MLB to pay for MiLB housing

southsider2k5

Most Minor Leaguers make less than $15,000 per year and won't receive their next paycheck until April," Marino said. "For the next six months, they will spend hours each day training -- as required by contract -- while trying to balance second and third jobs to make ends meet. Like housing six players in a two-bedroom apartment, this is a broken model from a bygone era. Minor leaguers will not rest until they receive the livable annual salary they deserve."

Minor league players were exempted from federal minimum-wage and overtime rules after the Save America's Pastime Act, a House bill that failed amid widespread criticism in 2016 but was written into law nearly 2,000 pages into a 2018 omnibus spending bill. A class-action lawsuit filed by players alleging they were underpaid and not provided overtime remains in the court system after the United States Supreme Court denied MLB's attempt to dismiss the case.

You would think that it would always have been in Managements best interests to make sure at the very least their investments had basic housing.   You would think. 

thank you for doing the bare minimum, MLB.  I look forward to finding out later that you fucked this up too 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

the players union doesnt care about minor leaguers 

You might be right.  If they did care, they would have said something about it in previous CB negotiations.  Thing is, it would have been so easy and not very expensive for MLB to solve the problem years ago when real estate was cheap in most minor league towns.

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

If I read the previous information correctly, we are talking about something like a million dollars to do this.  This isn't real money here.

Indeed, MLB spent more money paying off lobbyists and Congress to pass the "Save America's Pastime Act" in 2018 which enabled owners to pay less than minimum wage to Minor League Players. After Owners and Congress "saved America's Pastime", they went on to shit can over 1/4 of minor league employees and communities.

https://apnews.com/article/minor-league-baseball-lawsuits-ap-top-news-government-spending-laws-cb183f59e88948e8b9cd49ad07bde807

Edited by South Side Hit Men

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/20/2021 at 4:39 PM, Kyyle23 said:

You would think that it would always have been in Managements best interests to make sure at the very least their investments had basic housing.   You would think. 

thank you for doing the bare minimum, MLB.  I look forward to finding out later that you fucked this up too 

and proper nutrition as well

If I were teams, I'd build dorms in all of my minor league cities that included enough housing for players and a cafeteria on the ground floor.  I'd double the rooms and offer opposing teams a secured place to stay at a cost to recapture some of my investment.

This really would give you the opportunity to offer all sorts of life improving things to players, like ESL classes for foreigners and counseling.  Maybe even have a families floor for married players that provided daycare so a wife could work.

If everything goes badly, you could always convert them to apartments.