Offseason Thread

reiks12

2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Interesting name.  Kole Calhoun option declined.  

Numbers last year are bad and he seems to have tore his hamstring. Seems to have had as many injury setbacks as Engel had, leg was injured the whole year. I've been interested in him for a couple years but have immediate worries from the stat line about him being Eaton.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Numbers last year are bad and he seems to have tore his hamstring. Seems to have had as many injury setbacks as Engel had, leg was injured the whole year. I've been interested in him for a couple years but have immediate worries from the stat line about him being Eaton.

I would only be fine with Calhoun (or a guy similar) if we sign a big fish 2B. Semien and Calhoun (for example) would make me very happy

Just now, kleedawg said:

no, Collins looks like a gg in comparison. 

All I know is Collins had a -.6 dWAR and Severino had a 1.0 dWAR (not close, but obviously there are other ratings).  I admittedly probably watched 0 of his games but always thought he was a defensive first catcher.. is this wrong?

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I would only be fine with Calhoun (or a guy similar) if we sign a big fish 2B. Semien and Calhoun (for example) would make me very happy

From his experience last year, I would definitely want to know who else is available to play RF. I'm ok with him in a rotation of guys, but Eloy, Calhoun, Engel, and Robert in the same OF seems to give us a chance of having the end result be people saying "How could we possibly have all 4 of our outfielders injured at once no one could have seen this coming" 

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

All I know is Collins had a -.6 dWAR and Severino had a 1.0 dWAR (not close, but obviously there are other ratings).  I admittedly probably watched 0 of his games but always thought he was a defensive first catcher.. is this wrong?

Yes, he actually hits better. I watched numerous games of him trying to catch. Its like he doesn't have a glove.

59 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Do we get to stay healthy as well? 

Yeah and it's still a dogfight. 

I just don't think the Sox are all that good, even with a healthy Robert and Eloy. 

Only Robert took a step this year, and that was in limited and everyone else regressed. 

These seem a lot like the 2001-2004 teams moving forward, stuck in the 80s for wins, with not a lot of wiggle room financially. 

The Sox won a lot of games getting contributions from guys like Mercedes, Goodwin, et al. and I wouldn't count on that happening again. 

They probably overachieved by 5-7 games. This is an 86 win roster. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I just don't think the Sox are all that good, even with a healthy Robert and Eloy. 

Only Robert took a step this year, and that was in limited and everyone else regressed. 

These seem a lot like the 2001-2004 teams moving forward, stuck in the 80s for wins, with not a lot of wiggle room financially. 

Bruh it wouldn't be a dogfight if our right fielder was Ray Charles and our 2nd baseman was Stevie Wonder.

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

How can we be stuck in the 80 wins range when we won 93?

6 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Can we do a permanent ban-bet?  I'd totally be down.  I'll take the over 90 for 2022.  Hell, I'll be nice and give you 90 being a push and no ban.

No, not doing that again. 

I was more excited for Sox baseball 2 years ago than I am today. 

Pretty apathetic actually. I'd have been posting a lot more since being allowed to return if I really cared. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

32 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

No, not doing that again. 

I was more excited for Sox baseball 2 years ago than I am today. 

Pretty apathetic actually. I'd have been posting a lot more since being allowed to return if I really cared. 

Yeah it’s boring seeing a prospect like Robert look like he might be a top 5 player in baseball

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The Sox won a lot of games getting contributions from guys like Mercedes, Goodwin, et al. and I wouldn't count on that happening again. 

They probably overachieved by 5-7 games. This is an 86 win roster. 

Their pythagorean W-L was 97-65, so they actually underachieve according to math.

• bmags locked this topic