Rick Hahn 2021 End of Season Press Conference

South Side Hit Men

3 hours ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Wow... I remember this and I always felt sorry Hahn didn't get to choose his man after architecting the rebuild, but he clearly didn't agree with Jerry's hire.  Only 4 minutes in but it's painful to watch.  Not sure Hinch was the man which is who I believe Hahn was going to hire which may be why Jerry stepped in.  Only problem instead of a cheater we ended up with Tony and his DUI's which can be argued is worse than the cheating.  Bruce Bochy was my choice but after reading he turned down the Padres he may not have been an option which could be why Hahn turned to Hinch.   As much as the faithful didn't want Tony, I don't think we wanted a cheater either.  So I ask if not Tony, Hinch, or Bochy then who?

Ozzie

3 hours ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Wow... I remember this and I always felt sorry Hahn didn't get to choose his man after architecting the rebuild, but he clearly didn't agree with Jerry's hire.  Only 4 minutes in but it's painful to watch.  Not sure Hinch was the man which is who I believe Hahn was going to hire which may be why Jerry stepped in.  Only problem instead of a cheater we ended up with Tony and his DUI's which can be argued is worse than the cheating.  Bruce Bochy was my choice but after reading he turned down the Padres he may not have been an option which could be why Hahn turned to Hinch.   As much as the faithful didn't want Tony, I don't think we wanted a cheater either.  So I ask if not Tony, Hinch, or Bochy then who?

Bochy turned down the Padres, because it was reported Bruce had (and still has) no interest in dealing with Preller, an issue the Padres will continue to have while seeking their next manager.

The White Sox did not explore any other options. Jerry called Tony, Tony called the BBHOF to ensure he couldn’t lose his ring, before accepting Reinsdorf’s offer. A sham “Selig Rule” interview with Willie Harris was conducted, and that was that.

The SoxTalk Poll conducted last year resulted in just over 90% equally split in wanting Hinch or a non Hinch/Tony option, and the remaining 9% wanting Tony.

10 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Another fascinating thing here is how many on one hand think RH would be a very attractive candidate for a promotion for some MLB team not named the White Sox, yet think almost every high draft choice he made or big time prospect he acquired needs to be traded.

I can't even imagine this team if we kept all the young talent that has come through this organization. They might have had to cancel the league because ...what's the point? If the Sox would outlaw prospect trades for veterans going forward, that might be a good beginning for an organic recovery from the hamstringing that the suits like to do to the squad.

15 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Did they not have an EOS presser? 

If not, what are they hiding from? 

They haven't yet, Hahn was waiting for your return to ST. :D

Meetings with the players, manager and coaching staff should have concluded. Hopefully, Hahn will make himself available for media before the World Series. I'm monitoring James Fegan's twitter account.

On 10/17/2021 at 4:11 PM, South Side Hit Men said:

Bochy turned down the Padres, because it was reported Bruce had (and still has) no interest in dealing with Preller, an issue the Padres will continue to have while seeking their next manager.

The White Sox did not explore any other options. Jerry called Tony, Tony called the BBHOF to ensure he couldn’t lose his ring, before accepting Reinsdorf’s offer. A sham “Selig Rule” interview with Willie Harris was conducted, and that was that.

The SoxTalk Poll conducted last year resulted in just over 90% equally split in wanting Hinch or a non Hinch/Tony option, and the remaining 9% wanting Tony.

I'll repeat as you clearly didn't understand the question.

So I ask if not Tony, Hinch, or Bochy then who?

15 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

GFY with your condescension. Hinch or Bochy were the correct options, and both were available but the Sox didn't seek either.

50 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

GFY with your condescension. Hinch or Bochy were the correct options, and both were available but the Sox didn't seek either.

1 hour ago, A-Train to 35th said:

As much of a problem as who they chose in the end was the process and even the LaRussa lovers should have a complaint about this.

One of the important parts in conducting a real, non phony search was for the GM and coach to give each other feedback, pick their brains, and find some common ground. While they aren’t going to agree on everything, they are at least going to have a working relationship.

What did we actually see? LaRuss coming out after game 2 and complaining about how Kimbrel is a closer and he’s just not used to that role. So, the end result we have is the manager publicly saying “bad call GM I didn’t agree” on that move after a playoff game. And hell, the move turned out terrible, so if LaRussa didn’t like it originally, he would have been right! The lack of trust and communication hurt this team and that started with the process last fall.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

As much of a problem as who they chose in the end was the process and even the LaRussa lovers should have a complaint about this.

One of the important parts in conducting a real, non phony search was for the GM and coach to give each other feedback, pick their brains, and find some common ground. While they aren’t going to agree on everything, they are at least going to have a working relationship.

