Offseason Thread

reiks12

Just now, maloney.adam said:

I think it’s more likely he’s in his office right now staring out the window wondering what happened in the 2nd half of the season and in the postseason. Lol 

He and KW have to wish they didn't gloat so much about acquiring Kimbral...how many times did we read the quotes about KW and RH saying if they could add one guy "Kimbral was that guy"!  Ouch!  I agree that Kimbral didn't produce and that is on him...but yikes!  HE was that guy? 

14 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Greinke was absolutely terrible down the stretch. He's finished I think.

I am talking about a 5th starter on a 1 year deal. Not backing up the truck. We’re pretty covered 1-4. Was just an idea in my sad state. I’ll have to study the FA lists - I am sure there are plenty of other names that would fit the bill. 

19 minutes ago, BrittBurnsFan said:

He and KW have to wish they didn't gloat so much about acquiring Kimbral...how many times did we read the quotes about KW and RH saying if they could add one guy "Kimbral was that guy"!  Ouch!  I agree that Kimbral didn't produce and that is on him...but yikes!  HE was that guy? 

Relievers are a crapshoot. One year they can really good and the next year they can be bad or they can be really good the 1st half of the season and bad for the 2nd half of the season. Heuer is a good example of this. He wasn’t pitching all that great with the Sox and than all of a sudden he was pitching great with the Cubs. What changed? Was it a change of scenery? Was it a change in pitching philosophy or mechanics? With Kimbrel, I think it had a lot to do with how they were using him. It just didn’t work out this year.

Edited by maloney.adam

10 hours ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

Rodon should be made a qualifying offer. 18.4 million for 1 year? He’s only 28 and change, if he signs GREAT, if not we get draft pick or picks and maybe some international signing dollars, or all of the above. He worth the risk for 1 year. With this year under his belt, a winter of rest, he may back even better. Show me a 28 year old we can get that can throw between 95 and 99 other than Rodon, that’s available?? Don’t think so. PS, LOL, to ShoelessRob, and all in fun, you just topped all the moves that the Hawk made when he was GM. Like I said, all in fun, we all want to have fun and have the Sox Win Next Year

You accidentally hit on the problem.

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

We need lineup balance, defense and OBP from those 2 spots. Romy solves none of that. 

The team doesn't have the money to go big at both spots while signing relievers. Grab Conforto and call it a day. 

2 minutes ago, ron883 said:

The team doesn't have the money to go big at both spots while signing relievers. Grab Conforto and call it a day. 

Yep. Looking at free agency, there is really no one after Semien. Being 31, I feel like he is more realistic for the Sox than the other guys available at SS.

Lots of talk of trading Vaughn and Sheets.  I'd hate to sell low but I'd definitely sell high on either.  I'm sure they shopped Vaughn a bit so they know where his value was before his slump this year.

One of them is the starting 1B next year for me.  Abreu is poor defensively and only getting older.  Him not executing a routine scoop of on Tim's error was the nail in the coffin yesterday. Error goes to TA but there are random high school first basemen scooping that 9 out of 10 times.   He is going to have to get used to spending at least some time at DH.

Yaz also needs about 150 PA at DH as well in 2022.  Eloy could use 100 too.  Can't have 5 guys at DH, so if either is tradable,  I think you do it.  

2 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Assuming Rodon walks, where are we plugging in another starter? Unless you deal Keuchel somehow, you still have Lynn, Giolito, Cease, and Kopech sliding into a starting role.

Dallas has very little trade value...just gotta hope he is a serviceable 5th starter.

Off-season needs (no particular order):

• Right Fielder (one that can hit left-handed preferred.)
  • Second Baseman (preferably a lefty but righty could be ok with a lefty in RF)
  • Reliever to replace Kimbrel (whether you decline option or pick it up and trade him somehow)
  • Reliever to replace Kopech (Kopech slides into starting role)
  • Veteran backup C. The time Grandal was out was brutal
  • Like 2

Just now, GREEDY said:

Lots of talk of trading Vaughn and Sheets.  I'd hate to sell low but I'd definitely sell high on either.  I'm sure they shopped Vaughn a bit so they know where his value was before his slump this year.

One of them is the starting 1B next year for me.  Abreu is poor defensively and only getting older.  Him not executing a routine scoop of on Tim's error was the nail in the coffin yesterday. Error goes to TA but there are random high school first basemen scooping that 9 out of 10 times.   He is going to have to get used to spending at least some time at DH.

Yaz also needs about 150 PA at DH as well in 2022.  Eloy could use 100 too.  Can't have 5 guys at DH, so if either is tradable,  I think you do it.  

Sheets is not better than Abreu at 1B....not sure about Vaughn but I believe some think he is not tall enough.

4 minutes ago, wegner said:

Dallas has very little trade value...just gotta hope he is a serviceable 5th starter.

Considering that he was brought in for his veteran playoff experience...that sucks.  But I agree with you that is most likely what we get...more of this year's performance.

26 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I am talking about a 5th starter on a 1 year deal. Not backing up the truck. We’re pretty covered 1-4. Was just an idea in my sad state. I’ll have to study the FA lists - I am sure there are plenty of other names that would fit the bill. 

Yeah, Greinke really isn't any better than Keuchel at this point I don't think. Had a FIP of 4.71 and that got worse as the year went on.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, Greinke really isn't any better than Keuchel at this point I don't think. Had a FIP of 4.71 and that got worse as the year went on.

But he's got that experience that is invaluable, Ray.

5 minutes ago, wegner said:

I bet Rick Hahn is counting the days until SoxFest.......is over.

Unless they make some bold moves before then.  The team is going to be handcuffed a bit with money, but a few creative moves could free up some cash and allow them to make a splash.  If they end up with a true RF and another solid SP (and maybe a good 2B) by then, SoxFest could be a better time for Hahn.

Pipe Dream I know but I would do the following:

Pick up Kimbrel option; hope with a full season of 8th inning his results improve

Package Crochet, Burger and Keuchel for Conforto

Offer Rodon QO to recover a draft pick

Kopech to the rotation

Vaughn/Abreu split 1B/DH 

Romy takes Leury's spot at utility

Sign Chris Taylor 3/45 for 2b

Sign Scherzer 3/112 the playoffs have shown us this team needs an ace.

Resign Tepera 2/18

Edit: Conforto is a free agent! Nevermind I guess - nonetheless, I think packaging Crochet with Keuchel for a legit RF/2b threat is the right move to make.

Edited by FLsoxfan

11 hours ago, Timmy U said:

I live in NYC. Many of my friends and coworkers are Mets fans. They haaaaaaaaaate Conforto. They claim he is their least clutch player. And he’s gonna be expensive.

Fan opinion is somewhat worthless.  Conforto has a career 124 wRC+ (meaning hes 24% abouve league average), he hits for power from the left side, he's serviceable defensively.  Career OBP of .356.  He's far and away the best fit for the Sox on the FA market.  

He won't be super cheap, but you're getting hit a significant discount from what he'd have costed prior to 21.  I think a deal similar to Yaz gets it done.  3-4 years at $15-18M AAV.  

I need to think about this for a while - To fresh off the loss. I'm not even sure the front office knows what they're doing with Kopech next season let alone this team. Tony made some good points earlier in this thread. All year we lose more than we win vs. winning teams. I'm not even sure we had the most wins in our own division in the second half! So yes the front office will need to address this. 

Edited by smellysox

• bmags locked this topic