Offseason Thread

reiks12

57 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I think for the first time in our lifetime the Sox are going to act like a big market team this off season.  

Who would be your dream acquisitions at SP, 2B and RF.  I assume Max and Conforto and anyone not named Madrigal.

27 minutes ago, Quin said:

I feel like Gallo is gonna want out of NY.

Yankees are one of the few matches for Keuchel. We would likely need some ++ there so not sure how that would work out. I'm sure a lot scoff at the low average heavy power type, but if you can work out a deal there you do it. 

Edited by Buehrle>Wood
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Quin said:

I feel like Gallo is gonna want out of NY.

New York and Boston are truly tough places to play because of the fans and media.  Some people are made to play there, but many are not.  Gallo might be one of those guys.  Could be an interesting buy low talk to be had.

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I think for the first time in our lifetime the Sox are going to act like a big market team this off season.  

35 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Yes.  Yes I do.

Interesting.  Well I certainly hope you're right, but definitely a believe it when I see it kind of situation.  

I'd personally be tickled with Conforto, Escobar (or a trade for someone who is a better defender but hits from left side), Leury and a back-up catcher.  The latter three would all cost less than Scherzer.  

4 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Yankees are one of the few matches for Keuchel. We would likely need some ++ there so not sure how that would work out. I'm sure a lot scoff at the low average heavy power type, but if you can work out a deal there you do it. 

I think there will be some NL teams that are good matches for Keuchel.  The Giants and Cardinals are at the top of the list for me.  

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Conforto won't get half of the guaranteed $ Springer got.  

Unless he takes a weird short term buffer deal to stay with the Mets (Which Boras won't let happen), I'd be very, very, very surprised if he got less than 75 million like you are predicting.

I bet MLBTradeRumors predicts 6 for 132.    

2 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Unless he takes a weird short term buffer deal to stay with the Mets (Which Boras won't let happen), I'd be very, very, very surprised if he got less than 75 million like you are predicting.

I think in general the board underestimates contracts around this time of the offseason, but I still think MLBTradeRumors is way overshooting there.

4 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Why does this matter?  A prediction on a prediction?

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Dream acquisitions? Max, Lux, Bryant and Schwarber at DH. 

I've wondered if Bryant could play 2b. My guess is he wouldn't want to, and I can't think of many 2bs as tall as him. I think he's headed for a weird offseason of suitors because of his versatility. 

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Why does this matter?  A prediction on a prediction?

Because that is coming out next week.

My original post was just trying to explain that our fanbase is penciling Conforto into their offseason plans at stuff like 1/12 or 2 2/25 and I was just trying to point out that pipe dream was going to die when those predictions come out.

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

New York and Boston are truly tough places to play because of the fans and media.  Some people are made to play there, but many are not.  Gallo might be one of those guys.  Could be an interesting buy low talk to be had.

I mean they guy is a high strikeout low average 3 outcome player wherever he goes.  People really want him but I only see another Jack Cust/Adam dunn (white Sox version) and honestly I'm good without that.  

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I've wondered if Bryant could play 2b. My guess is he wouldn't want to, and I can't think of many 2bs as tall as him. I think he's headed for a weird offseason of suitors because of his versatility. 

Dude's an athlete. If LeMahieu can do it Bryant can too. If the Astros lose Correa I think they should sign Bryant for 3B and move Bregman back to SS.

I feel like if what @Harold's Leg Lift says it's true it's because Jerry  will have bent the will of the CBA toward his favor. Always feels like pre-contentious CBAs he'll make a big deal of staying within the rules, then post CBAs he'll go to the organized top end as a sign of like, good will.

Take for instance the sox spending all of their draft capital after years of staying into the slotted amounts. Or Albert belle signing post 94.

Just a thought.

12 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

I'll take the under on $20M and 5 years.  4/80M is about the max I could see.  My guess is closer to the Grandal deal, and maybe only three years.  

But I guess we'll see.  

3 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Because that is coming out next week.

My original post was just trying to explain that our fanbase is penciling Conforto into their offseason plans at stuff like 1/12 or 2 2/25 and I was just trying to point out that pipe dream was going to die when those predictions come out.

Uh, I haven't seen that at all here.  Everyone knows he is getting the QO, so he won't be cheap.

I get things might have soured, but I don't see Gallo as a guy the Yankees are going to veer from. They definitely want more contact, but also to be more LH.

I suppose he could force his way out, but to me I feel like they are going to prioritize their middle infield, catcher, DH spots to diversify their contact, handedness issues rather than trade out Gallo.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'll take the under on $20M and 5 years.  4/80M is about the max I could see.  My guess is closer to the Grandal deal, and maybe only three years.  

But I guess we'll see.  

I also see him pressing for an opt-out

• bmags locked this topic