Sox to pick up $16M Kimbrel option, per Nightengale. Then try to trade him.

KrankinSox

26 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

With the innings limits some of our guys are facing a short season could be just what the doctor ordered!

Short exciting season....followed by an injury plagued full season....Go White Sox 2024.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't know why so many want to mess with Hendriks. He's the best closer in the league. Leave him there. Let him pitch mulitple innings if the schedula allows. Why mess with it? Let Kimbrel go. I am not a Kimbrel hater, but it wasn't working the 8th inning that screwed him up. I was at a game vs. Boston where he got the 9th and blew the save. Leury bailed him out later. 

Luckily it doesn't sound like the Sox want to screw with him, just fans. 

3 hours ago, chetkincaid said:

Hendriks says he doesn’t care what inning he pitches. Why not make him the set up man while Kimbel closes? If Kimbrel finds his groove as closer I bet you could get a haul for him at the trade deadline next year. Then you could slide Hendriks back into the closer role. 

I was kind of surprised they didn't "share" closing assignments to see if that could get Kimbrel acclimated and comfortable.  It was obvious that what they did wasn't working,  but of course they didn't try anything different over those 2+ months.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I was kind of surprised they didn't "share" closing assignments to see if that could get Kimbrel acclimated and comfortable.  It was obvious that what they did wasn't working,  but of course they didn't try anything different over those 2+ months.

I get why they could have tried it, but its hard to replace a guy dominating at closer with a guy that is flat out sucking.

3 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

With the innings limits some of our guys are facing a short season could be just what the doctor ordered!

And a shortened season championship would be so bad. The Sox's young players need to play during this window of opportunity. It's not all about a short season WS title; it's about enjoying the emergence of Eloy, Robert, Moncada, Tim, Collins, Sheets, Vaughn, Burger.

On 10/13/2021 at 7:33 PM, hankchifan said:

Plus losing Madrigal and Heuer in the process. Terrible trade for the Sox.  JR should deduct $16M from Hahn’s lifetime compensation if this doesn’t work out.

This is so repetitious. We should be watching our guys sleep through the playoffs right now. 

4 hours ago, greg775 said:

And a shortened season championship would be so bad. The Sox's young players need to play during this window of opportunity. It's not all about a short season WS title; it's about enjoying the emergence of Eloy, Robert, Moncada, Tim, Collins, Sheets, Vaughn, Burger.

Collins, really?

I haven't been following the thread, but I just felt the need to point out how relentlessly I was shit on when this trade was made, for the audacity to suggest that, given the volatility of relievers, Codi Heuer could end up being more valuable than Craig Kimbrel over the remaining few months of the season, and because of that I thought it was a very short-sighted move. I just need to point it out. Please remember it the next time you want to call me a hater. Thank you for your time.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

By Madrigal? 

Sure, by extension...because the lack of payroll flexibility that's on the horizon will be directly correlated to our diminishing numbers of cost controlled Year 1-3 players, and the exploding option year numbers in most extensions. We essentially have two more years (with four pending FAs), then a really really tough decision on Tim Anderson in 2024.

That's why the Astros losing Springer, Correa and Verlander as well...but going on Year 6 in 2022 is pretty astounding. Little reason to think anyone but the M's can start to threaten them. The Royals and Cubs didn't come close to threading that same needle, with their runs primarily front-loaded.

Edited by caulfield12

32 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Sure, by extension...because the lack of payroll flexibility that's on the horizon will be directly correlated to our diminishing numbers of cost controlled Year 1-3 players, and the exploding option year numbers in most extensions. We essentially have two more years (with four pending FAs), then a really really tough decision on Tim Anderson in 2024.

That's why the Astros losing Springer, Correa and Verlander as well...but going on Year 6 in 2022 is pretty astounding. Little reason to think anyone but the M's can start to threaten them. The Royals and Cubs didn't come close to threading that same needle, with their runs primarily front-loaded.

Don’t you think it’s fair to only credit the Gastros for one and a half years of success?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Sure, then we have to go back and take away the Red Sox titles with Ortiz and Manny?

Seems like the Giants from 2010-14 were the only untarnished mini-dynasty.

The difference with the level of awful between steroids and the Blasthoes is simple:

League Wide Awful vs. Only Team in Baseball Awful

One is bad and another is super bad.

32 minutes ago, hi8is said:

If that's the crap we might get back in a deal (while still retaining some salary) just shoot me now. I know it's just one guy's opinion and all it takes is one GM/Manager combination to think they can turn him around to strike a good deal. However if this is the garbage we'd get back now, keep him. Hope with an off-season and Spring Training to get his head screwed on right, he could be productive. Otherwise just don't pick up the option and deal with basically giving away Madrigal and Heuer for the next 7-10 years. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

If that's the crap we might get back in a deal (while still retaining some salary) just shoot me now. I know it's just one guy's opinion and all it takes is one GM/Manager combination to think they can turn him around to strike a good deal. However if this is the garbage we'd get back now, keep him. Hope with an off-season and Spring Training to get his head screwed on right, he could be productive. Otherwise just don't pick up the option and deal with basically giving away Madrigal and Heuer for the next 7-10 years. 

