Offseason Thread

reiks12

Just now, FoxForce2 said:

There are rumors that Madrigal rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Anyone know more about that?

I've asked this multiple times from those "in the know" that have insinuated as such.  No actual stories I have seen other than him just being kind of a strange dude.  Which I would agree.  There were some videos of him interacting with TA and other teammates during ST that were just sort of...awkward.  But IMO, that certainly wasn't enough to trade him for 2 months of a closer on a team that didn't need one. Water under the bridge tho, Sox can recover from that deal if they stop making dumb shortsighted trades. 

• Like 1

* Speed 

* Smarts 

* Baserunning 

* Defense 

All things that were hyped Madrigal was great at the minute he would hit a ML Field. 

Not one of those things was anywhere close to being true. 

In fact the only thing that match the scouting report,  Lots of Contact.     Yes, and it was a lot of very soft contact. 

Time to move on. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I've asked this multiple times from those "in the know" that have insinuated as such.  No actual stories I have seen other than him just being kind of a strange dude.  Which I would agree.  There were some videos of him interacting with TA and other teammates during ST that were just sort of...awkward.  But IMO, that certainly wasn't enough to trade him for 2 months of a closer on a team that didn't need one. Water under the bridge tho, Sox can recover from that deal if they stop making dumb shortsighted trades. 

raBBit posted - "Definitely seemed personal. Madrigal is not an "old school" kid for lack of better words. He didn't take to instruction and didn't feel like he needed to change his game. The old school people in the org were always divided on him."

Which says a lot. Team chemistry can't be overlooked. For a proven Reggie Jackson to say that he is "The straw that stirs the drink." when he joined the Yankees is one thing  - for a rook with questionable aspects of his game to blare that he's Mr. 3000 is something altogether different. Even Pete Rose, while coming in as "Charlie Hustle', wasn't jamming it in his teammates faces as a rook. 

39 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

The trade will end up being a huge L on Hahn's resume. 

However it's been said by many including Steve Stone, let's not kid ourselves on Madrigal ever living up to his draft status. 

I said at the time and say now, adding Heuer to the deal will cost the Sox more in terms of their “multi-championship” window.

They overpaid in trade capital for his option year, that doesn’t even work in terms of roster construction even if he did pitched well (which he should next year). Just too much $ for the bullpen, when it’s needed at RF 2B SP.

Lynn’s mid season extension, Keuchel and Grandal remain for two more years if Dallas vests. Coupled with Abreu this season (and likely beyond) plus Kimbrel / Hendriks your over $100M for these six, limits any other moves unless they significantly bump payroll further than what they did in July. I just don’t see it happening, but perhaps we will be pleasantly surprised.

30 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Definitely seemed personal. Madrigal is not an "old school" kid for lack of better words. He didn't take to instruction and didn't feel like he needed to change his game. The old school people in the org were always divided on him. 

Good for Madrigal, I don't have much faith in the "old school" crowd. I hope he becomes an allstar player for the Cubs for the next 5-6 years.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, BrittBurnsFan said:

I was shocked as well!  I liked the honesty (if those were his true feelings) but I as I listened I kept thinking to myself "wow, Stone really does not like Nick"!  It almost seemed personal. 

Trashing players on their way out the door was the White Sox way for a long time. I thought they got away from that for a while. I guess maybe it's back.

Stone seems like he likes to trash players, especially on Twitter, and then go the opposite on telecasts. He's trashed Grandal a lot, but on most telecasts in the second half this year, he spoke about him like he was a first ballot HOFer. He also trashed Moncada on Twitter, but raves about him on TV. Eloy also, to some extent.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Fire 1

53 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

* Speed 

* Smarts 

* Baserunning 

* Defense 

All things that were hyped Madrigal was great at the minute he would hit a ML Field. 

Not one of those things was anywhere close to being true. 

In fact the only thing that match the scouting report,  Lots of Contact.     Yes, and it was a lot of very soft contact. 

Time to move on. 

I liked that he didn’t strike out much and put the ball in play when we needed contact.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Oh, no doubt.  Eloy was a mess after his first couple weeks back.  He's got some serious work to do this offseason.  But I believe in him.  I think he'll be a monster nex season, and hopefully Sox are smart and DH him most of the time to avoid needless injuries.

