Nitengale: La Russa "definitely" returning to the Sox

Buehrle>Wood

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

There is a large difference between Eloy and Robert and Vaughn, Burger, Sheets, Collins, etc. 

The difference isn't just talent. It's money. Eloy and Robery and locked into long-term, somewhat expensive deals. The others are not. 

Here is what the Sox are going to need to decide, and quickly. How long do they truly envision their "window" being open? They need to be very honest with themselves. They know they don't have an owner that is going to support a long term payroll of 200 million+, and if they want to keep this entire core together, it's going to cost that much to accomplish. If they really believe they can make the playoffs with the current payroll restraints year after year, you need to hang onto those young players as they will play a very key role in staying within the payroll limits imposed. 

If they decide the window is closer to 2-3 more years....then trading some cost-controlled players like Vaughn actually makes some sense. Make the roster as good as you can until 2024, because at that point Grandal-Abreu-Lynn-Giolito will all be FA's. I'm not saying that's what they should do or that's what will happen, but if you've made the determination that this is the group and once that group hits FA it's over.....then trade anyone with cost-controlled value that will help you NOW, win as much as you can the next 2-3 seasons, and then start it all over again (with a few key pieces to either help start the rebuild over in Robert and Eloy) or build around those guys moving forward. 

That all sounds good, but do you really have confidence that Hahn (and KW) can make the great decisions on these sure-fire big-name acquisitions that will put us over the top.  I'm not trying to be negative here, but it seems that the ones that they do better on have been the prospects acquired by trade or the Cuban signings.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ron883 said:

=O a threat to become a Cubs fan? Ballsy!

I know you're highlighting this because you want one of us to dig up your post about how you were going to become a Cubs fan after TLR got hired.

You truly have mastered the art of trolling, Eduardo.

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Something we have never heard about the White Sox...like ever.

"All of our success has been driven by players exceeding expectations and that's a tribute to their work, and the staff, and the infrastructure that we've built to support them.” That’s Giants president of baseball operations Farhan Zaidi, who took over after the 2018 season and has built a deeper, more modern team while staying — at times confoundingly — invested in the same core that formed the backbone of a dynasty almost a decade ago.....If you pull the individual threads that constitute the tapestry of their success this season, many lead back to Zaidi’s ability to identify overlooked talent. Arming those players with the information to maximize their largely untapped potential has led to breakouts for Wade, Darin Ruf, Kevin Gausman and Webb, among others.

“I feel like sometimes guys are kind of taught the same thing. But really, every guy's different and they do a really good job of telling guys, ‘You're really good at this, do that,’” says Webb, who has leaned into his sinker to get more ground balls this season. “There’s so many different numbers now.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/how-the-san-francisco-giants-took-a-familiar-roster-and-unearthed-the-best-team-in-baseball-122426831.html

Damn -- that's the kind of thinking that could get a team to the League Divisional Series...

39 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Damn -- that's the kind of thinking that could get a team to the League Divisional Series...

29 teams would take Zaidi as the GM or President over KW and RH. About the same ratio as teams (29 against, 1 for) who would ever even be remotely interested in TLR.

The lone White Sox coach or manager worth a damn came from Zaidi's organization.

1 hour ago, soxtalker999 said:

That all sounds good, but do you really have confidence that Hahn (and KW) can make the great decisions on these sure-fire big-name acquisitions that will put us over the top.  I'm not trying to be negative here, but it seems that the ones that they do better on have been the prospects acquired by trade or the Cuban signings.

In that specific case, it kind of doesn't matter what I think. (It really doesn't matter what any of us think, ever lol) but those are the two options, as I see them, for any GM/President that would be running this team. 

They are sort of at a fork in the road. They can't be totally complacent, and I think they know that. So then it's deciding which route you take. The short-term "Go Big or Go Home" approach, or the "We need to think more long-term" approach. 

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

We all just have to accept that Tony will be here until he either blows a lot of the window or doesn't want to be anymore. Jerry gonna do whatever he wants, it's his toy. 

No use getting upset about it, just hope they can overcome Tony's buffoonery. 

I thought Ron was kidding...welcome back Jack 

1 hour ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

And when the Dodgers win the World Series again...will you retract that?  Especially considering the disparity in payroll between the two teams, 107 wins in that division and it coming down to one hit in the final innings, along with a non-call.

If the White Sox were in the NL West or AL East, we'd have little to no chance of winning a division title.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

We all just have to accept that Tony will be here until he either blows a lot of the window or doesn't want to be anymore. Jerry gonna do whatever he wants, it's his toy. 

No use getting upset about it, just hope they can overcome Tony's buffoonery. 

Sad but true.

24 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Caulfield only made one reference in a post?  This day is nuts.

By the way, are we supposed to root for the Astros to win it all now to make the Sox look better, or for Sale despite being on the Red Sox but coming off an injury?  Challenging to find anything compelling to root for now, Just tepidly for ATL I guess.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

By the way, are we supposed to root for the Astros to win it all now to make the Sox look better, or for Sale despite being on the Red Sox but coming off an injury?  Challenging to find anything compelling to root for now, Just tepidly for ATL I guess.

I am rooting for the other Sox.  Will not root for the Astros

13 hours ago, GradMc said:

Kopech and Crochet are not relievers. They are starters. I'm not sure Kopech would have fared any better. He needs to add some more pitches. They were teeing off on his fast balls. But that's mentality of senior management...homers and strikeouts...all or nothing all.

And they got nothing.

Homers or strikeouts or double plays.  No running game whatsoever.  Pure station to station baseball. No homers normally no wins.  We need to adjust that strategy next season.  My concern is that TLR hardly ever adjusts.  He is set in his ways.  It is a shame.

2 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Homers or strikeouts or double plays.  No running game whatsoever.  Pure station to station baseball. No homers normally no wins.  We need to adjust that strategy next season.  My concern is that TLR hardly ever adjusts.  He is set in his ways.  It is a shame.

Does anyone know how to find the records of the entire league in games where no home run is hit? We see that stat for the Sox yearly but I have no context for it. I’m imagining many teams have that same issue of specifically losing on days where they ball stays in the ballpark.

2 hours ago, Tony said:

There is a large difference between Eloy and Robert and Vaughn, Burger, Sheets, Collins, etc. 

The difference isn't just talent. It's money. Eloy and Robery and locked into long-term, somewhat expensive deals. The others are not. 

Here is what the Sox are going to need to decide, and quickly. How long do they truly envision their "window" being open? They need to be very honest with themselves. They know they don't have an owner that is going to support a long term payroll of 200 million+, and if they want to keep this entire core together, it's going to cost that much to accomplish. If they really believe they can make the playoffs with the current payroll restraints year after year, you need to hang onto those young players as they will play a very key role in staying within the payroll limits imposed. 

If they decide the window is closer to 2-3 more years....then trading some cost-controlled players like Vaughn actually makes some sense. Make the roster as good as you can until 2024, because at that point Grandal-Abreu-Lynn-Giolito will all be FA's. I'm not saying that's what they should do or that's what will happen, but if you've made the determination that this is the group and once that group hits FA it's over.....then trade anyone with cost-controlled value that will help you NOW, win as much as you can the next 2-3 seasons, and then start it all over again (with a few key pieces to either help start the rebuild over in Robert and Eloy) or build around those guys moving forward. 

I am trying to say our young high draft picks need to be developed for our use not used as trade chips for aging former stars.