Thanks For 2021 Sox

hi8is

5 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

We had some really great times this season. J think 2022 is the year of the Sox. Our youngsters have gained much needed experience and we will be healthy and hungry 

Yeah but hungry for what? You win the division and that's not nuff. Sox need to win 110 games and not let the foot off the pedal in postseason.

6 minutes ago, ron883 said:

IMO Ozzie is a great manager for when you have the pieces to win. He's not a great manager during a rebuild. Next season would be PERFECT for him. 

No argument, but Tony's not going anywhere. Jerry won't fire him and Tony is enjoying his retirement gig. First class air travel, 5 star hotels, great seats to MLB games.  Why would he leave that?  He'll never catch Connie Mack, but he's going to make damn sure nobody ever catches him. We're stuck with him until the contention window closes and he stops having fun. There's alot of work to be done but I fear it will all be moot unless we play 21st century ball (shifting, launch angle, managing a pitching staff). Maybe I'll feel better after the ache of watching my boyhood team spit the bit in 3 of 4 games eases. 

46 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

We had some really great times this season. J think 2022 is the year of the Sox. Our youngsters have gained much needed experience and we will be healthy and hungry 

It really needs to be an invaluable experience for them all to honestly look at where their liabilities are and to prepare to address them.

That should include everyone - from management on down the line.

A lot was exposed.

The last two seasons brought on some exciting baseball. The team was fun to watch and had some big moments. Young players began to develop, and we fans could afford to have some real optimism. The organization deserves credit for acquiring some young talent and for turning things around. The atmosphere at the ball park was great. There were many positives.

But the performance in the playoffs was terrible. In the losses, the Sox were outscored 25-6. It is one thing to lose in the post season. It is another to have your hat handed to you.

I don't think LaRussa should be made the scapegoat, but I still don't think he was the right hire for this team at this point. And please, no Ozzie Guillen. It is time to move on in many ways and replacing one returning Sox manager with another is not the answer, not that I expect a change to happen here.

There is hope for this team, but some fans are living in la-la land. There are big issues that need to be addressed. This team has some big problems.

I did enjoy many of the great moments the last two years. The Sox could be truly entertaining. Everything was far from totally bad. I just would like the Sox to truly become an elite team in the American League. That has yet to happen.

9 hours ago, hi8is said:

It didn’t end the way we wanted but considering how much adversity this group faced - we all enjoyed a lot of great moments this season.

GO SOX forever.

I fully agree with what you say as far as the regular season goes, but I thought this team was terrible in the series against the Astros, failing to do the basics right even though they were near full strength again. I don't know if the pressure got to them but the whole team seemed to unravel, especially in that 4th game

2 hours ago, hi8is said:

It really needs to be an invaluable experience for them all to honestly look at where their liabilities are and to prepare to address them.

That should include everyone - from management on down the line.

A lot was exposed.

Perhaps the biggest take from this season has been the experience gained by so many young players ahead of their time due to the injuries the squad faced. I just hope that players like Sheets, Vaughan and to an extent Burger are not traded away too easily in the hunt for experienced players as I think that if they are allowed to grow together then it would be a bigger benefit to the Sox going forward than acquiring expensive big names who will be less invested in the club.

I'm not going to allow others to piss on my happiness. It was a fun season especially with the next man up while constantly battling back from key injuries.

Yeah humans made some mistakes,  both on and off the field. If you want computer-like precision, run a simulator and cheer those results. Good people made decisions,  and like everything else in life, some panned out,  some failed. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Ozzie Guillen is not the answer, either. JR's cronyism got the Sox to where they are on 10/13, it's not going to bail them out.

Ozzie had one great season (99-63), and was .500 the rest of his career (648-647).

One big difference in the modern super team era is the level of professionalism. By that I don’t mean you can’t have fun or celebrate in the dugout, the Astros are great at that, and I certainly don’t mean the “n-words shouldn’t wear chains!” We heard here yesterday. Teams like the Astros, Dodgers, Giants, Red Sox, they are full of guys who come to the plate or the mound or their defensive position well prepared, even the young guys.

Think about Alvarez working Rodon for a walk in the third inning yesterday to bring Correa up, that was the last bit of fuel Rodon had and Alvarez worked an 8 pitch at bat to use it up. That same inning think about Maldonado leading off - he struck out, never had a ball in the at bat, but he stayed composed, fouled off three pitches, and made it a 6 pitch at bat. That takes a level of focus the White Sox do not have and neither of those managers were interested in. The Twins famously beat the White Sox over and over this way, with an organizational philosophy of hard work and preparation, even when the white Sox clearly were more talented.

For the White Sox, they’re stuck in that “TWTW is all that matters” mode. They believe that it’s not preparation or hard work that wins things, it’s trying harder to be the hero. So when Giolito or Rodon have given you every last drop of energy they had, it’s up to them to find more, and it’s their failure if they can’t - they’re supposed to be the hero! If you’re against a tough pitcher you need to swing harder so that you are the hero! They should have a higher TWTW! Things that take practice, dedication, commitment, focus  to learn - defensive positioning, framing, footwork, making the proper decision on who to throw a ball to - those are anathema to the White Sox. You always try to get the out at home even if it’s not a smart play and could set up a big inning, because if you do get that out, you’re the hero!

The mindset of a LaRussa team isn’t that different from a Guillen team in this regard. Or a Ventura team or a Renteria team for that matter. While it worked 15 years ago, we now have had the rise of these superteams, where they have this mentality that they are being paid millions of dollars so they have to work hard to earn it. So while Guillen would be a better strategist than LaRussa, (someone making decisions by throwing darts at a board would be), neither of them will solve the organizational problem.

• Love 1

There is plenty to criticize about this season and plenty of work to do.  But taking the 30,000-foot view: I thought 2021 would be the first year of the contention window.  I still feel that way and think we’re on track.  We won the division going away — despite horrific injuries that could easily have derailed us — and made the playoffs in back-to-back years for the first time *ever.* The park is packed and buzzing again.  The team is in the national conversation.  Our core is young and ascending.  If you can’t see that things are objectively going well on the south side right now you’ve lost the plot and need to log off for awhile.  Thankful for a fun season and looking forward to taking the next step in 2022.

SIGN SEMIEN

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Anyone know how long it takes to get ALCS ticket refunds? Have my card closing in four days and am wondering if I should just pay it off in full or wait for the refund.

Just go to the ballpark on your ticket date and feel the serenity of the moment....do some yoga....it would do so much more for your soul than any refund you might get.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Anyone know how long it takes to get ALCS ticket refunds? Have my card closing in four days and am wondering if I should just pay it off in full or wait for the refund.

From my position in banking I would say it depends on how long you want to wait.  Some companies batch their refunds in bi-weekly, weekly, and monthly.   They say you have been refunded, and in their view they have, but the actual money movement takes a little while to catch up.  Without seeing how they have issued in the past it's kind of hard to say.  Either way it's coming to you, in statement or check form

18 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Brother we root for one of the worst franchises in sports history. We take banners when we get them.

Truth Dodgers took a long time to finally win last year and they have one of the best franchises around right now. Lots of money great scouting and development.

The Braves won the division year after year after year and got 1 championship out of it.

11 hours ago, wegner said:

Just go to the ballpark on your ticket date and feel the serenity of the moment....do some yoga....it would do so much more for your soul than any refund you might get.

All of our souls could use a little work at this point for all the negative thoughts we've been having.

Yesterday hurt a lot but it felt damn good to be this invested in the team again this season (last season for obvious reasons never felt right).

That being said, time for the org to put up or shut up in terms of building a real contender. No more Adam Eaton-type, plug and play signings. Spend the money.