Frankly, the numbers I posted are what he did in 2020 extrapolated out over 150 games.  I don't think that is peak Eloy.  He is a special hitter. 

I think he can be a special hitter. But I think he will be injury prone.  Now making him a DH will help but he is a big guy like Aaron Judge. He has had nagging injuries limiting his games played for NY. . 

52 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Good for Madrigal, I don't have much faith in the "old school" crowd. I hope he becomes an allstar player for the Cubs for the next 5-6 years.

I agree wholeheartedly. I can’t stand how MLB fans put so much faith in old school ideas. If these people had their way we’d all still be using pay phones and typewriters. 

33 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Trashing players on their way out the door was the White Sox way for a long time. I thought they got away from that for a while. I guess maybe it's back.

Stone seems like he likes to trash players, especially on Twitter, and then go the opposite on telecasts. He's trashed Grandal a lot, but on most telecasts in the second half this year, he spoke about him like he was a first ballot HOFer. He also trashed Moncada on Twitter, but raves about him on TV. Eloy also, to some extent.

It seems like the older Steve Stone gets, the more bitter he gets. He dishes out insults on Twitter but then he gets all sensitive when people push back. 

2 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

I agree wholeheartedly. I can’t stand how MLB fans put so much faith in old school ideas. If these people had their way we’d all still be using pay phones and typewriters. 

Baseball is the only industry on the planet where experience and wisdom are considered bad.  And people wonder why the game is such a fucking mess.  Weird times.  

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

I liked that he didn’t strike out much and put the ball in play when we needed contact.

Madrigal obviously doesn't fit the criteria for a ballplayer in 2021. He makes contact and will never blast a ton of homers. I liked him, though. The guy from the Guardians who came over didn't show any power as a member of the Sox.

18 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I would have been a lot more upset about losing Nick if he could stay on the playing field.  It does us no good to have Madrigal if you get 50 games from him and 100 from someone like Danny Mendick.

I think we gave up on him way too early. Sure he made mistakes and was injured often but I feel like he had a lot more learning and maturing in his future. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Quin said:

I love this because it backtracks on itself.

"He was on the VERY back end...of the A Tier."

Like, you're trying so hard to discount Keuchel as a free agent signing that summer while also acknowledging that he actually was fairly ranked. He got higher than projected by MLBTR, but w/e. You probably would have been happy if they gave #3 free agent Eric Hosmer an albatross contract, even though the rankings from the time basically say "yeah, this contract is gonna be fucking crippling."

Keuchel sucked last year. The defense sure didn't help, but neither did giving up home runs. Hopefully rebuilding innings can help him. If not, he's likely gone (I don't see the team letting him get to 160 IP if he pitches the same way).

Why would we give possibly give Hosmer a contract when we already had what now amounts to six 1B on the roster, if you include Collins (who was still in the picture then)...?   

Not to mention we actually needed Wheeler the most.

And that's actually a pretty good reminder how much we have wasted at 1B/DH since 2011...you can make fun of that signing, but it wasn't much worse than the friends and family plan with washed up Machado relatives.

Btw, any contract where you're actively rooting for the option year not to vest in early Year 2 is probably not all that great...certainly not at nearly $20 million per year.  

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Why would we give possibly give Hosmer a contract when we already had what now amounts to six 1B on the roster, if you include Collins (who was still in the picture then)...?   

Not to mention we actually needed Wheeler the most.

And that's actually a pretty good reminder how much we have wasted at 1B/DH since 2011...you can make fun of that signing, but it wasn't much worse than the friends and family plan with washed up Machado relatives.

Back when Hosmer was a free agent and they could have moved on from Abreu, it would have been a BIG MOVE to get mega star and Royals hero Eric Hosmer. Plus, he was Top Tier, of the A-Class Free Agents.

The friends and family plan was stupid and the Sox shouldn't have relied on options to woo Machado. But you know? We aren't reportedly telling teams to take a Top 50 prospect (if not Top 20) to get out of Alonso and Jay.

• bmags locked this topic