Offseason Thread

reiks12

I'm not super optimistic on conforto though, I don't think sox will be able to get past much more than 4/60, that like 4/55-65 seems like their sweet spot for big acquisitions and seems like that puts them in  a box of getting DHs/RPs that swim in those contracts.

But we'll see. It would be nice if they could pry murphy away... but good luck working with Theo I mean Beane I mean Stearns I mean

44 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

First half was terrible.  Struggled with injuries.  Conforto was looking at an $100M deal 12 months ago.  Whoever signs him is going to get something between an amazing bargain or at worst, a player earning his keep if he can stay healthy.  Obviously, as with any player, injuries are a concern.  

IF, and its probably an big IF, the Sox can get Conforto on a 3-4 year deal around $15-17M AAV, its going to be a very nice piece and a good price. Even in a down year, he was well above average at getting on base.  Lifetime wRC+ of 124.   He's by far the best realistic fit on the FA market. 

I commend you for being the biggest Conforto proponent on this board! I'm the 2nd biggest, assuming we don't get the Suzuki fellow. 

I think the conforto $$ should be spent elsewhere. He did not have a good year last year. Even if he rebounds I do think Sheets has better offensive upside. Gavin's biggest defensive liability in rf is lack of range. It wasn't like he was dropping balls all over the place. He is new to the position and its possible he will improve with practice...it has been known to happen. His defense may cost us a game here or there, but his bat will win us much more. Any deficiencies will be mitigated by 2 CF that run like gazelles to cover the RC gap. Platooning them with Engel in Rf, and the quality of our pitching staff.

I know Gavin's not going to prove himself hitting 30 hr's be occasionally DH, Ph, and spot starting in an aformentioned pos. He may hit 30 if he plays the 80% of the time when a rh is pitching. 

Gavin may be that lh slugger we've been trying to acquire for so damn long. Not the 3 outcome Adam dunn's we've tried, but a guy who can actually hit. I'd hate to trade him because we didn't play in rf for a couple of years until Abreu retires.

I also find it funny  that some want to trade him because of defensive deficiencies but suggest getting Schwarber cuz he can play of & 1b.

3 minutes ago, kleedawg said:

I think the conforto $$ should be spent elsewhere. He did not have a good year last year. Even if he rebounds I do think Sheets has better offensive upside. Gavin's biggest defensive liability in rf is lack of range. It wasn't like he was dropping balls all over the place. He is new to the position and its possible he will improve with practice...it has been known to happen. His defense may cost us a game here or there, but his bat will win us much more. Any deficiencies will be mitigated by 2 CF that run like gazelles to cover the RC gap. Platooning them with Engel in Rf, and the quality of our pitching staff.

I know Gavin's not going to prove himself hitting 30 hr's be occasionally DH, Ph, and spot starting in an aformentioned pos. He may hit 30 if he plays the 80% of the time when a rh is pitching. 

Gavin may be that lh slugger we've been trying to acquire for so damn long. Not the 3 outcome Adam dunn's we've tried, but a guy who can actually hit. I'd hate to trade him because we didn't play in rf for a couple of years until Abreu retires.

I also find it funny  that some want to trade him because of defensive deficiencies but suggest getting Schwarber cuz he can play of & 1b.

Gavin Sheets (the guy we all woulda shipped as a 3rd piece in a trade), does not have a higher offensive upside than Conforto.

4 hours ago, Superstar Lamar said:

any thoughts on trading Grandal?

We would be selling high, after his strong second half.  He has a big contract, but it is only for two more years, so it shouldn't be daunting to even budget minded teams.

Replace him with a more defensive minded catcher, who will obviously be cheaper.

Then they would really have to find a veteran LH hitter for either RF or 2B.  

I am open to trading anyone for the right return.  It's very easy to fall in love with your hometown favorites and wear blinders.  A good example would be if the FO really thinks the low-cost of Burger could replace the high cost of Moncada...then trade Moncada from a position of strength.  The low-budget teams do this all the time in order to survive and compete with the big spenders.  Some teams like Tampa have excelled with this MO.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, kleedawg said:

Running out an OF that includes 2 of Eloy, Sheets and/or Vaughn on a regular basis is insanity.  And if you're not going to spend the $ on Conforto, you're just not spending the money period.  The Sox aren't signing Seager/Semien, so we're talking about minor/stopgap type moves at that point. 

Conforto is the guy if FA is the route.  

edit: if Sox decide to go cheap, I expect Vaughn in RF most of the time and Sheets primary DH.  Sheets is really nothing more than emergency OF.  However, as I said above, running out an OF with Eloy/Vaughn in it everyday is so dumb.  One is fine.  2 is big time no no. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Conforto is also a guy, that if he bounces back to previous career norms, and Cespedes/Colas explode such that they need a spot in the OF everyday, you have the extreme luxury of deciding which super valuable piece to trade. 

I think people on this forum really overrate Colas and Cespedes

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

I think people on this forum really overrate Colas and Cespedes

Not sure if referring to me, but they're basically just guys.  I am not counting on either of them for anything - if they pop - great.  But Sox shouldn't be sitting out on trying to find a longer-term fit for RF for those 2.  Completely agreed there.  

Edited by ChiSox59

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Not sure if referring to me, but they're basically just guys.  I am not counting on either of them for anything - if they pop - great.  But Sox shouldn't be sitting out on trying to find a longer-term fit for RF for those 2.  Completely agreed there.  

To be fair, we don't know much about Colas yet. Cespedes just seems like a guy. Colas could very well break out. He hasn't played professionally in a whole though. 

So, since this is a safe space.

You know...say I win one of these big billion dollar power balls and am charitable and am like "Jerry Reinsdorf, you deserve this money" and all that.

Like the dude's defense has dropped off since his tommy john surgery...a bit bizarrely. He realistically is either pushed to 3b now, or make 2b work.

He is left handed. He doesn't strike out. He is an on base machine.

So like, well actually corey seager is the perfect addition, and maybe his health the past few years (2018...this year) and his defensive decline...JK but seriously if I an elderly billionaire with a sports team I'd say "buy me the tall boy"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Gavin Sheets (the guy we all woulda shipped as a 3rd piece in a trade), does not have a higher offensive upside than Conforto.

Really? How do you know? A young kid growing into his power that has a great approach at the plate. I'm not included in the "all" that would trade him as a third piece in a trade.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, kleedawg said:

Really? How do you know? A young kid growing into his power that has a great approach at the plate. I'm not included in the "all" that would trade him as a third piece in a trade.

Sheets is only 3 years younger than Conforto. Conforto already had an all-star season when he was Gavin's age. Gavin isn't a "young kid". It took him awhile to get to the majors because he wasn't very good in the minors. 

• Fire 1

On 10/19/2021 at 11:05 AM, joesaiditstrue said:

Funny how the 5 game series (which ended in 4 games) went nearly identical to the regular season series vs the same opponent

organizationally, the Sox aren't even in the same league as teams like Houston/TB, and even Boston/NYY, and they never will be because nepotism reigns in Chicago. the one team that cleaned house from top to bottom won the most recent championship, that wasn't a fluke

It is more like cronyism that nepotism.  TLR is not related to JR, but he is his crony, good ole boy buddy.

• Like 2

On 10/18/2021 at 10:12 PM, ron883 said:

Nobody likes the hit and run more than you do hank, that's for sure

Just watched the Astros successfully hit and run with Brantley hitting and Altuve running.  It is not a dead art.  We have speed in TA, Robert, Moncada normally hitting ahead of Abreu, the leading DP hitter in the majors.  It should be a no brainer to hit and run whenever feasible with Abreu at bat.

• bmags locked this topic