But Madrigal has no power. But Madrigal isn’t really going to be good on the defensive end. But Madrigal has no baseball instincts. But Madrigal won’t ever be good on the base paths. But Madrigal will always be injured and won’t recover.

So sad.

It’s a really hard position to be in. You keep him in hope of him rebuilding value and you prevent your team from being active for other trade targets or in FA. You trade him for a bag of balls and you’re nationally laughed at. You cut bait and just move on… it’s the best option but nope.

Unless we’re shocked and they actually get someone to give something or substance for him… uh… yea… don’t see it.

So sad.

I read somewhere in the last day or so an article out of New York of the Yankees perhaps being interested in trading Joey Gallo this offseason.  Similar to the Sox’ experience with Kimbrel, Gallo didn’t quite work out for them after the midseason trade as hoped.  They also had bullpen struggles when Chapman sort of imploded this year.  

So trying to be creative and thinking of ways to solve the Kimbrel conundrum, I’m wonder if the Yankees would be interested in a one-for-one swap of Kimbrel for Gallo.  Both have one year left before free agency (presuming the Sox pick up the option), and while Kimbrel does make more money than Gallo, the gap isn’t anything the Yankees can’t absorb.  

They get a closer who is seemingly a better bet to return to elite closer status than Chapman (his troubles began coincidentally after the sticky stuff rules came into place), we get a left-handed power hitting right fielder who plays good defense for at least a year.  Seems he’d be an ideal stop gap measure until Cespedes arrives (who seemingly showed a lot of progress this year but probably needs another year of seasoning in the minors).  It’s not the haul the Cubs got, but Kimbrel is now a one year rental.  I don’t know.  Just an idea I had.  

Edited by Thad Bosley
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Thad Bosley said:

I read somewhere in the last day or so an article out of New York of the Yankees perhaps being interested in trading Joey Gallo this offseason.  Similar to the Sox’ experience with Kimbrel, Gallo didn’t quite work out for them after the midseason trade as hoped.  They also had bullpen struggles when Chapman sort of imploded this year.  

So trying to be creative and thinking of ways to solve the Kimbrel conundrum, I’m wonder if the Yankees would be interested in a one-for-one swap of Kimbrel for Gallo.  Both have one year left before free agency (presuming the Sox pick up the option), and while Kimbrel does make more money than Gallo, the gap isn’t anything the Yankees can’t absorb.  

They get a closer who is seemingly a better bet to return to elite closer status than Chapman (his troubles began coincidentally after the sticky stuff rules came into place), we get a left-handed power hitting right fielder who plays good defense for at least a year.  Seems he’d be an ideal stop gap measure until Cespedes arrives (who seemingly showed a lot of progress this year but probably needs another year of seasoning in the minors).  It’s not the haul the Cubs got, but Kimbrel is now a one year rental.  I don’t know.  Just an idea I had.  

That would be great!  I wouldn't have traded Nick for Kimbrel, but I'd drive him to the bus stop for Gallo.  

Merkin confirmed Boob's report that Sox will pick up Kimbrel's option.  Didn't opine on trading him, but I think its safe to assume that is plan.  

Seemed noteworthy enough to bump this thread as many felt Sox will/should buy him out, and obviously, Boob isn't the most trustworthy reporter around. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Merkin confirmed Boob's report that Sox will pick up Kimbrel's option.  Didn't opine on trading him, but I think its safe to assume that is plan.  

Seemed noteworthy enough to bump this thread as many felt Sox will/should buy him out, and obviously, Boob isn't the most trustworthy reporter around. 

209D66FB-95C4-41C2-8051-C7DCC01D0DB2.gif

• Like 1

After reading a story about the state of the Sox bullpen next year, the Sox might well need to bring back Kimbrel. 

-Hendriks is back, as is Bummer.

-They are probably losing Kopech to the starting rotation.

-Tepera is a free agent.

-Going to guess that Crochet returns to the pen in an attempt to stretch him out over the season, but its possible they MiLB him to use him as a true starter to stretch him out for at least a portion of the season.

At this stage we probably have 4 relievers we can relatively count on.

-Cross Evan Marshall off of the list for 22.

-Reynaldo Lopez is an arb guy who the team will probably offer, but do they start him  in AAA as a starter, or use him as a long man in the MLB pen?

-Now we are down to Ruiz, Burr, Foster, Fry.

-You have returning injured pitchers in Jimmy Cordero and Jon Stiever.

-Past that?  Jimmy Lambert, who will probably be a AAA starter.  There aren't any big time prospects waiting in the wings here.