Nitengale: La Russa "definitely" returning to the Sox

Buehrle>Wood

Just now, Paulie4Pres said:

You do realize that BAC has nothing to do with analytics or statistics, right?

But, here's a statistic for you. Tony La Russa has been arrested twice for DUI. In 100% of those instances, he was over the legal limit. In 100% of those instances, he was displaying driving behavior that would lead one to believe he was driving drunk. In 100% of those instances, the police arrested him for it.

Actually determining drunk driving is based on BAC which is a statistic. How drunk you are is based on BAC.

Im not sure what your 2 incident sample size means, Im pretty sure that isnt how analytics works. I think you may be confused on how to use statistics. 

If you want to call people meatheads about not following stats, dont be a hypocrite about it.

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

Actually determining drunk driving is based on BAC which is a statistic. How drunk you are is based on BAC.

Im not sure what your 2 incident sample size means, Im pretty sure that isnt how analytics works. I think you may be confused on how to use statistics. 

If you want to call people meatheads about not following stats, dont be a hypocrite about it.

BAC is not statistics. It's a single fucking measurement. Jesus Christ. Statistics should be a mandatory class for everyone, starting in middle school.

And none of this has ANYTHING to do with analytics.

Edited by Paulie4Pres
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Actually BAC is percentage, but ok 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Paulie4Pres said:

BAC is not a statistic. It's a single fucking measurement. Jesus Christ. Statistics should be a mandatory class for everyone, starting in middle school.

Youre right. I did not express myself well because I was responding to multiple posts too quickly.

Just gets so tiring on this board to read a bunch of holier than thou people. I dont drink and drive, I think its the stupidest thing. But I also dont act live Ive never done something stupid.

5 hours ago, quickman said:

Sure he does. He doesn't have to answer to anyone or for anything.  Ricky had the balls to go to Abreu and tell him you need to become a legitimate first baseman or you're a permanent DH. Does Tony have the balls to tell Tim or Abreu anything?

Abreu plays every game, regardless of how bad he is injured or is slumping. Not only does he pencil himself in, he demands the best player available to protect him in the lineup. And stop running out there when Abreu gets hit like he is two years old.

3 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Then why were the numbers so much better under Ricky Renteria who was just a year removed?

Part of it is due to the fact the Sox were playing absolute ciphers in the OF (Goodwin, Lamb, Sheets), but we were told the team would be better offensively and defensively when everyone was back, and they looked like absolute shit defensively the entire series and played their worst baseball of the season in Game 4.

2 hours ago, KrankinSox said:

WTF does "originally" mean in that tweet? I read it as he will now stay LONGER than three years,

He did not go in there and said I'm only staying one more season. He's not going to start the season intentionally as a lame duck.

It's my contention this clown wants to beat Connie Mack's record. I could see Jerry putting in his will that Tony cannot be fired under any circumstance.

14 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

This is the same guy who said in 2007 after his arrest that he took full responsibility and "it would never happen again". Maybe he has a drinking problem, maybe he doesn't. What's 100% clear is he's a stubborn asshole who, at the very least, suffers from a chronic case of extremely poor judgement. Then again, anyone who has watched him manage recently could tell you that.

TLR is set in his ways,and does not adjust 

Well isn't that just great.  We were already in worse shape this off season than we were after last off season.  This just keeps that train rolling.  Dude is going to fuck up this whole window, isn't he?  I just don't see how this same core actually gets better and gets over the hump with Tony at the helm next season.  That said, we still all knew he was coming back.  Doesn't mean it doesn't suck.

55 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Because like most things the White Sox do from an organizational standpoint, they do it poorly. Because their owner is a stupid fuck.

Dodgers, Astros, Braves are #1, #3, and #4 in shift rates in the MLB. This is not a coincidence. 

You dinosaurs really do blow my mind. Stick to your guns regardless of how wrong you are, or how detrimental your position is towards success. 

But  Mets, Tigers, Marlins are #2, #5, #7  in shift rate, Is that a coincidence?. But Cardinals at #26 and Brewers at #29 did not hinder their success.  Tampa #16 and SF # 23 were not near the  top of list and they had the best records in each league. Maybe it is not the number of times a team shifts but how good a team is at knowing when to shift.  

Just now, Soxbadger said:

Youre right. I did not express myself well because I was responding to multiple posts too quickly.

Just gets so tiring on this board to read a bunch of holier than thou people. I dont drink and drive, I think its the stupidest thing. But I also dont act live Ive never done something stupid.

Who is acting like they've never done something stupid? I don't manage a Major League Baseball team, so the stupid things I may or may not have done are immaterial to this discussion. Whether you like it or not, with increased responsibility, comes increased accountability. When you're in a leadership position, standards are, and should be, much higher. The fact that TLR has been arrested twice for DUI is pretty telling(here's where analytics comes in). This speaks to a pattern of poor judgement. It points to a pattern of stubbornness, and not learning from your mistakes(especially when you state IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN). These are not attributes I want in the guy managing my favorite baseball team.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

37 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

For someone who is calling people meatheads for not believing in analytics, you sure dont care about facts:

Hate to break it to you but that is well below the "enhanced penalty level" in Arizona.  Yeah its a per se dui, but for most of the "dinosaurs" life, that level was legal. Prior to 2000 the majority of states did not consider below .10 as a DUI.

But lets talk about meathead analytics. 

It was also published that while he tested at 0.095 hours after the fact, scientifically he was in the .13 to .14 range when he was actually arrested,  and who knows what he was when he started driving.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is nothing to lose sleep over as it was inevitable he was coming back.  Just need Hahn to amass enough talent to overcome La Russa’s poor decision-making.  Hopefully he does better this offseason than at the trade deadline.

