Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
reiks12

Offseason Thread

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

LOL this is absolutely amazing.

Sox are in the middle of their window with a very talented roster. Playoffs are a crap shoot. Season was disappointing but blowing it up is absolutely 100000% not the answer. Anyone stating so likes rebuilding and not actually winning baseball games which is just disturbing.

This team, currently, isn't winning any post season series.  They do need to make a few tweaks like they did from '04-'05 and that means trading a few of the pieces.  But no, you certainly don't blow the whole thing up.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, soulfly said:

I'm honestly not sure how they fix this team.  Their lack of drive and awful fundamental baseball is astounding.  Right now, this team is worse off than it was after the '20 season.  There are bigger holes to fill and less money and resources to fix them.

I feel likE this is the biggest glaring hole and has been for several years. It was bad with RR and has continued with the great HOF baseball mind of TLR. At what point is it the players fault? 

Edited by ShoeLessRob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, soulfly said:

This team, currently, isn't winning any post season series.  They do need to make a few tweaks like they did from '04-'05 and that means trading a few of the pieces.  But no, you certainly don't blow the whole thing up.

The worst team in baseball would win a 5 game series vs the best team in baseball 20-25% of the time.

Every time someone says "isn't winning any post season series" they just show how out of touch they are with statistics and odds in baseball.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ShoeLessRob said:

I feel likE this is the biggest glaring hole and has been for several years. It was bad with RR and has continued with the great HOF baseball mind of TLR. At what point is it the players fault? 

Remember when they had drafted Madrigal and said his baseball IQ was off the charts?  Then we all saw how dumb he was on the field?  So either they were wrong about his baseball IQ, or this org actively made him more dumb on the field.  So imagine what that would do to average players.  We see the results.  I think it's an organization thing, not so much a player thing.  Though, there are some dumb players no doubt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The worst team in baseball would win a 5 game series vs the best team in baseball 20-25% of the time.

Every time someone says "isn't winning any post season series" they just show how out of touch they are with statistics and odds in baseball.

That's great, but the worst teams in baseball don't make the post season.  Yes, in the post season anything can happen.  But it's also when teams get exposed.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

Garbage team making garbage offseason moves, SWEET LFG

Playing in a garbage division where no one else is competing right now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

LOL this is absolutely amazing.

Sox are in the middle of their window with a very talented roster. Playoffs are a crap shoot. Season was disappointing but blowing it up is absolutely 100000% not the answer. Anyone stating so likes rebuilding and not actually winning baseball games which is just disturbing.

We have 10 guys that can play FB, Vaughn needs a slot, and Eloy is a man without a position. The Sox have to maximize their assets and direct them to fill holes.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The worst team in baseball would win a 5 game series vs the best team in baseball 20-25% of the time.

Every time someone says "isn't winning any post season series" they just show how out of touch they are with statistics and odds in baseball.

Ehhhh, you had me but now you’re losing me. 
 

Blowing up this team would be dumb, most sane people would agree. However, what happened this week can’t be chalked up as some “random occurrence” like you seem to be painting. 
 

You mentioned statistics. Here is a fairly important one: 

This team showed all season, including the playoffs, they simply aren’t at the level of other playoff caliber teams. They need to seriously address that moving forward, and not just hope for the best moving forward.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, soulfly said:

That's great, but the worst teams in baseball don't make the post season.  Yes, in the post season anything can happen.  But it's also when teams get exposed.

Yeah, and the point is the Sox have a much better chance than 20-25%. The series odds were about 56/44. If you thought there was zero chance this team could win a post season series you should have bet your house on the Astros.

Make the playoffs as many times as you can in a row and that's how you increase your WS odds. Selling off all those pieces is a laughable answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tony said:

Ehhhh, you had me but now you’re losing me. 
 

Blowing up this team would be dumb, most sane people would agree. However, what happened this week can’t be chalked up as some “random occurrence” like you seem to be painting. 
 

You mentioned statistics. Here is a fairly important one: 

This team showed all season, including the playoffs, they simply aren’t at the level of other playoff caliber teams. They need to seriously address that moving forward, and not just hope for the best moving forward.

My point is even if they're worse, if they make the playoffs multiple times they increase their chances of winning any series or WS.

They were outplayed, there's no debate there, but they could win that series at about that same 44% rate if they played it again.

I think they need to get more people who work counts in RF and 2B; it's really important not to K a lot. The biggest progress this team made was Yaz and Robert cut their K-Rate's significantly. They need to do that as a team in general.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As time goes on, I realize more and more how unbelievable that run was for the starting pitchers in that 2005 ALCS against the Angels.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Barring off-season additions or subtractions 

1. Move Moncada to 2B

2. Burger plays 3B

3. Vaughn and Engel platoon RF

4. Sheets and Vaughn platoon DH (means Vaughn plays everyday)

5. Leury only plays once maybe twice per 7 days.  

6. Kopech back to being a SP

7. Fix Eloy's stance bc it was horrible once he came back and the results showed down the stretch 

8. Cut Keuchel loose

9. Cut hitting coach loose

10. Learn what launch angle is and start hitting the damn ball in the air

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First moves:

Pick up Kimbrel's option; promptly trade him

Decline Cesar's option

QO to Rodon

Sign Marcus Semien for 2B

 

  • Like 7
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trade for veteran NL talent that will have no immediate impact. Get some NL arms not use to facing AL hitters.

