Sox to pick up $16M Kimbrel option, per Nightengale. Then try to trade him.

KrankinSox

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

That would be amazing, but no way the Rays do that without throwing some other things there way plus eating some money.

It wouldn’t be straight up from Sox end by any means.

Also I am not a big Meadows fan.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

It wouldn’t be straight up from Sox end by any means.

Also I am not a big Meadows fan.

Defensively he wouldn’t add much and it seems like he’s a platoon guy.  But the dude hits RHP pretty damn well.  Just struggling to find RF trade targets that make any sense.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Defensively he wouldn’t add much and it seems like he’s a platoon guy.  But the dude hits RHP pretty damn well.  Just struggling to find RF trade targets that make any sense.

Yes, he is left handed. And it’s possible he has had horrible BABIP luck but … if the Rays trade him I’d bet against it. 

8 hours ago, Chimpton said:

Maybe no one would give up what we did in Madrigal but you would get something, if you don't pick up the option you get nothing and the Madrigal trade is even worse.

Imagine paying big money, a first rounder Madrigal and a good reliever Heuer for a rental that pitched one inning in the playoffs, and sucked most of his time here, and precluded us from getting the RF that we needed.  This is a fireable offense.  But nobody will be held accountable, like the Trubisky deal with the Bears.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, bmags said:

It’s gonna be Kimbrel for Meadows isn’t it 

Lets get another left fielder/DH. Struggles against LHP so is likely a platoon guy to boot. I wish we could stop with this type of player. Sure, if we are replacing Eloy, fine. But please someone get this team a legit right fielder ffs.

Edited by Chick Mercedes

3 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Lets get another left fielder/DH. Struggles against LHP so is likely a platoon guy to boot. I wish we could stop with this type of player. Sure, if we are replacing Eloy, fine. But please someone get this team a legit right fielder ffs.

Yeah these are my big concerns. 

I can't wait until June, when Kimbrel is in the middle of 10 straight scoreless outings, the guy we trade him for is in the middle of a 3-for-20 slump at the plate, and the same people who are now saying the Sox shouldn't even pick up his option complain that the Sox shouldn't have been cheapskates and paid Kimbrel $16 million instead of trading him.

• Like 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Meadows is far from perfect, but I would be pretty ecstatic with that trade. I don't see how the Rays would be on board, but hopefully! 

well you'd be saying good bye to a few more sox for it to work. I mean Meadows is certainly better than Nomar Mazara.

32 minutes ago, bmags said:

well you'd be saying good bye to a few more sox for it to work. I mean Meadows is certainly better than Nomar Mazara.

Meadows received MVP votes in 2019.  I'd really like that trade. Hell, I'd probably have traded Madrigal for Meadows lol

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

Meadows played right field for 50 games in 2019 and was below average out there (limited sample size for sure, but not much better than Sheets). I would assume they'd platoon him with someone who hits lefties and he'd play LF/RF.

Or, if you're going to do that, you could just put Sheets out there. Doesn't seem all that different, unless you're positive Meadows can return to his 2019 numbers.

13 minutes ago, almagest said:

Meadows played right field for 50 games in 2019 and was below average out there (limited sample size for sure, but not much better than Sheets). I would assume they'd platoon him with someone who hits lefties and he'd play LF/RF.

Or, if you're going to do that, you could just put Sheets out there. Doesn't seem all that different, unless you're positive Meadows can return to his 2019 numbers.

Meadows is a platoon guy at this point, but I have hope that Sheets can still progress to where he hits lefties well enough to be an everyday guy. It's too early to make him strictly a platoon guy.

32 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Meadows is a platoon guy at this point, but I have hope that Sheets can still progress to where he hits lefties well enough to be an everyday guy. It's too early to make him strictly a platoon guy.

Sure - but its also FARRRRR to early to make Vaughn a weak-side platoon player.  Something has to give there. 

6 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I don't think Vaughn, Eloy and Jose are all on this team next year. That's what will give.

We’d better get a damned good hot shot controllable starting pitcher with someone taking on half of Dallas for Vaughn.

24 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I don't think Vaughn, Eloy and Jose are all on this team next year. That's what will give.

Yeah, I guess I just don't agree.  Maybe we can turn Vaughn into a controllable left handed hitting stud at 2B or RF.  Otherwise I don't see the point.  Jose is going nowhere.  Don't see Hahn selling low on Eloy. 

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah, I guess I just don't agree.  Maybe we can turn Vaughn into a controllable left handed hitting stud at 2B or RF.  Otherwise I don't see the point.  Jose is going nowhere.  Don't see Hahn selling low on Eloy. 

I agree Jose is going nowhere, but I just don't see this team being successful with three similar RH ground ball machines with no real defensive value. If one of the other two doesn't get what we need by himself, maybe he's packaged with Kimbrel, or someone else. Something needs to change.