Don’t hold your breadth.

2 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Who is acting like they've never done something stupid? I don't manage a Major League Baseball team, so the stupid things I may or may not have done are immaterial to this discussion. Whether you like it or not, with increased responsibility, comes increased accountability. When you're in a leadership position, standards are, and should be, much higher. The fact that TLR has been arrested twice for DUI is pretty telling(here's where analytics comes in). This speaks to a pattern of poor judgement. It points to a pattern of stubbornness, and not learning from your mistakes(especially when you state IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN). These are not attributes I want in the guy managing my favorite baseball team.

Then get mad at JR but TLR has been the whipping boy at historic levels on this site. Id rather discuss legitimate arguments like why Astros can win with Dusty who isn't some genius.

TLR is just a minor part of a larger problem.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

It was also published that while he tested at 0.095 hours after the fact, scientifically he was in the .13 to .14 range when he was actually arrested,  and who knows what he was when he started driving.

Im sure that is possible. But I believe that is not 100% reliable. It's really stupid, but JR kept him.  If anyone is to blame its him.  If TLR has a legitimate problem its JRs fault for not doing anything.

To me it's just sad. Alcohol can really ruin people.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Then get mad at JR but TLR has been the whipping boy at historic levels on this site. Id rather discuss legitimate arguments like why Astros can win with Dusty who isn't some genius.

Im sure that is possible. But I believe that is not 100% reliable. It's really stupid, but JR kept him.  If anyone is to blame its him.  If TLR has a legitimate problem its JRs fault for not doing anything.

I think my opinion of Sox leadership from the top down has been made pretty clear here. I despise JR and his stupid "old boy's club". It's one of the biggest reasons the White Sox have been the laughingstock of the AL for as long as they have been.  I'd love for JR to sell the fucking team, and have a new owner clean house. Unfortunately, our best hope at this point is the old may dying, and one of his relatives actually running the organization in a competitive manner. He will NEVER sell. The same way the McCaskey's will NEVER sell.

They're the Chicago Bears of the MLB, and it's a huge reason my fandom for both teams has really, really dropped off as I've gotten older. 

Here's to the Blackhawks. 🍷

Edited by Paulie4Pres
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, FoxForce2 said:

The Sox organization seems to take a perverse pride in shooting themselves in the foot regarding anything resembling modern baseball play.

One of the reasons the Sox are where they are on this list.

Last season team reached LCS:

• 30. Pittsburgh (1992)
  • 29. Cincinnati (1995)
  • 28. San Diego (1998)
  • 27. Seattle (2001)
  • 26. Minnesota (2002)
  • 25. Miami (2003)
  • 24. Chicago AL (2005)
14 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

You do realize that BAC has nothing to do with analytics or statistics, right?

But, here's a statistic for you. Tony La Russa has been arrested twice for DUI. In 100% of those instances, he was over the legal limit. In 100% of those instances, he was displaying driving behavior that would lead one to believe he was driving drunk. In 100% of those instances, the police arrested him for it. In 100% of those instances, he was guilty.

And in both instances he was let off with a rest slap. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paulie4Pres said:

I think my opinion of Sox leadership from the top down has been made pretty clear here. I despise JR and his stupid "old boy's club". It's one of the biggest reasons the White Sox have been the laughingstock of the AL for as long as they have been.  I'd love for JR to sell the fucking team, and have a new owner clean house. Unfortunately, our best hope at this point is the old may dying, and one of his relatives actually running the organization in a competitive manner.

They're the Chicago Bears of the MLB, and it's a huge reason my fandom for both teams has really, really dropped off as I've gotten older. 

JR believes in loyalty hate it or love it. Maybe analytics will say loyalty has no place in winning. But Im not sure I would want to be a part of that world.

JR is as good as the people he trusts. I wish they went younger and thought outside the box more. 

Whoever you think is the best manager likely wouldn't have beat Houston because the Sox were weaker on talent. That needs to be the focus how can Hahn be better.

9 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

I think my opinion of Sox leadership from the top down has been made pretty clear here. I despise JR and his stupid "old boy's club". It's one of the biggest reasons the White Sox have been the laughingstock of the AL for as long as they have been.  I'd love for JR to sell the fucking team, and have a new owner clean house. Unfortunately, our best hope at this point is the old may dying, and one of his relatives actually running the organization in a competitive manner. He will NEVER sell. The same way the McCaskey's will NEVER sell.

Here's to the Blackhawks. 🍷

We have to hope that one of JR heirs turns out to be another Rocky Wirtz,

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Yeah, poor Tony, he's really suffered immense consequences for alcohol and his decision making 

27 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Especially when it leads to killing innocent drivers on the road. 

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, poor Tony, he's really suffered immense consequences for alcohol and his decision making 

Poor anyone who has had a life impacted by addiction or disease.

Everyone has problems, maybe I'm a bad person because I'd rather see people get help and succeed than be buried by past mistakes.

/shrugs 

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

Especially when it leads to killing innocent drivers on the road. 

Agree its horrific. I just dont know the best way to deal with it. Ive always found criminalizing addict behavior is not helpful. But at the same time drunk driving could hurt someone else. Its a tricky one because does jail really help an addict or does it make them worse? Should we be punishing or rehabiliting?

Those are way above my pay grade, but I just see some hypocrisy. People mention Blackhawks as good, but didn't they have an employee sexually harassed? 

I just dont know, but today at least I just got tiring reading the same old attacks.