I really don't get the idea of trading Eloy.

We fail to realize that this is a young team.  They got beat by a team with plenty of postseason experience.

The Rays didn't fare well either.

We really need some knee jerk reactions.  Hahn may help out there.

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

My point is even if they're worse, if they make the playoffs multiple times they increase their chances of winning any series or WS.

They were outplayed, there's no debate there, but they could win that series at about that same 44% rate if they played it again.

I think they need to get more people who work counts in RF and 2B; it's really important not to K a lot. The biggest progress this team made was Yaz and Robert cut their K-Rate's significantly. They need to do that as a team in general.

The concept that making the playoffs increases your odds to win a World Series seems pretty…basic. I think we get it. 
 

I think the point is making the playoffs and just hoping for the best with this unit isn’t the answer. I’m not advocating a trade of Abreu or Anderson or Giolito or Lynn….but additions and serious changes need to occur. Again, this unit gave us enough data this season that they aren’t good enough to hang with the best teams in the league. It’s not luck, it’s what happened on the field on a very regular basis this year. 

They can’t just come back with the same group next year and say “Listen, we just gotta make the postseason and roll the dice!”

They have to get much better. On the field and off. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wegner said:

As time goes on, I realize more and more how unbelievable that run was for the starting pitchers in that 2005 ALCS against the Angels.

One record that will truly never be broken. It was ridiculous then and even moreso now. 
 

It also speaks to the absolute giant horseshoe that was firmly placed up the ass of that team. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rays got defeated too. Sometimes you just don't look good in a short series. That said, Sox clearly have major holes. Getting a defensive catcher, a starting RF and more SP are at the top of the list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The always hilarious 1st offseason meltdown thread from the worst fanbase in all of sports.

This thread is already embarassing. The #1 offseason priority needs to be for 75% of Soxtalk to become Cubs fans.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just terrible takes in this thread. Sox won 93 games despite 4 major injuries that cost us a few games. They got outpitched, outhit, and outdefended by the class of the AL and somehow they’re garbage? Nah. 

They’re still the third best team in the AL, and IMO would have beaten the crap out of the wildcard but drew the absolute worst matchup in Houston and got flat out exploited.

Stop acting like emotional children, put your big boy pants on, and grow up. We lost. We will be back next year and better. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CeaseAndExist said:

The always hilarious 1st offseason meltdown thread from the worst fanbase in all of sports.

This thread is already embarassing. The #1 offseason priority needs to be for 75% of Soxtalk to become Cubs fans.

change is hard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, soulfly said:

So either they were wrong about his baseball IQ, or this org actively made him more dumb on the field. 

Or he’s a kid in his rookie season that is going to mature.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Just terrible takes in this thread. Sox won 93 games despite 4 major injuries that cost us a few games. They got outpitched, outhit, and outdefended by the class of the AL and somehow they’re garbage? Nah. 

They’re still the third best team in the AL, and IMO would have beaten the crap out of the wildcard but drew the absolute worst matchup in Houston and got flat out exploited.

Stop acting like emotional children, put your big boy pants on, and grow up. We lost. We will be back next year and better. 

The way they struggled offensively against Houston is same way they struggled the whole 2nd half.  They need more power and launch angle.  Also there’s no guarantee they’re better next year, as they were at their best when Rodon was a CY candidate.  Their offense had injury issues but pitching was incredibly healthy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Just terrible takes in this thread. Sox won 93 games despite 4 major injuries that cost us a few games. They got outpitched, outhit, and outdefended by the class of the AL and somehow they’re garbage? Nah. 

They’re still the third best team in the AL, and IMO would have beaten the crap out of the wildcard but drew the absolute worst matchup in Houston and got flat out exploited.

Stop acting like emotional children, put your big boy pants on, and grow up. We lost. We will be back next year and better. 

Their record against winning teams in 2021 says otherwise. They weren’t even close to .500 against playoff teams. 
 

Just coming back and doing it again next year seems like a mistake and asking for more of the same. And sorry, but just because the Sox franchise has had a HORRENDOUS history doesn’t mean I should be happy with just making the playoffs and hoping for the best. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Moncada said:

Barring off-season additions or subtractions 

1. Move Moncada to 2B

2. Burger plays 3B

3. Vaughn and Engel platoon RF

4. Sheets and Vaughn platoon DH (means Vaughn plays everyday)

5. Leury only plays once maybe twice per 7 days.  

6. Kopech back to being a SP

7. Fix Eloy's stance bc it was horrible once he came back and the results showed down the stretch 

8. Cut Keuchel loose

9. Cut hitting coach loose

10. Learn what launch angle is and start hitting the damn ball in the air

 

Hotcadada takes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Rays got defeated too. Sometimes you just don't look good in a short series. That said, Sox clearly have major holes. Getting a defensive catcher, a starting RF and more SP are at the top of the list.

The Rays were in almost every game. We weren't that close in 2 and got blown out in another.

Edited by chw42
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×