Offseason Thread

reiks12

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I feel like if what @Harold's Leg Lift says it's true it's because Jerry  will have bent the will of the CBA toward his favor. Always feels like pre-contentious CBAs he'll make a big deal of staying within the rules, then post CBAs he'll go to the organized top end as a sign of like, good will.

Take for instance the sox spending all of their draft capital after years of staying into the slotted amounts. Or Albert belle signing post 94.

Just a thought.

There are a decent amount of White Sox related pressures that are pushing us that way as well.

4 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Because that is coming out next week.

My original post was just trying to explain that our fanbase is penciling Conforto into their offseason plans at stuff like 1/12 or 2 2/25 and I was just trying to point out that pipe dream was going to die when those predictions come out.

Not a single person has predicted 1/12 or 2/25 that I have seen.  And I was on the Conforto bandwagon since like May on this board. 

I would guess people on the low-end for Conforto might have pictured like 4 / 55 or /65 (the AJ Pollock deal), but I think in general people think he would be expensive but also a long term solution.

With so much of the league circling the infielders, hopefully a guy like that falls through to us.

But also just want to stress, the sox have some pretty specific needs in hitters. If you make a list, there are not that many hitters with great vs RHP splits, good at contact/obp at either RF/2b positions.

You are going to get a lot of board consensus there.

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Not a single person has predicted 1/12 or 2/25 that I have seen.  And I was on the Conforto bandwagon since like May on this board. 

You just said he wouldn't get 5/75.  But now you are leading the bandwagon?   That is all I'm trying to demonstrate here.  

Just now, GREEDY said:

You just said he wouldn't get 5/75.  But now you are leading the bandwagon?   That is all I'm trying to demonstrate here.  

Why are these mutually exclusive?  I don't think anyone is guaranteeing Conforto 5 years.  I am taking the under on 4/$75M.  I think he'll get between $15-20M AAV on 3-4 year deal.  Just said I think the absolutel max he gets is 4/$80M. Not sure what is confusing about any of that. 

And yes, I think Conforto is far and away the best fit for RF for the Sox on the FA market. I don't think it is even particularly close.  So yes, I have been the leading the bandwagon on him for months.  Doesn't mean I think he's going to get a Springer deal.  Springer is a better player with far less question marks, tho his first season is Toronto was a disaster.  I think the deals you're talking about would have been possible for Conforto if he had a big 2021, but I think his struggles will ultimately drop him into the range mentioned above.  Which is a big part of the reason I think he is 1) attainable to the Sox; and 2) actually of interest because I wouldn't touch a 5/$120M+ deal with him with a 10 foot pole. 

On 8/27/2020 at 12:08 PM,  Flash said: 

Only dropping this to note the date of my post. In hindsight, I'm less bullish following '21 season but still want him in RF vs. most other available options. 

'Why all the Nimmo love on this board? If we wanted to target a Mets OF, lets pursue Comforto. Expensive and only signed through next year but a badass. Nimmo...meh'

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

The obsession with moving one of the best defensive third basemen in baseball back to second base confounds me.

We saw firsthand how excellent infield defense can impact a series. I think people are looking for a way to shove the best 9 hitters they can get into the lineup and ignore the impacts on the defense.

Moncada needs to stay at 3rd.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

Syndergaard, Bryant at 3B (move Yoan back to 2B), and Conforto or Marte in RF.

We would be adding more players that can play the same position. We need to move away from that unless the player is willing to move to a different position permanently but otherwise no thank you.

Edited by maloney.adam

One thing to add, but if the Sox are planning to spend like crazy then it’s all but certain Jerry is looking to sell the team in the next couple of years and is looking to quickly build up the value of the franchise.  This is the exact playbook the Tribune executed when they finally decided to sell the Cubs.  And with rumors of some smaller ownership changes, maybe we really are seeing an end of the Reinsdorf dynasty.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, bmags said:

I feel like if we are doing the "with no FA budget what are the additions to SP, 2b, RF, DH that most improve the sox" I think it's

SP: Scherzer
2B: Seager
RF: Bryant
DH: Schwarber

I don't see the Schwarber connection unless Vaughn is traded.  I don't want to trade him.

• bmags locked this topic