Offseason Thread

reiks12

Yeah, was told it wasnt as likely as was being reported, was beginning to expect it today. Seems real unlikely there is a market for him at that price given what happened with Miley today. Teams are gonna hoard $$$ in anticipation of the new CBA it looks like.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, chw42 said:

6 bWAR is a vast over value for him. bWAR tends to go crazy when a good pitcher has a good year with a bad defense behind him. I think his true value is probably somewhere around 2-3 WAR. 

And that is probably true. But he instantly becomes the cubs best starter and is incredibly cheap. Love it for the cubs 

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why are you thinking this?  Feels like you’ve said this before too.

Just seems like a logical fit, as it’s a lefty hitting 2nd baseman and he’s the type of guy Tampa looks to trade as he gets more expensive. I would be fine with it if they go big in RF.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I still think there is a chance of a Keuchel for La Stella deal.  Might have to throw in some cash and include a small piece like Collins.

LaStella had surgery recently and will be out 4 months.  I’m of the opinion Giants would rather just keep him though and use their available money to find a pitcher than to take on Dallas.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

LaStella had surgery recently and will be out 4 months.  I’m of the opinion Giants would rather just keep him though and use their available money to find a pitcher than to take on Dallas.

The Giants need four starting pitchers though and I doubt they’ll address all four spots in free agency.  Adding a guy like Keuchel provides some certainty while they go out and pursue some of the bigger fish.  Obviously it’s got to be at a price point that’s attractive to them, which probably means us eating a little bit of money and giving up a small piece.

And with La Stella’s recent surgery, I think that makes it more motivating for them to move him.  Plus dude will make $11.5M in 2023 which is pretty high given what 2B are going for nowadays.  I don’t know, I just don’t see La Stella being an overly valuable trade chip given the front-loading of his contract and the fact he was injured / underperformed last year.  Throw in his latest surgery that puts OD readiness at risk and I think that contract is probably underwater.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Giants need four starting pitchers though and I doubt they’ll address all four spots in free agency.  Adding a guy like Keuchel provides some certainty while they go out and pursue some of the bigger fish.  Obviously it’s got to be at a price point that’s attractive to them, which probably means us eating a little bit of money and giving up a small piece.

And with La Stella’s recent surgery, I think that makes it more motivating for them to move him.  Plus dude will make $11.5M in 2023 which is pretty high given what 2B are going for nowadays.  I don’t know, I just don’t see La Stella being an overly valuable trade chip given the front-loading of his contract and the fact he was injured / underperformed last year.  Throw in his latest surgery that puts OD readiness at risk and I think that contract is probably underwater.

If they’re keeping Desclafini/Gausman and likely sacrificing  Alex Wood for salary reasons, no way they’d take on Keuchel…

Because if that’s the case, why not just keep Wood and not make a trade at all for a much more expensive and ineffective pitcher? 

Plus they have to bring back Belt as well.

Even then, would that solve 2B?   And who would take Keuchel’s and Rodon’s spots if both go?

Giolito, Lynn, Cease, Kopech for limited innings…then?  Lopez/Lambert/Stiever?

It wouldn’t make the payroll any cheaper if they had to spend $6-7 million on another #4/5 veteran FA starter…which is even more of a crapshoot than Keuchel in all likelihood.

Yet another overlooked aspect of the Madrigal trade, blowing up the payroll by another $6-12 million.

Edited by caulfield12

Most of our fanbase looks at the likely-hood that the Sox can repeat as central division champs, and seem set on any offseason moves should be directed at trying to set the team up to specifically win games next October... while virtually every other club in the league is ultimately focused on building to win their division. It is a unique situation the Sox find themselves in, one that honestly needs to be taken fully advantage of.

I am flirting with the idea that this could present an opportunity to attempt to use these next couple years where they are likely greater than 50% to win the division, to build deeper system and hopefully set the club up for very long term success, way past the current window.  Instead of pushing every last chip into the middle (when it might only negligibly help their actual chances of winning a World Series).  Fans won't want to hear this but adding Conforto (who I love) would only improve our WS odds by maybe 2%, at the most.

Maybe the answer is trading from our major league ready LF/1B/DH log jam for multiple prospects?  Or just keeping the Rodon comp pick instead of burning it for the right to outbid the entire league for a free agent?  Dealing Kopech and/or Crochet in this weird bridge year where they will possibly both be spent long before October if they are being stretched out to start?

Hell, if you want to get really crazy with it you could eat a bad contract (that hopefully would still help the big club this year) and get some young players back in return (something the Sox should have done the entire rebuild).  

Another positive to using this strategy is if you accumulate young talent, they can then be flipped at a deadline if a move is necessary or if one presents extreme value.  If you don't have young talent, you can't make those moves, no matter how obvious they may be.  

I know this won't be a popular taek but the division being SO soft is really the only thing very unique about the Sox' chances compared to other teams right now and that advantage needs to be exploited.  The obvious idea would be to stockpile relievers and platoon players at any cost.  I just think it might be a sneaky idea to use these years to try and rebuild the system, when it won't even tangibly change our actual chances to win a World Series.

Edited by GREEDY
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

We couldn't trade Keuchel for a Stella beer while paying half of his salary. 

Keuchel will have to go in a package AND the Sox will have to eat a big chunk of salary to move him. I guess it could be worked, but it's pretty much a rock/hard place deal on Keuch.

On 11/5/2021 at 6:04 PM, Pal said:

Yeah, was told it wasnt as likely as was being reported, was beginning to expect it today. Seems real unlikely there is a market for him at that price given what happened with Miley today. Teams are gonna hoard $$$ in anticipation of the new CBA it looks like.

Oops.

• Haha 1

I expect Keuchel to bounce back pretty well next year, and the Sox will lose their ass if they try and dump him for a bag of balls.  I don't think anyone in their right mind thinks Keuchel is 'done', do they?  If they do try trading him, they're gonna have to pick up a chunk of that salary regardless unless it's swapping contracts

I roll the dice with him locked in at 5

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• bmags locked this topic