Rick Hahn 2021 End of Season Press Conference

South Side Hit Men

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I’ve speculated for a month now that I could see Hahn leaving (not sourced at all)

This would not surprise me either, for several reasons.

1. For whatever reason, he is somewhat marketable. 

2. His nose might be out of joint due to LaRussa being forced on him.

3. Just time for a change.

4. He probably interviews very well.

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’ve speculated for a month now that I could see Hahn leaving (not sourced at all)

I know it’s just speculation but I don’t see Hahn leaving. I don’t think he’s happy with how the managerial search played out but I don’t think he’s going to jump ship after the rebuild is over. I can see maybe a few of the coaches being fired but nothing major in the front office. Most likely Boston will be fired and maybe McEwing for some of his bonehead calls sending runners home.

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

I know it’s just speculation but I don’t see Hahn leaving. I don’t think he’s happy with how the managerial search played out but I don’t think he’s going to jump ship after the rebuild is over. I can see maybe a few of the coaches being fired but nothing major in the front office. 

I agree for the most part...but maybe he thinks the next step we hope the organization takes will be the hardest?  Winning a division is great...and fun!  And yet...the playoff series made it look like the organization has a long way to go in order to beat the likes of Houston (or a team built like Houston).  Hopefully RH can fix the roster a bit and improve the rotation enough to take the step.  But it won't be easy (especially given the resources the White Sox traditionally spend).  RH might have reached his max appeal right now? 

23 hours ago, tray said:

I would tell Hahn GFY and get anther GM, Then let that GM hire a new Manager subject to owbership approval.

As far as Hunch he can GFH as well.

RaBBit: 

Yes, in fact, Hinch absolutely knew about the cheating. That was the finding of the Commissioner.

"Hinch attempted to signal his disapproval of the
scheme by physically damaging the monitor on two occasions, necessitating its
replacement. However, Hinch admits he did not stop it and he did not notify players or
Cora that he disapproved of it, even after the Red Sox were disciplined in September 2017.
Similarly, he knew of and did not stop the communication of sign information from the
replay review room, although he disagreed with this practice as well and specifically voiced
his concerns on at least one occasion about the use of the replay phone for this purpose.
As the person with responsibility for managing his players and coaches, there simply is no
justification for Hinch’s failure to act. If Hinch was unsure about how to handle the
situation, it was his responsibility to bring the issue to the attention of Luhnow. Hinch
expressed much contrition both to me and my investigators for allowing the conduct to
continue. Although I appreciate Hinch’s remorsefulness, I must hold him accountable for
the conduct of his team, particularly since he had full knowledge of the conduct and  chose to allow it to continue throughout the 2017 Postseason."

Manfred considered banning Hinch from baseball, and IMO he should have. The conduct that he knew about was on par or perhaps worse than what the 1919 WSox did.

https://www.crawfishboxes.com/2020/1/13/21064270/mlb-commissioner-rob-manfreds-full-statement-on-the-houston-astros-sign-stealing-investigation a

What a bunch of B.S.....Some Astros players told my investigators that they did not believe the sign-stealing scheme was effective, and it was more distracting than useful to hitters. I am neither in a position to evaluate whether the scheme helped Astros hitters (who were unquestionably a very talented group), nor whether it helped the Astros win any games.

Manford should be banned for making an asine comment like that basically defending the Astros.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

What a bunch of B.S.....Some Astros players told my investigators that they did not believe the sign-stealing scheme was effective, and it was more distracting than useful to hitters. I am neither in a position to evaluate whether the scheme helped Astros hitters (who were unquestionably a very talented group), nor whether it helped the Astros win any games.

Manford should be banned for making an asine comment like that basically defending the Astros.

I was on a team that had a 1st base coach who was able to see the signs, but he got it wrong twice with me, so I told him I didn't want them anymore. I watched a show yesterday where Ozzie Guillen Jr. was saying in the 2005 WS the White Sox had a scouting report that showed how several Astros pitchers tipped their pitches. When Chad Qualls came in for Paulie in game 2, Paulie went over to talk to Greg Walker and told him he has his pitches. Paulie knew what was coming and put in on the board. 

4 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Yes - perhaps my least favorite part of the report, and definitely the most passive aggressive.  "I'm not saying...I'm just saying."  If you really don't want to take any position on a topic you just don't say anything about it.   

Couple things with Hahn.

If a team wanted to interview him for CEO of Baseball Ops or President of Baseball Ops, they would not need permission from JR.

His children are also in college and getting up there.

The TLR hiring caused a serious issue in the FO. Reinsdorf made a public vote of confidence against Hahn and pissed all over the hierarchy in baseball ops. 

I would still be surprised if Hahn left, but it makes more sense now than it ever has. 

1 hour ago, raBBit said:

Couple things with Hahn.

If a team wanted to interview him for CEO of Baseball Ops or President of Baseball Ops, they would not need permission from JR.

His children are also in college and getting up there.

The TLR hiring caused a serious issue in the FO. Reinsdorf made a public vote of confidence against Hahn and pissed all over the hierarchy in baseball ops. 

I would still be surprised if Hahn left, but it makes more sense now than it ever has. 

Is that really true? JR denied the Blue Jay's a chance to interview KW to be their president.  He is a Senior VP with the White Sox.

45 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Is that really true? JR denied the Blue Jay's a chance to interview KW to be their president.  He is a Senior VP with the White Sox.

I guess towards the interview question, unless something has changed recently and I missed it, in order to interview an exec for a lateral move (ex. GM to GM, President to President), you need to have permission from the team. In the case where the role the interview is desired for would be a promotion (GM to President), you don't need permission.

