Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
reiks12

Offseason Thread

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

If we only have 25 million to spend, we won't be able to really improve.  

Exactly.  $25M gets you Conforto and Tepera.  Conforto probably makes this team slightly better than it was a week ago, but the team would still need a 2B, another pen arm or two, and a vet SP to kick Kuechel in the ass / support for Kopech. Plus anything we wanted to do for the bench like brining back Leury and/or Billy, back up catcher, etc. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Anderson & Moncada are owed a combined $22.5M next year.  Add a few more pre-arb guys and we’re quickly we’re sitting around $145M with five spots to fill if we turn down Kimbrel’s option.  So it just comes down to how much total payroll Jerry will support.  At $170M, we’d be looking at $25M to work with to fill all our holes.

LaRussa is gonna return which means JR is gonna spend. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Exactly.  $25M gets you Conforto and Tepera.  Conforto probably makes this team slightly better than it was a week ago, but the team would still need a 2B, another pen arm or two, and a vet SP to kick Kuechel in the ass / support for Kopech. Plus anything we wanted to do for the bench like brining back Leury and/or Billy, back up catcher, etc. 

Billy was a great story this year but I don't know about bringing him back except as a minor league coach to help teach James Beard what to do with his 80 grade speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Yes, Thank you., I should have included them. I don’t think they have the will to make the moves to adequately fill these holes without going Top 10 / $180-$200m.

Their poor roster construction and players who cannot cover a position beyond DH/1B (Eloy, Sheets, Burger, Grandal, Abreu) limit what they can do without moving one of these players.

Agree.  I think they need to move one of the main corner guys in addition to Burger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Agree.  I think they need to move one of the main corner guys in addition to Burger. 

I hope they don't do it...but I have this fear that Eloy will be considered as a trade piece. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Agree.  I think they need to move one of the main corner guys in addition to Burger.

I'd be open to selling high on Sheets as I am not convinced he's suddenly a lefty masher in the bigs, but man, he sure looked the part.  But we need leftys so that would be a little ass backwards, but he is a DH only so just makes the log jam worse.  No way I am trading Eloy or Vaughn coming off 21 - would just be stupid.  Abreu is going nowhere.  Nor is Yaz.  

So yeah, not really sure there is much wiggle room there.  Only way all these guys fit is if Sox stay in house with RF and commit to a dog shit OF defense.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'd be open to selling high on Sheets as I am not convinced he's suddenly a lefty masher in the bigs, but man, he sure looked the part.  But we need leftys so that would be a little ass backwards, but he is a DH only so just makes the log jam worse.  No way I am trading Eloy or Vaughn coming off 21 - would just be stupid.  Abreu is going nowhere.  Nor is Yaz.  

So yeah, not really sure there is much wiggle room there.  Only way all these guys fit is if Sox stay in house with RF and commit to a dog shit OF defense.  

The love for Sheets in the org is real. Big love. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

  No way I am trading Eloy or Vaughn coming off 21 - would just be stupid.

 

Teams don't devalue players due to a couple bad months the same way fans do. The Sox would get plenty of value in trading either of those guys. Same goes for Kimbrel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, macsandz said:

The love for Sheets in the org is real. Big love. 

Big Country love.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CentralChamps21 said:

Same goes for Kimbrel.

Uh… no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, macsandz said:

The love for Sheets in the org is real. Big love. 

Do hey love him enough to do 1 of the following? 

1) Sell low on Eloy or Vaughn.

2) Sport an OF regularly including 2 of Eloy, Vaughn and Sheets.

If the answer to either of those questions is yes, we have the wrong people making decisions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Do hey love him enough to do 1 of the following? 

1) Sell low on Eloy or Vaughn.

2) Sport an OF regularly including 2 of Eloy, Vaughn and Sheets.

If the answer to either of those questions is yes, we have the wrong people making decisions. 

They probably love him enough to rotate him in at DH / 1B / RF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Teams don't devalue players due to a couple bad months the same way fans do. The Sox would get plenty of value in trading either of those guys. Same goes for Kimbrel.