What did we actually see? LaRuss coming out after game 2 and complaining about how Kimbrel is a closer and he’s just not used to that role. So, the end result we have is the manager publicly saying “bad call GM I didn’t agree” on that move after a playoff game. And hell, the move turned out terrible, so if LaRussa didn’t like it originally, he would have been right! The lack of trust and communication hurt this team and that started with the process last fall.

Agreed. Theo and Jed stated they learned a lot while conducting their thorough search for Maddon’s replacement. The favorite won it, but they were so impressed by the Astros bench coach Joe Espada and what they learned from him that he was nearly hired. I’m sure many here would also disqualify Joe for being from the Astros, despite the fact he was hired in 2018 after his three year stint with the Yankees (another proven “cheating” team).

However, I see Tony’s Kimbrel comments more as Tony trying to protect Kimbrel, or making an excuse for him, more so than an attack on Hahn. I still contend Kimbrel was out of gas the last two months due to pitching more through July than he did 2019-2020 combined, due to owner collision (2019) and the owner lockout (2020). Keuchel experienced the same phenomenon.

12 hours ago, A-Train to 35th said:

If I see credible information indicating Bochy was unavailable or unwilling to come here that might change things for me, as he was the clear best choice.  I haven’t seen any, though.  The answer is Bochy.

9 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Agreed. Theo and Jed stated they learned a lot while conducting their thorough search for Maddon’s replacement. The favorite won it, but they were so impressed by the Astros bench coach Joe Espada and what they learned from him that he was nearly hired. I’m sure many here would also disqualify Joe for being from the Astros, despite the fact he was hired in 2018 after his three year stint with the Yankees (another proven “cheating” team).

However, I see Tony’s Kimbrel comments more as Tony trying to protect Kimbrel, or making an excuse for him, more so than an attack on Hahn. I still contend Kimbrel was out of gas the last two months due to pitching more through July than he did 2019-2020 combined, due to owner collision (2019) and the owner lockout (2020). Keuchel experienced the same phenomenon.

And/or collusion…if nothing else, they should have taken the opportunity to interview at least 2-3 top guys from other organizations before they just gave it to LaRussa.  Then they actually might have learned something about their organization from an outsider’s objectivity.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Reinsdorf knew and didn’t care.

Yes, but that was at the point it already was a done deal when the news came out. I am sure they knew of it, but if it became public before the process, I think there is a decent chance they might not have bothered.

Edited by Dick Allen

21 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yes, but that was at the point it already was a done deal when the news came out. I am sure they knew of it, but if it became public before the process, I think there is a decent chance they might not have bothered.

We got the unofficial official team response from Nightengale - that DUIs were a little people crime. JR couldn’t have cared less. I’m 50/50 about whether they still would have hired him if he went on a racist rant during his arrest - as long as it wasn’t antisemitic.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

We got the unofficial official team response from Nightengale - that DUIs were a little people crime. JR couldn’t have cared less. I’m 50/50 about whether they still would have hired him if he went on a racist rant during his arrest - as long as it wasn’t antisemitic.

They obviously wouldn't have kept him if he went on a racist rant. Do you honestly believe that is or is this classic Balta exaggeration?

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Reinsdorf knew and didn’t care.

I don’t believe he didn’t care. Reinsdorf reveled in it, enjoyed shoving the drunken criminal down the throats of fans, media, and the taxpayers he robs for his capital expenses.

He also loves keeping gang-rape coach around, as well as executives who physically assault direct reports.

Toxicity and dysfunction is the lifetime MO of Reinsdorf and a hallmark of his organizations.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ron883 said:

They obviously wouldn't have kept him if he went on a racist rant. Do you honestly believe that is or is this classic Balta exaggeration?

We got “Do you know who I am!” to a cop and they laughed it off.  If they had any decency that would have blown up their whole cabal, instead Nightengale publicly stated LaRussa was correct. “I think there’s so many things on his resume that just overshadow an errant judgment. Whether he had a sip of wine, a couple glasses of wine, what have you. There’s a lot of worse things that [have] happened besides a manager getting pulled over on suspicion of DUI.”

None of us get away with saying shit like that to the police. So yeah, even if he’d said something worse I’m 50/50 at best, as long as he didn’t personally insult Reinsdorf’s people.

11 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I don’t believe he didn’t care. Reinsdorf reveled in it, enjoyed shoving the drunken criminal down the throats of fans, media, and the taxpayers he robs for his capital expenses.

He also loves keeping gang-rape coach around, as well as executives who physically assault direct reports.

Toxicity and dysfunction is the lifetime MO of Reinsdorf and a hallmark of his organizations.

Gang-rape coach?

13 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Geez, how many years ago was that?  Let it go.