Ozzie says intent doesn’t matter with Abreu beanings

Chick Mercedes

Disagreement with LaRussa. Intent doesn’t matter  and they should have come out of the dugout and would still be fighting this morning if he was out there. I agree, it is time to protect this guy. As I paraphrase for Ozzie…..’ they can’t be family without protection for the big guy’. Whining to umpires doesn’t make it anymore. 

1 minute ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Yep. Unreal they don't hit him there. Would have course been the better baseball play anyways. 

The problem now is you sent the message. Hit our guy and we will bend over and take it

7 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Where's Rick Renteria these days?

Rick just finished his one year paid vacation courtesy of Hahn's October 2019 extension.

Rick is now free to pursue other opportunities without compensation due to the White Sox. I wish him the best, and believe he will join a Major League coaching staff, perhaps as bench coach, if he wants to work again.

Abreu gets HBP at about half the rate he did in Cuba. Of course the majority of pitchers are better skilled, but pitching him in is obviously the book on him. I would insist he at least wear an elbow guard.  Let's face it, numerous times a year he has been centimeters from being out for months. The HBP isn't going to go away, but I actually agree with Ozzie and Tony to a point. The Sox need to retaliate. If it makes one guy hesitant to go in on him, it pays off. Whether yesterday was intentional, I really don't know, but they did throw almost behind him. That is usually a giveaway. Someone mentioned the pitcher was looking into the Sox dugout just before the HBP. I don't think that proves anything, because the previous pitches were in, and I am sure the Sox dugout was chirping.

Edited by Dick Allen

Why would the Astros throw at Abreu tho?  Because of an obviously unintentional HBP of Altuve earlier in the game?  The pitch actually did look intentional, but I don't know they would do that. Retaliation for calling them cheaters? 

At least we know how to get TLR riled up.  That's the only life we saw from him the whole series.  What a joke. 

3 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Remember when Ozzie quit on the team when the season wasn’t even over and they had to have Don Cooper interim manage?  Yeah, he should never manage the Sox again.

You're right, Ozzie could never manage the White Sox again. But his opinions do have more weight than a guy like Our Chuck.