NLCS Dodgers/Braves

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Why do the Braves need to bring racism into baseball? Some of us would like to just enjoy the games.

Did you enjoy watching the Braves in the 90's before you became woke and you decided that the Braves symbol was racist and so was the tomahawk chop?  I guess you woke up when everyone else did . I know my position is a losing one because I am not acting like the woke people who must invade people's enjoyment of a simple game with how hip they have become.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Let's be real, while you may have been watching to enjoy the game, you LOVE looking for reasons to be upset. 

On 10/18/2021 at 9:03 PM, ron883 said:

Jose is still a productive player. He had a solid year and is a leader. However, he will be turning 35 next year and it is his last year under contract. A dropoff in production wouldn't be surprising at his age. It is widely assumed that he will be a White Sox for life. 

If we see a dropoff in production, do the Sox keep him regardless, ala Paul Konerko? 1B/DH is out biggest log jam. It would be a shame if the Sox simply rolled with Jose despite having better options, if his production indeed drops off. Do you think the Sox would do the smart thing and relegate him to a bench/pinch hitter if his production falls off? Would he accept it? I'm honestly worried that the Sox will roll with him as the starer regardless of if there are better options, because Jerry Reinsdorf. 

On 6/1/2021 at 10:00 PM, ron883 said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/jose-abreu/15676/stats#win-probability

Per Fangraphs clutch stat, Jose is -2.11 over his career. The stat measures how good a player is in high leverage situations. See below for more on the stat. 

https://library.fangraphs.com/misc/clutch/

Over an entire season, -2.0 would be "Awful", while +2.0 would be "Great". I've always said it, but Jose crumbles under pressure and in the cold. Is anybody else concerned about him in the playoffs when it will certainly be colder?

On 6/20/2021 at 2:24 PM, ron883 said:

Beautiful friend, the end...

Jose with the lowest OPS of his career. Chw42 posted a very interesting stat yesterday. 

Jose vs. fastballs over 95 MPH this year: .158 BA and .237 SLG. 

Jose vs. fastballs over 95 MPH last year: .371 BA and .857 SLG.

Jose vs. fastballs over 95 MPH in 2019: .348 BA and .623 SLG. 

Jose's bat just seems noticeably slower this year. He absolutely can't catch up to fastballs 95+ this year. The Sox really need his bat if they want to compete this year. It's very concerning. 

On 4/8/2021 at 11:37 PM, ron883 said:

Sooo, it appears that Yermin is legitimate. "But Ron, it's too early to declare Yermin legitimate." Wrong. I've been on the Yermin bandwagon as long as anybody. I was one of the first to identify his talents. He is here to stay. He has a great approach, he shortens his swing with 2 strikes but still crushes the ball, and he has a fast bat. The dude is going to stay. 

When Eloy comes back, there will be a bit if a logjam. Assuming Eloy is back next year, what do the Sox do? Abreu will be under contract for another year, and likely will get resigned. Do the Sox use Vaughn as a trade chip? They could attempt to trot out Eloy-Robert-Vaughn in the OF. The lineup would be absolutely ridiculous, but the defense would suffer. Imagine this lineup though...

Timmy

Moncada

Abreu

Eloy

Vaughn

Yermin

Grandal/Collins

Robert

Madrigal

Obviously you can change it around. Very right handed heavy, but lefties would get absolutely demolished. Maybe the Sox flip Vaughn I'm a trade for a lefty OF or pitcher? Who knows. Ideas?

On 2/10/2021 at 10:40 PM, ron883 said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/02/which-players-will-have-the-largest-change-in-performance-in-2021.html

These numbers are based on the extrapolation of last year's data over an entire season. 

loss.png

Very interesting stuff. Hope it doesn't happen, but I wouldn't be entirely surprised. 

On 10/31/2019 at 12:11 AM, ron883 said:

Gurriel made multiple picks that Jose Abreu misses, 100%. The White Sox want to start contending next year. There is absolutely no reason to play a horrible fielder at 1st base when you can DH him. Having a guy who can't make a pick to save his life is demoralizing for the pitchers and infielders.

Sox need to say screw it to the loyalty BS and stick Jose's ass in the DH spot. Ideally he goes to DH next season. If he is still the 1st baseman after next season, then we have HUGE issues. 

On 7/15/2014 at 10:42 PM, ron883 said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Abreu_%28baseball%29

Is it official? i hate this nickname. I don't even understand how hawk came up with this one.

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Did you enjoy watching the Braves in the 90's before you became woke and you decided that the Braves symbol was racist and so was the tomahawk chop?  I guess you woke up when everyone else did . I know my position is a losing one because I am not acting like the woke people who must invade people's enjoyment of a simple game with how hip they have become.

Recognizing racism isn't becoming woke.  I enjoyed those games (I was 12-22) in the 90s and when I realized what was going on it definitely changed my enjoyment of those games and I wasn't a fan of it.  At some point a lot of bigoted pejoratives changed from regular conversational words to words that should not be spoken due to their meaning to a race.  If you want to push back on ageism so much then maybe you should sit this one out .

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

20 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Recognizing racism isn't becoming woke.  I enjoyed those games (I was 12-22) in the 90s and when I realized what was going on it definitely changed my enjoyment of those games and I wasn't a fan of it.  At some point a lot of bigoted pejoratives changed from regular conversational words to words that should not be spoken due to their meaning to a race.  If you want to push back on ageism so much then maybe you should sit this one out .

As an admin aren't politics supposed to be in another forum like Slam and supposed to be kept out of gamethreads . If anyone wants to go there and do it or go to a braves playoff game and hold up a sign that says " if you do the tomahawk chop you are a racist" I will applaud your efforts.

My pushback on ageism was because of ageist comments made by individuals here. Watching a baseball game and starting the NLCS thread was not racist. Surely you can see the difference. I did nothing to provoke the politics in the thread.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Why do the Braves need to bring racism into baseball? Some of us would like to just enjoy the games.

He is the same Karen who gets triggered and whines across pages of threads about the gross offense of reading "OK Boomer". Another troll called "Boomer" the equivalent of "The N-Word". 

These cowards who do the "chop" are upset they can't call Blacks what they did without getting their ass kicked and jobs taken away, so they settle for disparaging Native Americans. it's pathetic, embarrassing to baseball fans, and needs to end yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

As an admin aren't politics and recognizing racism supposed to be in another forum like Slam and supposed to be kept out of gamethreads . If anyone wants to go there and do it or go to a braves playoff game and hold up a sign that says " if you do the tomahawk chop you are a racist" I will applaud your efforts.

My pushback on ageism was because of ageist comments made by individuals here. Watching a baseball game and starting the NLCS thread was not racist. Surely you can see the difference.

You are all over the place.  Surely one who complains about an over generalized and bigoted descriptor of an age group can recognize when someone else points out that another over generalized and bigoted action is fucked up without complaining about being woke.  

and to your first point, that's straight up garbage I am responding to you.  I didn't make this thread and I didn't bring this talk into it, nor did I say some stupid shit like "you didnt have a problem with it in the 90s did you?"

you were right about your position on this though, that's for sure

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Weren't you JUST the one who was all over ageism due to a commonly misunderstood phrase?  And now this?  Funny how that works.

14 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Really? What’s it called, “Can’t catch a break?” 

Might as well turn it into an SPAC and the value will shoot into the billions, especially if they can branch out into football helmets...

Buehler's luck just ran out.

Former Sox killer Eddie Rosario.

Still would probably take him over Carson Fulmer, lol.