Offseason predictions thread

CentralChamps21

Make your offseason predictions here:

1) When will the 2022 season start: As scheduled (March 31), 1-30 days late, 31-60 days late, 61-90 days late, > 90 days late, not at all

Will the following players be in the Sox organization on opening day 2022 (whenever that is) Yes or No

2) Garrett Crochet

3) Dallas Keuchel

4) Craig Kimbrel

5) Carlos Rodon

6) Ryan Tepera

7) Jake Burger

8 ) Cesar Hernandez

9) Gavin Sheets

10) Leury Garcia

11) Eloy Jimenez

12) Andrew Vaughn

13) Yan Gomes

14) Eduardo Escobar

15) Marcus Semien

16) Kris Bryant

17) Nick Castellanos

18) Joc Pederson

19) Other (specify)

1) When will the 2022 season start: 1-30 days late

Will the following players be in the Sox organization on opening day 2022 (whenever that is) Yes or No

2) Garrett Crochet yes

3) Dallas Keuchel yes

4) Craig Kimbrel no

5) Carlos Rodon no

6) Ryan Tepera yes

7) Jake Burger no

8 ) Cesar Hernandez no

9) Gavin Sheets yes

10) Leury Garcia yes

11) Eloy Jimenez yes

12) Andrew Vaughn yes

13) Yan Gomes no

14) Eduardo Escobar yes

15) Marcus Semien no

16) Kris Bryant no

17) Nick Castellanos no

18) Joc Pederson no

19) Other (specify) Conforto (I hope)

Could easily see them signing Peterson and platooning him with Engel though. I think Gomes will be a starting catcher somewhere (maybe sign Chirinos like bmags suggested earlier), and only see Hernandez coming back if they re-sign him for cheaper than his option after they fail to add a 2B.

1 hour ago, manbearpuig said:

1) When will the 2022 season start: 1-30 days late

2) Garrett Crochet yes

3) Dallas Keuchel yes

4) Craig Kimbrel no

5) Carlos Rodon no

6) Ryan Tepera yes

7) Jake Burger no

8 ) Cesar Hernandez no

9) Gavin Sheets yes

10) Leury Garcia yes

11) Eloy Jimenez yes

12) Andrew Vaughn yes

13) Yan Gomes no

14) Eduardo Escobar yes

15) Marcus Semien no

16) Kris Bryant no

17) Nick Castellanos no

18) Joc Pederson no

19) Other (specify) Conforto (I hope)

Could easily see them signing Peterson and platooning him with Engel though. I think Gomes will be a starting catcher somewhere (maybe sign Chirinos like bmags suggested earlier), and only see Hernandez coming back if they re-sign him for cheaper than his option after they fail to add a 2B.

I think you nailed it.  On same boat on Conforto.  Conforto should be priority #1.  With him, Escobar is a fine addition at 2B.  Those two make this lineup much, much more balanced without the goofball scenarios of selling low on Eloy and/or Vaughn. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

1) When will the 2022 season start: As scheduled (March 31), 1-30 days late, 31-60 days late, 61-90 days late, > 90 days late, not at all 1-30 days late

2) Garrett Crochet yes

3) Dallas Keuchel no

4) Craig Kimbrel no

5) Carlos Rodon yes

6) Ryan Tepera yes 

7) Jake Burger no

8 ) Cesar Hernandez yes

9) Gavin Sheets yes

10) Leury Garcia yes 

11) Eloy Jimenez yes

12) Andrew Vaughn yes

13) Yan Gomes maybe, a second catcher will be I'm going Jonah Heim in a trade

14) Eduardo Escobar no (Jose Ramirez as a FA next year)

15) Marcus Semien no

16) Kris Bryant no

17) Nick Castellanos no

18) Joc Pederson no 

19) Other (specify) Heim & Barlow from Texas

There are few things I have in my mind that make me hopeful for a big spending post season.

