Sox to pick up $16M Kimbrel option, per Nightengale. Then try to trade him.

KrankinSox

1 hour ago, manbearpuig said:

Glasnow is missing most if not all of next season which is why the Cubs, (or any rebuilding team) would be turned off. You would only have him for one season where he is making his way back from TJ surgery.

Edit: Maybe the Sox should see if they can pull off the same move and eat some of the cost and have him come back at the end of 22, in rotation for 23.

edit 2: yes, I know this isn’t realistic

It's not but I wouldn't mind turning Kimbrel into Glasnow, even if it's only for 2023. Probably only if other trades fall through.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

The Rays taking on $15 million? You better hope there’s a salary floor in the next CBA. They would have considered him this year because they wouldn’t have picked up his option under any circumstances.

I think they would, and then they'd trade him same as we're looking to do. If you eat some of his salary (I know the Sox don't do this) I think you can get Meadows or maybe you roll the dice on Glasnow coming back for the end of 2022 and 2023.

Just now, maloney.adam said:

Yes but the article also says the market is thin for relievers. 

There will be a larger group of suitors than at the trade deadline, true.  But boy this could really bite them in the ass if it affects them from making free agent moves to improve the team.

I don't care how thin the market is, no one is going to give you something useful and pay Kimbrel $16 million after the way he finished the season. If there was a little regression from where he was with the Cubs, fine. But this was too much. 

Just admit your mistake, pay him the $1 million and move on. Spend the $15 million on something else. At the end, he wasn't even striking people out.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't care how thin the market is, no one is going to give you something useful and pay Kimbrel $16 million after the way he finished the season. If there was a little regression from where he was with the Cubs, fine. But this was too much. 

Just admit your mistake, pay him the $1 million and move on. Spend the $15 million on something else.  At the end, he wasn't even striking people out.

14.1 K/9 with the Sox.

Edited by turnin' two

5 minutes ago, FoxForce2 said:

Doesn't Kimbrel have some form of no-trade or selective-trade clause in the contract to be optioned?

He had limited no-trade protection for 2020, but not for now.

In a normal year, there would be a substantial market for Kimbrel and the Sox could get a player very similar to Madrigal back for him.

In a year with an expiring CBA, it's much harder to guess how much demand there will be.

16 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Just admit your mistake, pay him the $1 million and move on. Spend the $15 million on something else. At the end, he wasn't even striking people out.

This seems to make the most sense at this point.  If they pick up the option at $16 million it just means Hahn can't admit it didn't work out and his stubbornness could end up doing more damage.  Cut your losses and figure out how to spend the the $15 million in a much better way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

For teams in the latter bucket, it’s likely they just don’t view Kimbrel as a highly palatable trade chip — at least not to the extent that they’d give up a meaningful prospect. It’s certainly plausible that Kimbrel could be swapped out for another expensive veteran — speculatively speaking, the Rays had interest in Kimbrel at the deadline and figure to again be open to moving Kevin Kiermaier and his comparable salary — but the Sox aren’t likely to find a team willing to part with a top prospect or controllable young big leaguer. Whatever route Hahn and his staff take, it seems there’s a chance Kimbrel’s tenure with the team will be short-lived.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

26 minutes ago, wegner said:

The author of that, Steve Adams, doesn't seem to think the Sox will get much for Kimbrel.  And before you ask, I have no idea who he is either.

Shocking. I wonder if the Sox purposely did this to drum up interest to see what they can get for him and than when it comes time to decide on the option, they will either trade him or decline the option. This was their plan all along. 

Edited by maloney.adam

Someone else mentioned this earlier, but Segura is an interesting contract for contract swap.  Make about the same.  Wish Segura batted left handed but its a a solid idea. Something like that may be as good as we can do unless we're just essentially dumping the contract for a warm body, in which case why not just decline the option.  

• Like 1