ALCS - BoSox / Ashoes

hi8is

If the Red Sox do win this series, we're probably sitting at 5th/6th in the American League as the team is currently constituted...assuming Rodon is gone.

1) Red Sox

2) Astros (lose Correa but get back Verlander, who knows what he'll have left in the tank, but never to be underestimated)

3) Rays

4) Yankees

5) Blue Jays/White Sox

7) Mariners/Angels

9) Tigers

Guess it remains to be seen what happens with both Ray and Semien, Toronto's looking at a step back and obviously the margin of error in that AL East is so so thin with four really strong teams bunched together.

42 minutes ago, hi8is said:

And their missing their ace. I believe we beat them if they didn’t have McCullers.

Their Ace was Verlander, until injury cost him and the Astros the entire season. They were also missing Zach Greinke, their number 3 behind Verlander and McCuller, and they were also without him in the playoffs beyond a couple of relief innings.

Heading into 2022, both Verlander and Greinke are FAs. Astros have more flexibility than the White Sox ($92M vs. $109M) heading into this off-season, and an owner willing to consistently finish in the Top 9 of baseball in payroll.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

14 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

If the Red Sox do win this series, we're probably sitting at 5th/6th in the American League as the team is currently constituted...assuming Rodon is gone.

1) Red Sox

2) Astros (lose Correa but get back Verlander, who knows what he'll have left in the tank, but never to be underestimated)

3) Rays

4) Yankees

5) Blue Jays/White Sox

7) Mariners/Angels

9) Tigers

Guess it remains to be seen what happens with both Ray and Semien, Toronto's looking at a step back and obviously the margin of error in that AL East is so so thin with four really strong teams bunched together.

Yea I'm sure absolutely no changes will happen and everything will remain static 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Their Ace was Verlander, until injury cost him and the Astros the entire season. They were also missing Zach Greinke, their number 3 behind Verlander and McCuller, and they were also without him in the playoffs beyond a couple of relief innings.

Heading into 2022, both Verlander and Greinke are FAs. Astros have more flexibility than the White Sox ($92M vs. $109M) heading into this off-season, and an owner willing to consistently finish in the Top 9 of baseball in payroll.

Seems irrelevant to the fact that they’re a much lesser team this post season without McCullers… and our outlook against them without him is far different than what transpired. 

2 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

It wont bother me if Houston wins.  It feels better getting beat by a team going to the World Series.

I like Dusty.  I want him to win a World Series.  I think he's just a great character in the game and someone I've enjoyed following over the years.  And the reasons his teams have lost have been unfairly blamed on him.  The Marlins were a better team than the Cubs in 03.  They won the World Series that year.  And Baker was stuck with a crap bullpen and didn't have many options to turn to.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/17/2021 at 7:20 AM, Kyyle23 said:

Yea I'm sure absolutely no changes will happen and everything will remain static 

Right.  The quickest and most time-tested path to being wrong in sports is treating one season's postseason results as both definitive judgments on team quality, and perfectly predictive of the next season's team hierarchy.  Yet sports conventional wisdom is built on it.