1.  Last year they seemingly went cheap and hoped that hiring Tony would be the difference.  That isn't going to work.  With some teams working towards almost super teams NBA style, the gap between playoff teams and championship teams is bigger than it has probably ever been before.  If we really want to make a title run, it is going to take more talent, or a LOT of luck in a series.  Having seen the TLR factor completely fail, they almost have to add more talent.

2. If the rumors of significant new ownership are true, I wonder if this will also serve as a cash injection for spending.  I don't expect us to become the Dodgers, but does this push us towards another big contract?  It is my complete guess that if someone is buying up a significant share of the Sox now, this is serving as a starting point for acquiring the team from the Reinsdorf coalition at some point, most likely after Jerry's death.  They may well want to start the impact of that ownership early, by pushing this organizations valuation up by winning big.

3. The people up top aren't stupid.  They know that Cleveland, KC, Minnesota are all in transitional stages, and that soon enough they will be closing the gap back up.  They also know the contract situations that we have with it being time for some of the "older" players to start seeing their contracts come up.  If they don't capitalize soon, the window will close on their fingers.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

There are few things I have in my mind that make me hopeful for a big spending post season.

1.  Last year they seemingly went cheap and hoped that hiring Tony would be the difference.  That isn't going to work.  With some teams working towards almost super teams NBA style, the gap between playoff teams and championship teams is bigger than it has probably ever been before.  If we really want to make a title run, it is going to take more talent, or a LOT of luck in a series.  Having seen the TLR factor completely fail, they almost have to add more talent.

2. If the rumors of significant new ownership are true, I wonder if this will also serve as a cash injection for spending.  I don't expect us to become the Dodgers, but does this push us towards another big contract?  It is my complete guess that if someone is buying up a significant share of the Sox now, this is serving as a starting point for acquiring the team from the Reinsdorf coalition at some point, most likely after Jerry's death.  They may well want to start the impact of that ownership early, by pushing this organizations valuation up by winning big.

3. The people up top aren't stupid.  They know that Cleveland, KC, Minnesota are all in transitional stages, and that soon enough they will be closing the gap back up.  They also know the contract situations that we have with it being time for some of the "older" players to start seeing their contracts come up.  If they don't capitalize soon, the window will close on their fingers.

LOL.

I think the biggest question to me is what the long-term plan is for 2B.  Do the Sox view Jose Rodriguez as the heir apparent and target a short-term stopgap?  If not, seems like he’s a guy you move right now to help the major league team.  As much as I’d love to add someone like Semien, just seems like he’ll be too much money.  Therefore, you’re either looking at B/C tier free agents like Escobar or trading for a controllable guy.  The only option would be trading Keuchel and taking on an overpaid 2B.  Not sure who is out there that fits the billing, but 2B seems like the biggest wild card spot heading into the offseason.

6 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

1) When will the 2022 season start: As scheduled (March 31), 1-30 days late, 31-60 days late, 61-90 days late, > 90 days late, not at all

Not at all.

2) Garrett Crochet

No

3) Dallas Keuchel

No

4) Craig Kimbrel

No

5) Carlos Rodon

No

6) Ryan Tepera

No

7) Jake Burger

No

8 ) Cesar Hernandez

No

9) Gavin Sheets

No

10) Leury Garcia

No

11) Eloy Jimenez

No

12) Andrew Vaughn

No

13) Yan Gomes

No

14) Eduardo Escobar

No

15) Marcus Semien

No

16) Kris Bryant

No

17) Nick Castellanos

No

18) Joc Pederson

No

19) Other (specify)

In a historic occurrence in an effort to continue playing baseball during a work shortage, Jerry will sign the following in order to play 2022 baseball:

@Chisoxfn @CaliSoxFanViaSWside @Balta1701 @fathom @southsider2k5 @greg775 @JoeCredeYes @Greg Hibbard @queerty

The following will be denied from a roster spot:

@hi8is @ron883 @Tony @Jack Parkman

The GM will be @WBWSF or whoever that lovely fan is that writes Jerry petitioning for an interview all the time.

As such, expect the 2022 White Sox to win exactly 0 games. This is exactly how next year will go down.

