Offseason Thread

reiks12

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

That said, Rosario has played out of his mind defensively this post-season, and never noted for his defense.

Is Soler actually worse than Sheets or Vaughn or Burger out in RF???

That would be hard to believe.

And how does he stack up against Eloy?...because we already know Jimenez doesn't have the arm or the ability to actually hit cut-off men, either.

Also Soler is certainly better defensively than Goodwin.  And a 40 homer candidate at our hitter friendly park.

1 hour ago, hankchifan said:

Also Soler is certainly better defensively than Goodwin.  And a 40 homer candidate at our hitter friendly park.

If we had $1 for every time we've heard that we would be able to afford Leury Garcia's 2022 Sox contract at least...

At GRF in 73 career at-bats, 6 HR'S and 15 RBI's.   That would be 49 HR's/123 RBI's at that same pace for an entire season of 600 at-bats.

https://southsideshowdown.com/2021/10/27/chicago-white-sox-jorge-soler-make-great-addition/

Edited by caulfield12

16 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Sadly, this likely won’t happen with Tony and Dave Duncan’s son on the team’s payroll.

11 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Maybe I’m missing something, but that chart is pretty poor evidence of needing to shift more.  Like I bet the r2 is like 0.20 or less.  Not suggesting there isn’t some correlation there, but no idea what Pnoles is trying to accomplish with that chart.

What’s weird about that chart is there’s this cluster of 6 teams - SF, TOR, SD, COL, STL, and CLE that is somehow breaking what would be a generally decent trend defined by the other 24. I’d be interested in a greater analysis of that - low shifting but it isn’t translating to lots of extra hits. Why? Is there something about the players on those teams that is overwhelming the trend?

6 hours ago, hankchifan said:

Why is Brian Goodwin the baseline here?  Soler’s defense offsets a massive chunk of the value he provides offensively.  And if we’re looking to rock the weakest defensive outfield then just go with Vaughn in RF.  None of this makes any sense.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Why is Brian Goodwin the baseline here?  Soler’s defense offsets a massive chunk of the value he provides offensively.  And if we’re looking to rock the weakest defensive outfield then just go with Vaughn in RF.  None of this makes any sense.

Can Vaughn be expected to hit even 30-35 homers next year?

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Can Vaughn be expected to hit even 30-35 homers next year?

Are HRs the only basis for offensive production?  Soler has barely been an above league average hitter over his last 800 plate appearances.  I’m confident that Vaughn would blow that out of the water while also providing slightly better defense.  Not sure why we’re wasting an ounce of time discussing Soler other than certain posters overreacting to a hot playoff stretch or over-valuing someone’s country of origin.

31 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I don't think he was ever expected to have that much power.  I honestly looked at him as a 25-30 HR guy, .300/.370 guy which is insanely valueable

33 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Are HRs the only basis for offensive production?  Soler has barely been an above league average hitter over his last 800 plate appearances.  I’m confident that Vaughn would blow that out of the water while also providing slightly better defense.  Not sure why we’re wasting an ounce of time discussing Soler other than certain posters overreacting to a hot playoff stretch or over-valuing someone’s country of origin.

Because he’s just two season removed from a 3.6 fWAR.

Because he will cost a closer to Eaton’s 2021 salary than Conforto’s projected 2022 salary.

Because he’s likelier to sign with the White Sox than most other teams at even slightly less salary…the Luis Robert discount to play with Abreu and Moncada.

Because he’s super familiar with the AL Central pitchers already.

Because it’s my birthday so one added rebuttal point.

Edited by caulfield12

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Because he’s just two season removed from a 3.6 fWAR.

Because he will cost a closer to Eaton’s 2021 salary than Conforto’s projected 2022 salary.

Because he’s likelier to sign with the White Sox than most other teams at even slightly less salary…the Luis Robert discount to play with Abreu and Moncada.

Because he’s super familiar with the AL Central pitchers already.

Because it’s my birthday so one added rebuttal point.

These reasons all suck and we aren’t facing AL Central teams in the playoffs.  We need to improve the roster for post-season purposes, which means improved defense where possible and better offensive balance.  Soler helps in neither regard.

7 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

What’s weird about that chart is there’s this cluster of 6 teams - SF, TOR, SD, COL, STL, and CLE that is somehow breaking what would be a generally decent trend defined by the other 24. I’d be interested in a greater analysis of that - low shifting but it isn’t translating to lots of extra hits. Why? Is there something about the players on those teams that is overwhelming the trend?

Well the shift stats are not as simple as where does a player actually hit a ball. It also has to take account how teams actually pitch that hitter. Some teams shift a batter to pull and pitch him inside. Other teams may shift batters to pull and pitch him away. Still other teams will throw a guy nothing but offspeed while others throw a lot of fastballs, etc.

6 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

To trade for him at $7.5 mill? I they think they will go way cheaper than that at backup C.

I think they'll go cheaper as well, I just thought he would've been be a good backup C for the Sox, and someone who wouldn't crush you if he had to start for an extended period of time. Oh well, on to the next one.  

Just now, Sleepy Harold said:

I think they'll go cheaper as well, I just thought he would've been be a good backup C for the Sox, and someone who wouldn't crush you if he had to start for an extended period of time. Oh well, on to the next one.  

Yeah I think he would be fine too, but you would probably be pushing Grandal into more of a DH/1B/back up C role (sort of like Victor Martinez when he was with the Tigers). With so many guys receiving DH at bats, it would be tough.

I'd be shocked if Collins isn't the backup again next year.  Pitchers seemed to like throwing to him (for whatever reason) and it seems like he's Jerry Narron's pet project.  Assuming no changes in CBA regarding arbitration, this is also his last year before he becomes arb eligible. 

Edited by Bunt Ritual
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bunt Ritual said:

I'd be shocked if Collins isn't the backup again next year.  Pitchers seemed to like throwing to him (for whatever reason) and it seems like he's Jerry Narron's pet project.  Assuming no changes in CBA regarding arbitration, this is also his last year before he becomes arb eligible. 

I’d be shocked if he’s brought back

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Easy prediction is they will make a ton of moves and make people around here nervous about their chances.

For sure.  I've long thought they'll be Soxtalk darlings this offseason and early 2022.  Until we beat them, then it will be "we beat them so not impressed.  It's just Detroit."

• bmags locked this topic