Offseason Thread

reiks12

4 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

yes, I feel like we can address pretty much all of our needs in FA.  I’d like to stay away from trading assets as much as possible, especially after the Madrigal debacle.

Yeah agree we can get that on the FA market. However, I think the only way we can get rid of Dallas and his big contract is to include burger to a rebuilding team. The only thing they would be willing to give up is a reliever and/or a defensive 2nd catcher, which we both need. Sure, if we want to keep dallas just sign gomes or perez and whichever reliever we need.

11 minutes ago, kleedawg said:

Yeah agree we can get that on the FA market. However, I think the only way we can get rid of Dallas and his big contract is to include burger to a rebuilding team. The only thing they would be willing to give up is a reliever and/or a defensive 2nd catcher, which we both need. Sure, if we want to keep dallas just sign gomes or perez and whichever reliever we need.

I think we can trade Keuchel for another bad contract.  I could see something like Dallas to the Giants for Tommy La Stella making sense for both sides.

42 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think we can trade Keuchel for another bad contract.  I could see something like Dallas to the Giants for Tommy La Stella making sense for both sides.

That would be some mastery from Hahn.  I don't see the Giants that desperate to dump La Stella.  If Sox can effectively plug 2B by dumping Keuchel and lowering 2020 payroll by $10M+ in the process, that would be something.  La Stella only due $5.25M in 22, jumps up to $11.5M in 23.  I think you'd need to add in a notable prospect to make that deal without giving the G's significant salary relief.  They Giants also don't really have an in-house replacement to La Stella.  Solano I believe is a FA.  

I like the framework tho. 

Edited by ChiSox59

22 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

That would be some mastery from Hahn.  I don't see the Giants that desperate to dump La Stella.  If Sox can effectively plug 2B by dumping Keuchel and lowering 2020 payroll by $10M+ in the process, that would be something.  La Stella only due $5.25M in 22, jumps up to $11.5M in 23.  I think you'd need to add in a notable prospect to make that deal without giving the G's significant salary relief.  They Giants also don't really have an in-house replacement to La Stella.  Solano I believe is a FA.  

I like the framework tho. 

My reasoning was twofold.  First, as you outlined above, La Stella’s salary jumps substantially in 2023 and they make seek an upgrade at 2B this offseason.  Second, 80% of the Giants rotation is hitting free agency I believe and adding Dallas may be an easy way to address one spot.  Maybe I’m totally off base here, but I could see something like this theoretically happening.

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

My reasoning was twofold.  First, as you outlined above, La Stella’s salary jumps substantially in 2023 and they make seek an upgrade at 2B this offseason.  Second, 80% of the Giants rotation is hitting free agency I believe and adding Dallas may be an easy way to address one spot.  Maybe I’m totally off base here, but I could see something like this theoretically happening.

Definitely intriguing.  I like La Stella more than a lot of the mid-tier 2B options on the FA market.  

5 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Better have a good backup IF if you want to bank on LaStella though.

I think its pretty safe to assume Leury will get resigned.  We'll also have Romy around for stints if needed. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bmags said:

It's a fun, classic caulfield quote because correcting it makes it wrong in a new direction.

No, I was reading the post above, which was a post about not having Eloy and Vaughn together in the same outfield and jumped ahead to the conclusion they were advocating a Vaughn trade without reading closely enough.

At any rate, Burger doesn't yet have enough value to get back two major league quality players in one move...unless someone's scouting him carefully enough in the minors to STILL project him as an above average MLB 3B and not merely a 1B/DH.  Error totals in the minors only paint 1/4th of the picture, at best...but it's usually more in A ball compared to AA/AAA due to inferior playing surfaces and field maintenance.

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

No, I was reading the post above, which was a post about not having Eloy and Vaughn together in the same outfield and jumped ahead to the conclusion they were advocating a Vaughn trade without reading closely enough.

At any rate, Burger doesn't yet have enough value to get back two major league quality players in one move...unless someone's scouting him carefully enough in the minors to STILL project him as an above average MLB 3B and not merely a 1B/DH. Error totals in the minors only paint 1/4th of the picture, at best...but it's usually more in A ball compared to AA/AAA due to inferior playing surfaces and field maintenance.

