Sox to pick up $16M Kimbrel option, per Nightengale. Then try to trade him.

KrankinSox

This apparently will be an unpopular opinion, but if I were in Hahn's shoes, I would pick up the option and try to trade Kimbrel.  I think there will be a market for him.  Would he get 16M on the open market this year?  No probably not, but he wouldn't sign for 1 year either, and that has value.  Teams always need relievers, and closers.  Maybe someone will spot the difference between how he was for the Sox and Cubs and think they'll fix him.  Maybe people will chalk it up to him being a reliever.  I know there are a lot of "ifs" in there, but I would roll the dice on someone taking a chance on him.  If the Sox pick up any of the money, they'll be able to get something pretty good in return.  I would guess there would be a lot of teams in on him at like a 12M price tag.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 1:14 PM, hi8is said:

They’re hoping to trade him obviously but there’s most certainly no foundation in place.

IMO they should just buy out and cut bait.

They probably should . But some team may think the Sox just used him in the wrong role and may gamble a decent prospect for KImbrel and eating half the salary.

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

They probably should . But some team may think the Sox just used him in the wrong role and may gamble a decent prospect for KImbrel and eating half the salary.

I agree with you that they will need to pay 1/2 his salary to get a decent return.

I remember reading someone here who believes the Sox keep him until the trade deadline next season if teams are not willing to take on his entire salary.  That sounds risky to me....he might suck again.

Edited by wegner
Clarification

6 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Meanwhile a real franchise used its assets for trea turner and scherzer. That is what you spend your chips on…not a freaking closer when you already have a stud closer. 

Closers are much cheaper financially.

Jerry loves much cheaper financially. It's his MO during 8 decades with the Sox/Bulls.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, turnin' two said:

This apparently will be an unpopular opinion, but if I were in Hahn's shoes, I would pick up the option and try to trade Kimbrel.  I think there will be a market for him.  Would he get 16M on the open market this year?  No probably not, but he wouldn't sign for 1 year either, and that has value.  Teams always need relievers, and closers.  Maybe someone will spot the difference between how he was for the Sox and Cubs and think they'll fix him.  Maybe people will chalk it up to him being a reliever.  I know there are a lot of "ifs" in there, but I would roll the dice on someone taking a chance on him.  If the Sox pick up any of the money, they'll be able to get something pretty good in return.  I would guess there would be a lot of teams in on him at like a 12M price tag.

If it's my money I don't gamble 16 million on the chance I can turn him into someone else's castoff.  Admit we made a mistake and say goodbye.

9 hours ago, wegner said:

I agree with you that they will need to pay 1/2 his salary to get a decent return.

I remember reading someone here who believes the Sox keep him until the trade deadline next season if teams are not willing to take on his entire salary.  That sounds risky to me....he might suck again.

That’s me. I will say it again - if they pick up his option, he will be here next June.

7 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Meanwhile a real franchise used its assets for trea turner and scherzer. That is what you spend your chips on…not a freaking closer when you already have a stud closer. 

The Dodgers traded a top of the rotation starting pitcher and an everyday catcher.  The Sox traded an injured slapdick 2B and a generic middle reliever. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That’s me. I will say it again - if they pick up his option, he will be here next June.

Not only do you run the risk that he sucks again, but once again you shrink the market.  And that lessens the $$ they will spend in free agency.  Boy, I hope you're wrong.  Not suggesting you are wrong, just hoping. 

1 minute ago, wegner said:

Not only do you run the risk that he sucks again, but once again you shrink the market.  And that lessens the $$ they will spend in free agency.  Boy, I hope you're wrong.  Not suggesting you are wrong, just hoping. 

Someone here suggested that this whole thing was a strategy to drum up calls and interest in him before they actually had to decide on his option, and that would be a decent setup to me. I see this as a very difficult trade to find a partner for - you need to find a team wanting to shed their own overpaid player, where both guys are better fits with their new team, but without the White Sox including much money to go with. Make an effort to drive interest on that before you have to make a final decision?

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Someone here suggested that this whole thing was a strategy to drum up calls and interest in him before they actually had to decide on his option, and that would be a decent setup to me. I see this as a very difficult trade to find a partner for - you need to find a team wanting to shed their own overpaid player, where both guys are better fits with their new team, but without the White Sox including much money to go with. Make an effort to drive interest on that before you have to make a final decision?

You mean Bob might be wrong or used as a tool by the organization??  Color me shocked...shocked I tell you.

46 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

These guys don’t seem cheap? They seem quite expensive.

Talking total cost, you can put bandaids on and getting relievers who contribute 1/3 of the innings for a $30-$50M commitment for the top 1-2 in the league.

A top hitter or starter will cost you nine figure commitment. 

Jerry's carrots cost a lot less than steak and lobster.

1 hour ago, chetkincaid said:

Hendriks says he doesn’t care what inning he pitches. Why not make him the set up man while Kimbel closes? If Kimbrel finds his groove as closer I bet you could get a haul for him at the trade deadline next year. Then you could slide Hendriks back into the closer role. 

I always liked Hendricks as a two inning guy similar to what I think they hoped Kopech would be. 

Imagine him coming in instead of Crochet in game 2. 

I don't know why so many want to mess with Hendriks. He's the best closer in the league. Leave him there. Let him pitch mulitple innings if the schedula allows. Why mess with it? Let Kimbrel go. I am not a Kimbrel hater, but it wasn't working the 8th inning that screwed him up. I was at a game vs. Boston where he got the 9th and blew the save. Leury bailed him out later. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chetkincaid said:

Hendriks says he doesn’t care what inning he pitches. Why not make him the set up man while Kimbel closes? If Kimbrel finds his groove as closer I bet you could get a haul for him at the trade deadline next year. Then you could slide Hendriks back into the closer role. 

If we kept Kimbrel, I am fine with them sharing the duties and if Kimbrel looks great again, and Hendriks looks great as the 8th, then I am fine with it. Skeptical though