Sox to pick up $16M Kimbrel option, per Nightengale. Then try to trade him.

KrankinSox

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Someone else mentioned this earlier, but Segura is an interesting contract for contract swap.  Make about the same.  Wish Segura batted left handed but its a a solid idea. Something like that may be as good as we can do unless we're just essentially dumping the contract for a warm body, in which case why not just decline the option.  

I guess that comes down to whether they are willing to take the hit from admitting it was a bad trade.  Even if you think it was a good idea at the time, it did end up being a bad trade that actually hurt the team.....that is just a fact.

• Like 1

Just now, wegner said:

I guess that comes down to whether they are willing to take the hit from admitting it was a bad trade.  Even if you think it was a good idea at the time, it did end up being a bad trade that actually hurt the team.....that is just a fact.

No argument from me.  I said it was a terrible trade the day it happened and that Heuer had a decent chance to be just as good as Kimbrel rest of way.  Was slightly tongue in cheek, but it went even worse than anyone could imagine.  

Terrible trade.  The brightside is - as much as I love Madrigal and wish we still had him - he isn't really the answer to what ails this team.  He helps some weaknesses, but is at best an average defender, hits from the wrong side of plate, etc.  It just sucks we both 1) sold low and 2) got nothing in return.  I feel like we could have turned Madrigal into something that was much more beneficial to the window than pushing all the chips in on the bullpen.  

Oh well.  The Sox can recover from this trade.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Someone else mentioned this earlier, but Segura is an interesting contract for contract swap.  Make about the same.  Wish Segura batted left handed but its a a solid idea. Something like that may be as good as we can do unless we're just essentially dumping the contract for a warm body, in which case why not just decline the option.  

I am that genius. 

This is the wrong move. Just take the hit now and have the cash flexibility vs getting stuck with Kimbrel. Don’t let the bad move get even worse by sticking locking in that option. Unless Sox think Kimbrel plus Crochet or something along those lines gets you something you really want. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

That fake MLB Executive Burner account mentioned the Orioles as a possibility for Kimbrel. Anthony Santander as the piece coming back to the Sox. Lol 

Even in the less than 1% chance there is any truth to this,I think the Sox could get something better than Santander with the $15 million they would save just letting Kimbrel be a free agent.

The one thing we as fans have going for us, is they won't be able to sell they are really close, even if they are closer than this series made it appear. They got whipped.

Edited by Dick Allen

42 minutes ago, wegner said:

Agree, and Hahn needs to put his ego aside and not compound the mistake.  I obviously have no inside information but on the surface the picking up the $16 million option feels like they are just hoping they will be able to find a trade partner to salvage something from the trade.  Just admit you basically gave away a couple of players for nothing and move on.  As already mentioned, they can recover from this trade if they just let it go. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

This is the wrong move. Just take the hit now and have the cash flexibility vs getting stuck with Kimbrel. Don’t let the bad move get even worse by sticking locking in that option. Unless Sox think Kimbrel plus Crochet or something along those lines gets you something you really want. 

The value of Kimbrel, alone or packaged, isn’t worth the risk of being stuck with his ‘22 salary. The added payroll flexibility will of more use to the team, compared to whoever we bring over in some bad contract swap. 

Edited by Flash Tizzle
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't care how thin the market is, no one is going to give you something useful and pay Kimbrel $16 million after the way he finished the season. If there was a little regression from where he was with the Cubs, fine. But this was too much. 

Just admit your mistake, pay him the $1 million and move on. Spend the $15 million on something else. At the end, he wasn't even striking people out.

Thank you!!!!!

• Like 1

There has to be a deal that was in place at the deadline that the Sox had a team obtaining Kimbrel this offseason.  A three way trade with the Sox hanging on to Kimbrel for this season and him being moved in the offseason to make it easier on his family.

I could be 100% wrong but that makes the most sense in all of this for this trade to make some sense.

6 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

There has to be a deal that was in place at the deadline that the Sox had a team obtaining Kimbrel this offseason.  A three way trade with the Sox hanging on to Kimbrel for this season and him being moved in the offseason to make it easier on his family.

I could be 100% wrong but that makes the most sense in all of this for this trade to make some sense.

This is not how baseball works.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hi8is said:

This is not how baseball works.

So you think the White Sox are picking up the $16M option with the hope of trading him for something of value or keeping him next year.  Both are very possible but if the goal is to trade him I hope the foundation of a trade is in place as if not then he is in the Sox pen next year.

Just now, Harry Chappas said:

So you think the White Sox are picking up the $16M option with the hope of trading him for something of value or keeping him next year.  Both are very possible but if the goal is to trade him I hope the foundation of a trade is in place as if not then he is in the Sox pen next year.

They’re hoping to trade him obviously but there’s most certainly no foundation in place.

IMO they should just buy out and cut bait.

26 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

How does that make any sense?  lol.  There are no such thing as a "hidden" three team trade.

13 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

How does that make any sense?  lol.  There are no such thing as a "hidden" three team trade.

Because GM's talk especially at the trade deadline.  It seems the cubs were looking to take care of the traded players and get them to places they wanted to be.  Kimbrel wanted to stay in Chicago and that was taken care of by moving him to the Sox.  The Sox paid a steep price as well for this. 

The Sox will look really foolish if they picked up the option and had nowhere to move him to unless they are comfortable keeping him which seems foolish but maybe they really like him.

Hahn better have a plan for moving him if that is the intent as $16M is a large nut for an 8th inning guy.

6 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The Rays taking on $15 million? You better hope there’s a salary floor in the next CBA. They would have considered him this year because they wouldn’t have picked up his option under any circumstances.

I’m hoping to hope the Sox will prioritize talent over losing the money in any case, considering losing Madrigal for zero payoff. They gotta suck this up

Just now, Chick Mercedes said:

I’m hoping to hope the Sox will prioritize talent over losing the money in any case, considering losing Madrigal for zero payoff. They gotta suck this up

This is a “sunk cost”. You don’t compound it by continuing to sink money into it.

49 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This is a “sunk cost”. You don’t compound it by continuing to sink money into it.

there’s no cap. They made a mistake. They can pay for it if they wanted to. And they should. Replace Madrigal with another asset. Considering the extra sized amount of stupidity that went into this from all angles,  they should not walk away from fixing the self inflicted damage of they don’t have to, as much as possible.

Edited by Chick Mercedes

41 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I hope Hahn watches this video before getting involved in any three-way trade.

Crap...are you telling me that guy I lost $20 to on the CTA bus in high school was cheating?  Can't trust anybody.