Sox to pick up $16M Kimbrel option, per Nightengale. Then try to trade him.

KrankinSox

14 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

What is his trade value now? What about a Segura swap with the Phillies?  Doesn't reduce payroll at all, but it does provide at a bigger need.

If the Sox eat any money, he may have some value. Just takes one team to think they can get the Kimbrel of the first half.

4 minutes ago, MackowiakYakYak said:

Do we think Nightengale gets disinformation from the Sox or that he completely fabricates his info? I thought everyone believed he directly gets fed information from the org but they use him to seed false narratives. If this is from the org would the point be?

He may have inside information, but he's also just saying something that's blatantly obvious that everybody knows anyway.

4 minutes ago, MackowiakYakYak said:

If this is from the org would the point be?

Possibly drum up interest from the league without having to go around asking specific teams if they are interested. If you get more than one team biting then maybe you don't have to eat salary to move him.

3 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

This is the best option. They gave up quite a bit for him so if they can’t find a taker, we have him for at least one more year and hopefully he turns it around. 

And if he continues to suck? 16m you could have spent on a RF or 2B. 

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

Yes but you can also say if they let him go and he has an All-Star year with another team, why didn’t we pickup his option? Relievers are a crapshoot.

I will bet you that he will not be an all star with us. Combination of his performance, catchers he can’t work with, and probably something about the coaching staff all adds up to the debacle we got.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Quin said:

The Rays were talking Glasnow for Kimbrel.

Obviously, you're not pulling that this winter after his performance with the Sox. But you try and see what you can get.

I'd have to believe the Cubs would absolutely jump on that, so not sure I buy it, but I posted in another thread about the Rays looking to move Austin Meadows. It's from a foodie, so TIFWIW, but if Kimbrel + some player in the low minors (we don't know much about but the Rays turn into a star) gets it done I'd be happy.

1 minute ago, almagest said:

I'd have to believe the Cubs would absolutely jump on that, so not sure I buy it, but I posted in another thread about the Rays looking to move Austin Meadows. It's from a foodie, so TIFWIW, but if Kimbrel + some player in the low minors (we don't know much about but the Rays turn into a star) gets it done I'd be happy.

The Rays taking on $15 million? You better hope there’s a salary floor in the next CBA. They would have considered him this year because they wouldn’t have picked up his option under any circumstances.

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I will bet you that he will not be an all star with us. Combination of his performance, catchers he can’t work with, and probably something about the coaching staff all adds up to the debacle we got.

I’m not advocating on keeping him. I think they should try trading him. However, they gave up a lot to get him so I don’t think declining his option and just letting him walk is the best option.

Edited by maloney.adam

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

I’m not advocating on keeping him. I think they should try trading him. However, they gave up a lot to get him so I don’t think declining his option and just letting him walk is the best option.

What they gave up to get him does not matter. This is called the “sunk cost” fallacy. What matters now is if he is worth his option. He is not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, almagest said:

Glasnow is missing most if not all of next season which is why the Cubs, (or any rebuilding team) would be turned off. You would only have him for one season where he is making his way back from TJ surgery.

Edit: Maybe the Sox should see if they can pull off the same move and eat some of the cost and have him come back at the end of 22, in rotation for 23.

edit 2: yes, I know this isn’t realistic

Edited by manbearpuig
  • Like 1