Nitengale: La Russa "definitely" returning to the Sox

Buehrle>Wood

6 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/featured/white-sox-changed-comiskey-park-dimensions-for-more-home-runs

I don't know if Tony is a "pioneer" but he certainly has shown a willingness to use analytics throughout his career. Interesting article ^

We're really reaching with the term advanced analytics and the distance of the fence.

13 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

The point is as far back asย the early 80s, Tony was willing to let "nerds" help him make baseball decisions. He isn't some hard-ass, old school TWTW guy.

And whoโ€™s to say he hasnโ€™t tried to bring the game back to the good ole days by minimizing the number of shifts his team would do

39 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Are the advanced scouts the same? Are the people in the analytics department the same?

These decisions aren't made by one person without input from others.

Yes I'm sure the White Sox fired everybody or gave alot of those guys different roles one year later...

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

You know there are a number of pitchers who do not like the defense to shift, right?

But hasnโ€™t shifting around the league been more effective than harmful. I made this point the other day, but I canโ€™t imagine how bad the defensive stats for the team would have been if the pitchers didnโ€™t strikeout so many hitters.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

This is nothing to lose sleepย over as it was inevitable he was coming back. ย Just need Hahn to amass enough talent to overcome La Russaโ€™s poor decision-making. ย Hopefully he does better this offseason than at the trade deadline.

This. Tony sucks, but talent wins out. Hahn absolutely shit the bed during this trade deadline. Jerry needs to open the checkbook and Hahn needs to have one hell of an offseason.ย 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

But hasnโ€™t shifting around the league been more effective than harmful. I made this point the other day, but I canโ€™t imagine how bad the defensive stats for the team would have been if the pitchers didnโ€™t strikeout so many hitters.

I don't know, has it?ย  I haven't seen anything on this year but I thought previous years ย babip has been fairly normal.ย ย 

5 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I don't know, has it?ย  I haven't seen anything on this year but I thought previous years ย babip has been fairly normal.ย ย 

I've explained why, given the volume of balls in play and the amount of plays that are effected by the shift (there has been a very small decrease in BABIP), but there's no point in presenting it to you since you're not really one who is willing to listen and understand the math behind it.

1 hour ago, chetkincaid said:

Theyโ€™re not going to say they donโ€™t want him back - even if they didnโ€™t.ย 

I have a very hard time seeing someone as strong minded as Tim Anderson lie about something because he thinks his bosses will be mad if he doesnt say what they want to hear.ย 

Typing it out now, it makes even less sense to think about! The Tim Anderson... suddenly a Yes man.ย 

7 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

This team wonโ€™t win under La Russa unless he becomes just a figurehead in the dugout whileย smarter, younger people runย the team in the background.ย 

Which his ego is too big for. Instead we are going to waste our window we waited years for.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1