Rick Hahn 2021 End of Season Press Conference

South Side Hit Men

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I doubt any big changes are coming. La Russa is staying. He has a 3 year deal. Hahn will stay because the team is really good and I doubt he wants to move. Kenny is in a great spot too. Business as usual. 

Like I said,  I don't know anything,  but if any of the rumblings of last year were taken personally,  it would be an easy way out.

TL;DR

RH: Something something obviously disappointed something something something nobody is more disappointed than Jerry, Kenny, and myself something something our window is just starting to open blah blah blah take the next step

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, RTC said:

TL;DR

RH: Something something obviously disappointed something something something nobody is more disappointed than Jerry, Kenny, and myself something something our window is just starting to open blah blah blah take the next step

Lol

Edited by maloney.adam

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I have ZERO idea how either man felt about Tony being put into the mix by Jerry

That Zoom call Hahn held announcing the TLR signing was something to see ( not sure if you watched).  His body language, dodging of questions, his lack of excitement about just hiring a manager, were all on display.  Hahn was NOT a happy camper and sure as hell didn't seem to appreciate being put in the position of defending the hire to the press and an angry fan base.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

That Zoom call Hahn held announcing the TLR signing was something to see ( not sure if you watched).  His body language, dodging of questions, his lack of excitement about just hiring a manager, were all on display.  Hahn was NOT a happy camper and sure as hell didn't seem to appreciate being put in the position of defending the hire to the press and an angry fan base.

That's sure how I read, but again, I have no information the topic to speak with authority on the topic, nor will I pretend to.

1 hour ago, RTC said:

TL;DR

Perfect summary aside from your omission of terms such as “ideally”, “tea leaves”, and “druthers”.

😆

42 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

Hahn was like an ISIS hostage in that video. That's everything you need to know.

• Haha 3

“It isn’t under these conditions, ideally, that we are having this discussion, which of course, we would have liked to occur a bit later in the year, however, we stand here today knowing that, ideally our window has not only been declared as open, but from an operational point of view we would, having our druthers, mean that a preview to our fans of sustained success can be recognized.

When we set out on this path, ideally we were looking not for a single successful season, defined obviously by a World Series Championship, but rather, multiple championships and we still feel we are along that path when reading the tea leaves. We want to acknowledge the work this club did, acknowledge Tony and his… lead…. His… grea… his great leadership that Jerry is certainly… proud of… and we want to acknowledge the great support of all our amazing fans… while still most importantly acknowledging that we have more work to do.

Now, we look towards the ultimate goal of bringing a Championship to our great fans and we will continue moving on towards, ideally, reaching that goal in 2022, while still, making moves that set us up for also sustained success, the fruits of which, we are beginning to taste, which while we are pleased have been somewhat seen with the results on the field we all saw, the way the season ended did leave a bad taste in our mouth, and ideally we will see this adversity with a response which, ideally acts as motivation to return to the post season in short order while also, ideally, presenting itself with our desired goal. Until then our work is unfinished and ideally we sit here today better positioned to continue forward along the successful path we entered in upon a short time ago.”

The White Sox are at a real interesting place. They can no longer use the rebuild as a reason for not winning. Some real decisions have to be made this off -season, and, if they want to become a true contender, they have to spend money, at least some money. Another season of winning a bad division only to get embarrassed in the post-season isn't going to work. Fans who put up with a losing rebuild want more than that.

I have no idea what Hahn plans on doing, but I wouldn't want to stay in a situation where I was hamstrung in decision-making. He took the risk of taking on the rebuild; he should have been able to name his own manager to move the team forward. He should be able to make the big decisions now, and he shouldn't have LaRussa or anyone besides JR looking over his shoulder. And if JR doesn't have faith in him, why is he the GM?

And what  does Jerry Reinsdorf truly want? One more World Series? Or is a figurative second place okay with him?

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, NWINFan said:

The White Sox are at a real interesting place. They can no longer use the rebuild as a reason for not winning. Some real decisions have to be made this off -season, and, if they want to become a true contender, they have to spend money, at least some money. Another season of winning a bad division only to get embarrassed in the post-season isn't going to work. Fans who put up with a losing rebuild want more than that.

I have no idea what Hahn plans on doing, but I wouldn't want to stay in a situation where I was hamstrung in decision-making. He took the risk of taking on the rebuild; he should have been able to name his own manager to move the team forward. He should be able to make the big decisions now, and he shouldn't have LaRussa or anyone besides JR looking over his shoulder. And if JR doesn't have faith in him, why is he the GM?

And what  does Jerry Reinsdorf truly want? One more World Series? Or is a figurative second place okay with him?

I agree with most of what you said. You're right, some real decisions have to be made this off-season and I agree they need to spend at least some money. I was angry for going the cheap route coming into this season by signing Adam Eaton. That blew up in our face when we had to release the injury prone, past his prime Eaton in July and we had no right fielder again for the rest of the year. 

But I disagree in saying we were "embarrassed" in the playoffs. We didn't get embarrassed. We lost. Just like everyone else is going to do before this postseason is over except for one team. Just one. Everyone else will have their season end in disappointment, including a team later tonight that won either 107 or 106 games, and will be eliminated at the exact same time we did!! And I don't buy the "well at least we won one round before getting eliminated. That's better than losing the first round." I call bullshit on that. Win it all or your season ends in the same level of disappointment. The 2006 Bears taught me that. That team went all the way to the Super Bowl, and should have I might add, yet all anyone remembers about that team is how bad Rex Grossman sucked. No fond memories of that team. 

What it came down to in this series was our starters let us down. We got nothing from any of them. And they had so little confidence in Lynn, that they didn't want to bring him back in relief of Rodon in Game 4, even though he'd be on regular rest. Instead they used a used up Kopech and things spiraled from there. 

My biggest complaint was why wasn't Kopech stretched out long before this so he could be a starter, like he really is, by the post season? We all knew what happened to Rodon was going to happen. But instead they seemed content for Kopech to stay a middle reliever, and he's too valuable to be used that way. If anything, if we want to still sign Rodon, it will now be a lot easier, because only a completely brain damaged organization will give him a long term deal. No matter what "Borass" wants him to try and get. 

Edited by Soxsi75

7 hours ago, tray said:

I think LaRussa will be offered the GM job. I doubt he wants that and I doubt he wants to Manage next year.

Assuming that is the case, will Hahn be brought back as GM? I sincerely hope not. I have grown tired of Hahn promising "multiple champioships.

Talent evaluation prior to Drafts has been horrible. The Sox could have had Trea Turner and players other than Madrigal and Vaughn, who may not end up being all he was cracked up to be.  I know that is heresy among Vaughn  fans  but time will tell.

I think the Madrigal and Heuer to the Cubs  for Kimbrel debacle probably sealed Hahn's fate.

Not sure about potential GM candidates but there are several , maybe even including Theo.

So no LaRussa and no Hahn. Make them scapegoats (deservedly or not) and  move forward.

The team had a very profitable year and JR is extremely loyal. JR will not fire Hahn.  

https://www.mlb.com/news/carter-hawkins-cubs-gm

Guess nobody stuck out across the city, like Haber...that said, no Brewers' front office guys, either, or Cardinals, Giants, Dodgers, etc.

"According to The Athletic, the Cubs narrowed their GM search to four candidates, including Hawkins, James Harris (Cleveland's VP of player development), Carlos Rodriguez (Rays VP of player development and international scouting) and Jeremy Zoll (Twins assistant GM)."

Edited by caulfield12