. A year ago, with an inferior roster to THIS year's roster, heads rolled for perceived coaching fuckups.

This year, despite epically bad coaching and managerial decisions that contributed to losing both HFA and the ALDS, we're supposed to be happy we took another humiliating curb-stomping? Sorry, but I can't feature that.

If it was OK to launch Renteria and Cooper for shitting their pants, when you see more pants-shitting from this years coaching staff, they should be fired as well.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jerry McNertney said:

I see Cespedes' top side potential as a 2015-2016 Adam Eaton comp. He might have a little bit of power, maybe 15 home runs a year and a .280 BA with speed. Unfortunately, he hits right handed, and those Eaton comps are a best case scenario.

Cespedes is just a dude. Big arm, potential power but he's likely nothing special. 

1 hour ago, kleedawg said:

For what its worth, I think the sox trade both Kuechel & Kimbrel (I don't know how much if any salary they will have to eat). I think we acquire a backup defensive catcher who can throw thru FA or trade...Roberto Perez (if Cleveland doesn't pick up option) Yan Gomes, Jonah Heim etc. 

Cesar's option is picked up...Next Year we sign Jose Ramirez as a FA to play 2b. 

Leury re-signed. 

Engel tendered. 

Tepera re-signed.

Burger traded with Keuchel to a rebuilding team (something like Burgor, Keuchel, collins to Texas for Heim, & Barlow.) Could also be Baltimore, Pittsburgh, arizona, etc.

The White Sox aren't spending $6M on Cesar Hernandez.  They may well resign him later in the offseason, but no one is paying him $6M. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kleedawg said:

Leury re-signed. 

Engel tendered. 

Tepera re-signed.

If Rodon signs, why do we need another expensive SP.  I'd argue we wouldn't need 1 at all.

Madrigal is a career .317 BA in 303 AB

Vaughn hit .235  with 15 HR in  417 AB.

Sheets had 11 HR in only 160 AB. 

Vaughn regressed in the last few months of the season even as Tony tried to protect him by not starting him against RH pitching.

Sox don't really have a spot for him in the 2022 line-up as we saw in the play-offs.   He is kind of surplusage.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, tray said:

Vaughn regressed in the last few months of the season even as Tony tried to protect him by not starting him against RH pitching.

Sox don't really have a spot for him in the 2022 line-up as we saw in the play-offs.   He is kind of surplusage.

This is reaching weirdo obsession territory.  A) we all know where you stand on Mr. wrong-shoe-size, and B) the retort is so obvious (he was a rookie who never played above A-ball before this season) that what you’re saying is near worthless.  Give it a rest. 

• Fire 2

On 10/16/2021 at 11:29 PM, reiks12 said:

Grandal, Abreu, Leury, Vaughn, and Eloy are double play machines which is why i dont understand how this team can be ok taking a contact approach. Its a waste. We ranked 27th in GDP. 

Red Sox are beating the crap out of the Astros with three grand slams in 2 games.  Sox will need to get more balls up in the air next year or and/or hit and run more to stay out of double plays.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Red Sox are beating the crap out of the Astros with three grand slams in 2 games.  Sox will need to get more balls up in the air next year or and/or hit and run more to stay out of double plays.

Nobody likes the hit and run more than you do hank, that's for sure

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

I played baseball through college many years ago and hit and run was an integral part of the game then. Hit and run forces the hitter to focus more, puts pressure on the defense, opens holes in the infield, avoids double plays, can put a man in scoring position..  With the Sox high ground ball hitting rate and double play hitting rate, it makes more sense particularly with Abreu at the plate. A guy getting thrown out at second is better than a double play.  What is your opinion?

2 hours ago, tray said:

Are you pretending that Madrigal is fungible with Sheets and Vaughn?

28 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Red Sox don't do a lot of hit and runs. In fact hit and runs are  declining around baseball. 

https://thestadiumreviews.com/blogs/info/what-is-hit-and-run-baseball/

1 hour ago, SCCWS said:

Red Sox don't do a lot of hit and runs. In fact hit and runs are  declining around baseball. 

https://thestadiumreviews.com/blogs/info/what-is-hit-and-run-baseball/

The Red Sox are hitting a lot of homers and not many double plays, so they don’t need to hit and run.  On the other hand, White Sox hit a lot of ground balls and hit into many double plays, and Abreu has led the majors in double plays hit the last three seasons.  So hit and running with Abreu at the plate makes sense.

• bmags locked this topic