Sox to pick up $16M Kimbrel option, per Nightengale. Then try to trade him.

KrankinSox

Just now, bmags said:

You can either complain about the salary, or you can complain about the return. 

Or you don't pick up the option and start with a clean slate.  I don't have strong feelings either way (other than the fact that he sucked this year)!  But to think we would get some big time contributor to a successful season next summer it seems would be wishful thinking.  Nobody will be giving up as much as we gave up (regardless of how one feel's about Madrigal) to acquire him. 

1 minute ago, BrittBurnsFan said:

Or you don't pick up the option and start with a clean slate.  I don't have strong feelings either way (other than the fact that he sucked this year)!  But to think we would get some big time contributor to a successful season next summer it seems would be wishful thinking.  Nobody will be giving up as much as we gave up (regardless of how one feel's about Madrigal) to acquire him. 

Maybe no one would give up what we did in Madrigal but you would get something, if you don't pick up the option you get nothing and the Madrigal trade is even worse.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, BrittBurnsFan said:

You could, and I wouldn't blame them. But now you at least have the option of sending Kimbrel + $4 million for a better package, or Kimbrel for a weak package, or Kimbrel + $8 million for a much better package. There were a number of aspiring playoff teams in the bottom 10 of bullpen including phillies, reds, mariners, blue jays. 

• Like 2

If I'm another team, why wouldn't I want Kimbrel to remain on the Sox, where he hurts my opponent more than he would potentially help me?

I cut bait. I know it's not financially the best decision, but my logic is that he won't get $16 mil on the open market and what I would get in return is not worth wasting time with.

Use the $16 mil on a GOOD FA.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

Maybe no one would give up what we did in Madrigal but you would get something, if you don't pick up the option you get nothing and the Madrigal trade is even worse. 

True...but you also have to factor in what we might do with the $16 million if we don't pick the option up.  They have 10 days after the World Series to make that decision correct?  I would hope they have the parameters of a deal prior to picking the option up (if they do that).  Otherwise...there is a chance we are seeing Kimbral in a White Sox uniform on Opening Day making $16 million.  I don't think the FO should worry about saving face...just make the best moves going forward without regard to how that specific trade worked.  Will they do that?  Not sure...but they should! 

This deal becomes a SOLID piece for a salary floor team. Oh crap, we need to add payroll, want a good talent, and only need a year commitment...okay. 

Maybe a middling team thinks he helps them make a push and wont have to give up much for him. He absolutely would get 12+ for a year on the open market even with the post trade issues. He was in the wrong role. 

6 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

If you think there weren't several teams lining up trying to trade for Kimbrel at the deadline, then you're clueless. The move didn't work but at the time, Kimbrel was a hot commodity.

So you think people are gonna lineup now? Or give something up for him? Cut your losses. Use the 16 million for a bigger need

Just now, KrankinSox said:

That's not what I said. I'm not sure what you were trying to say with your original comment....

To be honest I was being somewhat of a smartass. I'm sorry dude I'm in a cruddy mood today 

• Like 1

I have a hard time seeing any excess value on that contract.  $16M is elite closer money and it's a mighty big gamble to count on Kimbrel still being an elite closer.  Another team would have to be pretty desperate to give up much of anything, especially in the offseason when you have your pick of FA relievers.  Though I admittedly haven't studied who else is out there.    

13 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

We spent 5 million and Madrigal and Heuer for a lousy reliever. Spending 21 million and Madrigal and Heuer for the same lousy reliever is in my opinion

worse.

• Thanks 2

Why would they want to eat $4-6 on Kimbrel just to get another suspect prospect back when they could actually for the third time sign a free agent (following Dunn and Grandal) for more than $14 million per year that they really want?

Guess Melky Cabrera was the other move that comes somewhere close to that salary range, not exactly a ringing endorsement of bigger Sox FA moves.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, zisk said:

We spent 5 million and Madrigal and Heuer for a lousy reliever. Spending 21 million and Madrigal and Heuer for the same lousy reliever is in my opinion

worse.

That would only be true if no-one was willing to trade for him.

5 minutes ago, kleedawg said:

Another possibility, would be for the sox to pick up his option. Make him the closer (gag) gamble he picks up a bunch of easy saves when the weather sucks, then trade him to a team that needs one. This of course be a plan B to trading him in a few weeks.

Unless there is an injury, I have just as good of a chance at closing next year as Kimbrel does. 

• Haha 1

When the trade first happened I wondered if the Sox could get more than Madrigal/Heuer for Kimbrel this offseason when virtually every team in baseball could be interested while only a handful were "in" at the deadline.

His value has taken a hit but I believe he still has value at or above 1/16.  Shouldn't be a problem to move him.