Nitengale: La Russa "definitely" returning to the Sox

Buehrle>Wood

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/2021-mlb-playoffs-winners-and-losers-of-alds-and-nlds-including-under-the-radar-red-sox-and-christian-yelich/

Top of the list? You guessed it!

Loser: Tony La Russa

Turning to baseball's other Sox, the ALDS is the kind of series the White Sox were supposed to win when they made a change at manager over the winter, dumping Rick Renteria in favor of Tony La Russa. That didn't work out.

Instead La Russa made some questionable decisions with his bullpen, and ended his first year back in Chicago by accusing the Astros of intentionally plunking José Abreu. 

A manager can do only so much to a team's chances, good or bad, during a four-game stretch. But there's no real reason to think Renteria would have fared worse

Universally accepted that Tony La Russa did a horrible job in the ALDS and the season ... Management reaction? Jerry's ego matters more than winning, the players, and the fans ...

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, KrankinSox said:

Hated it. Hope our pitching staff can fair better in next year's playoffs and that the run producers in our lineup are able to hit for more power. To suggest we lost because of Tony is not telling the whole picture.

The pitchers weren't the greatest but it's the manager responsibility to see impending doom.  The defensive alignments were so atrocious.  In game 2 alone it gave the stros 4 runs.  The sox lost game 1 and 4 for real but game 2 is dub with a competent manager 9 times out of 10.

3 minutes ago, pettie4sox said:

The pitchers weren't the greatest but it's the manager responsibility to see impending doom.  The defensive alignments were so atrocious.  In game 2 alone it gave the stros 4 runs.  The sox lost game 1 and 4 for real but game 2 is dub with a competent manager 9 times out of 10.

I was frustrated with decisions in Game 2 as well. I think Tony deserves credit for pen management in game 3 though. 

For any of the LaRussa fans, now that the season is over...What did Tony do to make this team better than 2020? What did he do better than Ricky? What did he do to put the team in a better chance to win than the manager across the dugout? 

Very curious to hear. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

For any of the LaRussa fans, now that the season is over...What did Tony do to make this team better than 2020? What did he do better than Ricky? What did he do to put the team in a better chance to win than the manager across the dugout? 

Very curious to hear. 

Club respected him and played loose. One of the things I respected about Tony was his matter-of-fact nature and honesty. Never was too high or low emotionally, which is needed during the marathon that is baseball. We just lost, mostly because our starting pitching completely shit the bed. Tony doesn't have a magic wand unfortunately.

What, in your opinion, could Tony have done differently that would have made us beat the Astros? I have some gripes about Game 2 but even with perfect managing we still probably lose that game. Games 1 and 4 were ass whoopings. Game 3 he managed the pen perfectly.

EDIT: I would also like to add that I think many Tony "supporters" like myself, don't necessarily think Tony is some amazing gift from God manager. We just think the negativity of him is so out of control that we just tend to defend him because he's not as bad as he's made out to be.  He was obviously a great manager in his time, which may be past him, but it's not like he's so mentally out of it that he can't competently manage a baseball team. We literally have a President of the US who is older than him and I think that job is a little tougher than managing baseball.

Edited by KrankinSox
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, KrankinSox said:

Club respected him and played loose. One of the things I respected about Tony was his matter-of-fact nature and honesty. Never was too high or low emotionally, which is needed during the marathon that is baseball. We just lost, mostly because our starting pitching completely shit the bed. Tony doesn't have a magic wand unfortunately.

What, in your opinion, could Tony have done differently that would have made us beat the Astros? I have some gripes about Game 2 but even with perfect managing we still probably lose that game. Games 1 and 4 were ass whoopings. Game 3 he managed the pen perfectly.

Not start Lynn in game 1 in a god awful matchup.  Pretty much every bullpen decision he made the whole series.  Pinch hitting Cesar for Engel to start na inning in game 2, and putting Leury in RF where he went on to cost multiple runs with missing a play Engel makes in his sleep.  At that point, the series was over.  Just plain got our asses kicked in game 4, but bringing Kopech in in that spot in game 4 was another curious one.  Not arguing for his guys when there was an awful strike zone, but arguing over a completely meaningless HBP.

Tony was fucking awful for the vast majority of the season.  

Sox xW-L was 97-76.  Enough for HFA.  At a minimum, Tony cost them that.  However, when watching the season unfold with missed reviews, bad pen management, terrible lineups, over resting, etc., he cost them far more.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I bet if you asked at the same point last year, Rick Renteria would have been in the same boat.

Right! What are they supposed to say?  "Tony was a nice guy and we respect his past, but he's past his prime and cost us in multiple situations.  Fire his ass." C'mon! 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Not start Lynn in game 1 in a god awful matchup.  Pretty much every bullpen decision he made the whole series.  Pinch hitting Cesar for Engel to start na inning in game 2, and putting Leury in RF where he went on to cost multiple runs with missing a play Engel makes in his sleep.  At that point, the series was over.  Just plain got our asses kicked in game 4, but bringing Kopech in in that spot in game 4 was another curious one.  Not arguing for his guys when there was an awful strike zone, but arguing over a completely meaningless HBP.

Tony was fucking awful for the vast majority of the season.  

Sox xW-L was 97-76.  Enough for HFA.  At a minimum, Tony cost them that.  However, when watching the season unfold with missed reviews, bad pen management, terrible lineups, over resting, etc., he cost them far more.  

The Lynn in game 1 start made perfect sense if the goal was to win 1 in Houston. Cease needed to pitch at home, which only leave Lynn and Giolito to pitch in Games 1 and 2, given Rodon's status.  Even if Gio pitched game 1, we still lose based on McCullers' performance.  The Sox gave Giolito a lead in game 2 going into the 5th inning, so the starting pitching plan worked, except Gio couldn't make it through 5.

I think the Cesar pinch hit was really costly and I did not agree with it. However, we were already Losing when Leury botched the play in RF. We probably lose game 2 regardless. If Kimbrel came in and did his job better, that would have remained a 1 run game.

His pen management game 3 was perfect.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Have you watched the last 12 months? What makes you think they can’t find another bottom?

Wait "another bottom"?  What was the previous "bottom"?  In the last 12 months we went to the playoffs twice, and we just won the division with the heart of our lineup out half the season.  I mean, losing in the playoffs is disappointing but let's not pretend the last 12 months have been like a series of catastrophes.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

The Lynn in game 1 start made perfect sense if the goal was to win 1 in Houston. Cease needed to pitch at home, which only leave Lynn and Giolito to pitch in Games 1 and 2, given Rodon's status.  Even if Gio pitched game 1, we still lose based on McCullers' performance.  The Sox gave Giolito a lead in game 2 going into the 5th inning, so the starting pitching plan worked, except Gio couldn't make it through 5.

I think the Cesar pinch hit was really costly and I did not agree with it. However, we were already Losing when Leury botched the play in RF. We probably lose game 2 regardless. If Kimbrel came in and did his job better, that would have remained a 1 run game.

His pen management game 3 was perfect.

Have you seen Lance Lynn's #s in Houston?

Gio couldn't make it thru 5 because he was toast and TLR left him in 2 batters too long.