They should probably wait for conclusion on CBA to see if the NL finally gets a DH.

4 hours ago, NWINFan said:

You can't win by only out-slugging teams. From 2001-04, the Sox hit a ton of home runs and won nothing. The idea of Eloy in left and Vaughn in right is scary. And scary for the wrong reasons.

The only scary thing will be the offensive output of that squad, and it would be scary for the opposing team

6 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Did you not even look at the FA market?  It's literally loaded.

It's not good from a Sox perspective.

I don't think they need a SS. Freeman, Gausman, Bryant and Stroman probably stay put.

Are there any quality second baseman on the market? It doesn't look like it. (I imagine Semien moves back to SS if he leaves Toronto)

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

It's not good from a Sox perspective.

I don't think they need a SS. Freeman, Gausman, Bryant and Stroman probably stay put.

Are there any quality second baseman on the market? It doesn't look like it. (I imagine Semien moves back to SS if he leaves Toronto)

So the list of FAs is bad...if you ignore the best FAs (Scherzer), assume a lot of the good FAs aren't really available, that those that play positions the Sox need (Semien) won't actually play those positions...but that other FAs  (e.g. shortstops) can't possibly move positions?  OK.

I truly can't remember a better FA list for the Sox.  Whether we actually sign any of the targets is a different story.

Edited by 35thstreetswarm

2 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Cesar Hernandez had a 4.2 WAR season. Wow, he was astronomically bad for us.

2.2 fWAR which is still hard to believe.  Honestly tho, Cesar is probably (disgustingly) one of the better realistic 2B fits on the FA market for the Sox.  Once you get past the elite SS which we aren't signing and moving to 2B, you have guys like Eduardo Escobar, Chris Taylor, Donovan Solano, Brad Miller, and Cesar.  I may take Escobar over Cesar, but its honestly not that easy of a decision as Cesar is a better defender.  Taylor is a better player, but hasn't played a ton of 2B in his career - and while his splits are close to even, he doesn't help balance the lineup.  I think the Sox probably buy out Cesar, but I wouldn't be shocked if he's back if they're able to get Conforto in RF.  Which I guess I am OK with him in that scenario.

Then there are the trade options we've discussed like La Stella, Gregorius, Segura, etc. 

34 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

So the list of FAs is bad...if you ignore the best FAs (Scherzer), assume a lot of the good FAs aren't really available, that those that play positions the Sox need (Semien) won't actually play those positions...but that other FAs  (e.g. shortstops) can't possibly move positions?  OK.

I truly can't remember a better FA list for the Sox.  Whether we actually sign any of the targets is a different story.

I dont have Scherzer as one of the best FA, I'd be worried if my favorite team signed him to a deal as a premiere addition. He's 37 and there's a lot of mileage to that arm. 

Edited by Joshua Strong

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

2.2 fWAR which is still hard to believe.  Honestly tho, Cesar is probably (disgustingly) one of the better realistic 2B fits on the FA market for the Sox.  Once you get past the elite SS which we aren't signing and moving to 2B, you have guys like Eduardo Escobar, Chris Taylor, Donovan Solano, Brad Miller, and Cesar.  I may take Escobar over Cesar, but its honestly not that easy of a decision as Cesar is a better defender.  Taylor is a better player, but hasn't played a ton of 2B in his career - and while his splits are close to even, he doesn't help balance the lineup.  I think the Sox probably buy out Cesar, but I wouldn't be shocked if he's back if they're able to get Conforto in RF.  Which I guess I am OK with him in that scenario.

Then there are the trade options we've discussed like La Stella, Gregorius, Segura, etc. 

Cesar is going to be really good for someone else in 2022, and then adopted as some Soxtalk anti-fan's favorite player.

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

What would everyone’s reaction be if the Sox went after Nick Castellanos for RF? He’s not a good defender but can obviously hit the ball in the air. 

I would have to call a doctor about my 4 hour excitement 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• bmags locked this topic