Offseason Thread

reiks12

6 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

For sure.  I've long thought they'll be Soxtalk darlings this offseason and early 2022.  Until we beat them, then it will be "we beat them so not impressed.  It's just Detroit."

I'm the rare person who thinks KC will be more of a nightmare. Detroits pitching came together faster, but when Witt comes up, and if KC's pitching gets in order, I think they will be pretty damn good. Obviously people will panic about detroit spending for free agents but not that concerned there.

53 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’d be shocked if he’s brought back

I mean, I think he gets non-tendered next year if he doesn't improve. Otherwise, he's a lefty bat making the league minimum and they brought Narron specifically to work with him. Don't get me wrong, he sucks, but I don't see them cutting bait yet.

1 minute ago, Bunt Ritual said:

I mean, I think he gets non-tendered next year if he doesn't improve. Otherwise, he's a lefty bat making the league minimum and they brought Narron specifically to work with him. Don't get me wrong, he sucks, but I don't see them cutting bait yet.

But he can't catch. Sheets can be our lefty bat.  Collins will be dealt or in the minors as insurance.

54 minutes ago, fathom said:

Nope, it’s very odd.  I do hope everyone in organization stayed healthy, as Giolito announced the other day he got COVID right after season ended.

I’m sure Gio is fine now since he was at game 6 last night.

20 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'm the rare person who thinks KC will be more of a nightmare. Detroits pitching came together faster, but when Witt comes up, and if KC's pitching gets in order, I think they will be pretty damn good. Obviously people will panic about detroit spending for free agents but not that concerned there.

Cleveland's starting staff could be downright scary (if they don't trade Bieber). With all the injuries they found something in quantral, mckenzie, & morgan. Also Rosario and zimmerman look like they are becoming players.

25 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

No he never did. Very strange if you ask me. 

It wasn’t odd to me while the playoffs were still occurring but now that we still haven’t heard of one even being scheduled - it’s very strange.

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Why does everyone expect there to be a press conference? Last year they at least announced they were moving on from Renteria but it doesn’t feel like there has to be one this year. They’ve already announced the coaching staff is coming back.

All teams have one usually

2 hours ago, Bunt Ritual said:

I'd be shocked if Collins isn't the backup again next year.  Pitchers seemed to like throwing to him (for whatever reason) and it seems like he's Jerry Narron's pet project.  Assuming no changes in CBA regarding arbitration, this is also his last year before he becomes arb eligible. 

it's not that Giolito, Rodon, Kimbrel and others are enamored with Collins. It's just that they'll take anyone over the "Highest Paid White Sox".

Steve Stone on the one elite AL Central Catcher.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

it's not that Giolito, Rodon, Kimbrel and others are enamored with Collins. It's just that they'll take anyone over the "Highest Paid White Sox".

Steve Stone on the one elite AL Central Catcher.

Pone is such a douche.

7 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

The Twins still have a very good offense. If they can figure out their pitching, they could be a good team again. 

In any event, the AL Central could and should be very competitive next year, or whenever they play next. 

Why should it be competitive vs the dumpster fire it was this year?

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

You had me at second base defensive miscues… he’d fit right in!

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why should it be competitive vs the dumpster fire it was this year?

I think it could easily be competitive, and that history tells us over and over that projecting last year's results forward is a dangerous proposition.  Why would the Twins go from a division champ offensive juggernaut to one of the worst teams in baseball in one season?  Why would the Giants bust out and win the NL West?  Who the hell knows what happens next year.  The Twins could well make a few tweaks and return to form.  Detroit improved rapidly this season and will spend in the offseason.  The Royals are on the way up and could accelerate.  Cleveland's rotation could be scary, as somebody mentioned above.  I'd still take our divisional situation over most others but baseball is gonna baseball on us in unforeseen ways--that much I know.

• bmags locked this topic