Offseason Thread

reiks12

10 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Dude. A subscription to The Athletic is so cheap. I don't know how any fan that consumes sports media doesn't already have a subscription. It's excellent. 

They also run great sales on a regular basis. I am on $1 a month from last Black Friday.

On 10/20/2021 at 4:28 PM, ron883 said:

Sheets is only 3 years younger than Conforto. Conforto already had an all-star season when he was Gavin's age. Gavin isn't a "young kid". It took him awhile to get to the majors because he wasn't very good in the minors. 

so? Conforto bloomed earlier. It took Gavin longer but he clearly has gotten better. Why do you think he will stop getting better?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, kleedawg said:

so? Conforto bloomed earlier. It took Gavin longer but he clearly has gotten better. Why do you think he will stop getting better?

I'll take Conforto's history of being a 4 WAR player over Sheets' 54 game sample size. 

38 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I'll take Conforto's history of being a 4 WAR player over Sheets' 54 game sample size. 

He is a defensive hole, expensive, a 2.4 bWAR player.

2015-2021 bWAR: 2.1; 0.6; 3.7; 2.7; 3.6; 2.1; 0.9.

2015-2021 dWAR: 0.8, -0.2, -0.5, -1.0, -0.7, -0.1, -0.9.

Hard Pass.

• Haha 2

That's fine. I wouldn't. I want to learn what Sheets actually is before I replace. Then, if he is not the dude I think he is going to be I can replace him with potentially a better left-handed stick than both conforto and sheets. In the present I feel $$ can be better allocated for more pressing needs such as 1. starting pitcher 2. 2b. 3. Bullpen replacements for Kopech, Kimbrel, and Tepera...or re-signing tepera.

Crap Ron's quote about rather having conforto should go here.

Edited by kleedawg

5 minutes ago, kleedawg said:

That's fine. I wouldn't. I want to learn what Sheets actually is before I replace. Then, if he is not the dude I think he is going to be I can replace him with potentially a better left-handed stick than both conforto and sheets. In the present I feel $$ can be better allocated for more pressing needs such as 1. starting pitcher 2. 2b. 3. Bullpen replacements for Kopech, Kimbrel, and Tepera...or re-signing tepera.

Crap Ron's quote about rather having conforto should go here.

Free agency doesn't exist in the middle of the season. IF the Sox go into the season with Sheets and he's the .750 OPS guy he always was prior to 2021, you have both a giant hole in the offensive and a god awful defensive OF.  So now you're subtracting further pieces to fix a mistake when there is literally a perfect fit on the FA market.  

35 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

He is a defensive hole, expensive, a 2.4 bWAR player.

2015-2021 bWAR: 2.1; 0.6; 3.7; 2.7; 3.6; 2.1; 0.9.

2015-2021 dWAR: 0.8, -0.2, -0.5, -1.0, -0.7, -0.1, -0.9.

Hard Pass.

Who do you suggest play RF for the WHite sox in 2021?  Interested to hear.

And Conforto won't be that expensive.  $15-18M AAV over a few years is a small price to pay to fill an enormous gap in the offense.  I too wish Conforto was a great fielder - he isn't - but he's not a defensive hole.  He'd be a major defensive improvement over our other options in RF not named Adam Engel. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Free agency doesn't exist in the middle of the season. IF the Sox go into the season with Sheets and he's the .750 OPS guy he always was prior to 2021, you have both a giant hole in the offensive and a god awful defensive OF.  So now you're subtracting further pieces to fix a mistake when there is literally a perfect fit on the FA market.  

I know that, I'm saying free agency for the following year (s) where different options are available. I'm going to learn what Sheets is this year at the minimum. 

2 minutes ago, kleedawg said:

I know that, I'm saying free agency for the following year (s) where different options are available. I'm going to learn what Sheets is this year at the minimum. 

Ahhh, yes.  Let's let another year of the window disappear with a giant hole in RF.  Sorry man, its just a terrible plan.  I am not suggesting we get rid of Gavin, but handign him the job, whether that is DH or RF, is a terrible idea. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Ahhh, yes.  Let's let another year of the window disappear with a giant hole in RF.  Sorry man, its just a terrible plan.  I am not suggesting we get rid of Gavin, but handign him the job, whether that is DH or RF, is a terrible idea. 

Yeah, it’s been two straight years of dumpster diving in RF and all the prospects who had a chance to grab that spot flopped.  Also, it’s time to accept an OF with both Eloy and Vaughn (or Sheets) in the corners isn’t going to work defensively.  Time to invest in a legit RF and preferably one who hits from the left side.  Conforto should be the target and won’t break the bank like he could have if coming off a strong season.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

48 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

This. It's a terrible idea. They need to fill the damn hole in RF. Giving it to Sheets is a fireable offense.

Yeah, I resisted going to offseason stuff until recently, but if you want to diversify this offense with LH hitting and better OBP that doesn't chase and isn't a butcher in RF you pretty much circle Conforto because outside of putting Seager at 2b it ain't at that position.

Now, Marte as a RHH gets you great ABs vs RHP so it's an option there too and I wouldn't complain.

Now last year it felt like sox FA plans got severely screwed by QOs being more popular, and if offered, I wouldn't be shocked if Conforto would rather go into next offseason with hopefully a bounce back year and the certainty of the new CBA.

• bmags locked this topic