That's not really what happened with KW & TOR re: JR giving a denial. The Jays reached out to Reinsdorf to ask for permission to interview KW. When JR brought it to KW, KW indicated they had already reached out to him through another individual (which was tampering). What the Blue Jays didn't know was they were trying to pluck Kenny (JR's right hand guy) to replace their President who was one of Reinsdorf's best friends. So Reinsdorf was totally offended. Past that, these communications have to occur in writing. So a phone call would not constitute a request to interview. So Reinsdorf didn't follow up. They didn't put the offer to writing because they were likely tampering. Reinsdorf didn't honor a response because they didn't communicate it the correct way. Also, I don't know if this request was a courtesy or necessary but Williams would have been interviewing for a promotion (EVP to President).

Not sure if the extent of this was reported but that's my memory of the situation. I could be wrong.

Edited by raBBit

I don't see how Hahn's record with the Sox would be particularly attractive to other teams.  2 quick exists preceded by 7 losing seasons. He inherited a lot of talent; drafts were so-so. Slow to bring in analytics.    He's not a talent evaluator.  
But his contract work was first-rate and he may be well-regarded in the business.

An owner not trusting his GM is just bad business all around.    

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Today would be a good day to hold it with most people focused on other more current Chicago Sports ineptitude.

It’s today or not until after the World Series, if ever.

How about a triple play counting a manager?

Mitch is talking about colliton and nagy.  That's it

On 10/22/2021 at 12:07 PM, raBBit said:

I guess towards the interview question, unless something has changed recently and I missed it, in order to interview an exec for a lateral move (ex. GM to GM, President to President), you need to have permission from the team. In the case where the role the interview is desired for would be a promotion (GM to President), you don't need permission.

That's not really what happened with KW & TOR re: JR giving a denial. The Jays reached out to Reinsdorf to ask for permission to interview KW. When JR brought it to KW, KW indicated they had already reached out to him through another individual (which was tampering). What the Blue Jays didn't know was they were trying to pluck Kenny (JR's right hand guy) to replace their President who was one of Reinsdorf's best friends. So Reinsdorf was totally offended. Past that, these communications have to occur in writing. So a phone call would not constitute a request to interview. So Reinsdorf didn't follow up. They didn't put the offer to writing because they were likely tampering. Reinsdorf didn't honor a response because they didn't communicate it the correct way. Also, I don't know if this request was a courtesy or necessary but Williams would have been interviewing for a promotion (EVP to President).

Not sure if the extent of this was reported but that's my memory of the situation. I could be wrong.

That’s all fine and dandy but it doesn’t explain why they would call JR to ask permission if they don’t need it. And if you don’t need it, why would reaching out to KW be tampering? We also know every team, including the White Sox more than likely tampers to some extent.

Edited by Dick Allen

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That’s all fine and dandy but it doesn’t explain why they would call JR to ask permission if they don’t need it. And if you don’t need it, why would reaching out to KW be tampering?

Like I said in my post, my understanding is that an elevation in role doesn't require permission where a lateral move does. This is how Ricketts was able to get Epstein (creating a higher baseball ops role than GM). Reinsdorf followed suit with KW & Hahn and this is how the Sox were able to keep Hahn with other teams pursuing him when he was AGM. Do you know this rule to be different or have changed? Like I said, it could have been a courtesy to Reinsdrof. 

I did find this article below from 2015 that outlines  what I am talking about. I am not going to act like I know the tampering rules and tampering in general is usually skirted and just a matter of what what becomes public. Nonetheless, Reinsdorf went on record saying that the Blue Jays were tampering so I guess I am just taking his word for it. 

https://torontosun.com/2015/01/23/the-inside-story-on-how-rogers-tried-to-replace-blue-jays-president-paul-beeston

21 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Also why is everyone so upset about a meeting which will tell you nothing

Because we are eager to put Hahn's lawyer-speak under a microscope in order to squeeze out more speculation in the form of threads with questions we can't answer? That's my best guess at least.

Past that, the Brewers just rejected the Mets request to interview Stearns. In this article below, this Mets writer says the same thing I am saying with the executives not needing permission to interview for a role elevation.

"In Major League circles, executives under contract elsewhere are generally allowed to interview for positions that would be considered promotions."

https://www.mlb.com/news/mets-president-of-baseball-operations-search-update

Why the Blue Jays asked for JR's permission still, I don't know. Could be out of respect or fear from Reinsdorf, could be a courtesy. These rules aren't exactly easy to find in my searches. 

Edited by raBBit

Just now, raBBit said:

Like I said in my post, my understanding is that an elevation in role doesn't require permission where a lateral move does. This is how Ricketts was able to get Epstein (creating a higher baseball ops role than GM). Reinsdorf followed suit with KW & Hahn and this is how the Sox were able to keep Hahn with other teams pursuing him when he was AGM. Do you know this rule to be different or have changed? Like I said, it could have been a courtesy to Reinsdrof. 

I did find this article below from 2015 that outlines  what I am talking about. I am not going to act like I know the tampering rules and tampering in general is usually skirted and just a matter of what what becomes public. Nonetheless, Reinsdorf went on record saying that the Blue Jays were tampering so I guess I am just taking his word for it. 

https://torontosun.com/2015/01/23/the-inside-story-on-how-rogers-tried-to-replace-blue-jays-president-paul-beeston

The may have bungled the attempted hire, but it doesn’t answer the question why talking to him would be tampering, and why they would call JR for permission in the first place.Maybe they need to contact him to tell him they plan to pursue him first, which makes sense, so maybe that is why it is technically tampering. And if it truly is a promotion, you would have to be pretty petty to keep someome in a job when they would rather be somewhere else.  But I am more than sure contact that is technically tampering occurs with every team every year.