I don't know that I agree.  Sure, Eloy and Vaughn have plenty of value as is.  I am not saying they're worthless.  But trading either of them coming off disappointing 2021s wouldn't make a lot of sense.  They're both monster 2022's away from being wildly valuable pieces.  And they're both extremely talented offensive players.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Do hey love him enough to do 1 of the following? 

1) Sell low on Eloy or Vaughn.

2) Sport an OF regularly including 2 of Eloy, Vaughn and Sheets.

If the answer to either of those questions is yes, we have the wrong people making decisions. 

I think they could have Abreu/Vaughn/Sheets/Eloy cover 1B/DH/LF and  be insulated from injury. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I think they could have Abreu/Vaughn/Sheets/Eloy cover 1B/DH/LF and  be insulated from injury. 

For sure - never sucks to have too many good offensive playere. But I hate it if it makes Vaughn a weakside platoon player, which is basically what this does with a healthy lineup.  Eloy and Abreu aren't sitting.  AV is going to be really good. 

Edited by ChiSox59

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Major moves for RF and 2B. Bring back Tepera. Trade Kimbrel for what you can - maybe a younger controllable reliever with promise. give carlos QO - If he rejects, Sign a solid veteran SP. May be too soon, but Grienke would be kind of fun but unlikely he hates Sox park and he said as much. Haven’t studied list enough to give you another name atm. 

In an alternative universe, I’d love to see a fresh coaching staff but know it’s not happening. 

I actually would start with a fresh coaching staff.  Too much talent was wasted with poor coaching.

Edited by hankchifan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Move Kopech and Crochet to starting rotation with innings limit and 6 man rotation to accomplish that (Lynn, Gio, Cease, and Lopez or Keuchel if they can't unload him)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ChiSox59 said:

For sure - never sucks to have too many good offensive playere. But I hate it if it makes Vaughn a weakside platoon player, which is basically what this does with a healthy lineup.  Eloy and Abreu aren't sitting.  AV is going to be really good. 

Eloy needs to hit the baseball with some form of consistency to get be guaranteed a spot in the lineup everyday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Pal said:

Move Kopech and Crochet to starting rotation with innings limit and 6 man rotation to accomplish that (Lynn, Gio, Cease, and Lopez or Keuchel if they can't unload him)

You will never see a 6 man rotation. Too much disruption to the routine. Now I would start using Kopech and Crochet as headliners. These guys need innings man. Kopech was coddled all year and instead of peaking he was arguably at his worst at the end. That plan didn't work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Keuchel signing

eaton signing

madrigal trade

Tony la russa signing

Cesar trade

 

all obvious terrible moves at the time that have been evident 

What’s your point?  Getting rid of Hahn?  Someone should be accountable for these bad moves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hankchifan said:

What’s your point?  Getting rid of Hahn?  Someone should be accountable for these bad moves.

Accountability? This organization doesn't understand that.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully Jerry sees what we all saw, comes to his sense and fires TLR.

It all starts and stop with him. And if he refuses to do so, its going to be another wasted year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, soulfly said:

That's great, but the worst teams in baseball don't make the post season.  Yes, in the post season anything can happen.  But it's also when teams get exposed.

You are right.  We were exposed in the playoffs.  Couldn’t throw any runners out, no running game, lots of double plays, bad positioning, bad pitching management, bad pitch selection, bad manager ,etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I wasn’t on here for most of the season for personal reasons. Wasn’t a great summer for me. Nothing to do with Grandal.

But it’s obvious the Sox need a different catcher starting games in the playoffs next season. There’s a reason LA would bench Grandal in the postseason. He’s not a good defensive catcher, even if his framing metrics somehow make him out to be well above average.

Grandal can’t throw runners out, and has problems with pitches on the dirt.  But his hitting is good with great OBP.  Suitable for DH and back up catcher.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

Will Crochet definitely be in the pen next season or do you think they will be looking to move him into starting? And are you assuming they will not pick up on the option for Hernandez?

I think it’s all but certainty that Crochet is in the bullpen next year.  As for Cesar, zero chance they pick up that option after his collapse IMO.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×