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

30 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I agree with the general sentiment and cautious optimism about spending.  But re #1, I have to note that four of the top five payroll teams are already long out of the picture, and the fifth -- the #1 payroll team -- is down 2-0 in its series (though admittedly may still be the odds-on favorite to win it all).  Thankfully I still don't think you can easily and predictably buy a title in MLB (thank god, because the White Sox will never have the resources to do so).

I predict we open the pocket book (hopefully)

1. My prediction is Rodon rejects the QO and we sign Clayton Kershaw to a 2 year deal.

2.  We trade Gavin Sheets/Jake Burger and Kimbrel in a deal together for Jeff McNeil.

3. We sign Michael Conforto to a 3 year deal with an opt out at year 2.

4. Resign Tepera

5. We dump Keuchel for straight salary relief with a team picking up 8 million of his 20 million.

6. Sign some cheap defensive minded backstop.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

Trading Madrigal was an epic failure by Hahn. It was myopic and short sighted. Madrigal would have become the Nellie Fox of the modern White Sox era. Nicky two strikes was an on base producer and a perfect fit at either the 2 or 9 spot in the batting order. He was more than adequate playing at second base. Basically, the White Sox gave away both Madrigal and Heuer without any value exchanged by the Cubs.

For 2022 the White Sox should trade Eloy and/or Moncada for quality starting pitchers. Forget signing Rodon and trade Keuchel to a second tier team in exchange for a young and proven but potential starting pitcher or double AA outfield prospect. Play Vaughn regularly in left field and Engel as the starting right fielder. Roberts, of course, stays in center field. Sheets will be the primary DH and play some games at both first base and right field. Bolger takes over at third base. Trade Cease to the Cubs in exchange for Madrigal's return to the South Side. Garcia becomes the super sub relieving TA, Madrigal, and Bolger in the infield. Jose remains at first base. Trade Grandal to the Mets for the return of McCann to be the number one catcher in 2022 with Collins as the backup. Arrange Gio, Lynn, Kopech, Crocket and the pitcher obtained in the trade of Eloy and/or Moncada as the starting rotation. Tepera, Bummer, and Liam handle the 7th, 8th, and 9th innings closeout roles. Foster, Marshall, Rios, and Cordera pitch in the early relief innings.

With the above roster adjustments, the White Sox need to respect the fundamentals of baseball: hitting, catching and throwing the ball. Be selective at the plate, reduce fielding errors, and hit the cutoff man.

• Haha 3
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, coldwatersox said:

Madrigal would have become the Nellie Fox of the modern White Sox era.

I liked Nick too...but what in his injury-ridden seasons (that don't add up to one full season) makes you think he destined to be 15x all-star, multi-Gold Glove winner and a future Hall of Famer?

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, coldwatersox said:

Trading Madrigal was an epic failure by Hahn. It was myopic and short sighted. Madrigal would have become the Nellie Fox of the modern White Sox era. Nicky two strikes was an on base producer and a perfect fit at either the 2 or 9 spot in the batting order. He was more than adequate playing at second base. Basically, the White Sox gave away both Madrigal and Heuer without any value exchanged by the Cubs.

For 2022 the White Sox should trade Eloy and/or Moncada for quality starting pitchers. Forget signing Rodon and trade Keuchel to a second tier team in exchange for a young and proven but potential starting pitcher or double AA outfield prospect. Play Vaughn regularly in left field and Engel as the starting right fielder. Roberts, of course, stays in center field. Sheets will be the primary DH and play some games at both first base and right field. Bolger takes over at third base. Trade Cease to the Cubs in exchange for Madrigal's return to the South Side. Garcia becomes the super sub relieving TA, Madrigal, and Bolger in the infield. Jose remains at first base. Trade Grandal to the Mets for the return of McCann to be the number one catcher in 2022 with Collins as the backup. Arrange Gio, Lynn, Kopech, Crocket and the pitcher obtained in the trade of Eloy and/or Moncada as the starting rotation. Tepera, Bummer, and Liam handle the 7th, 8th, and 9th innings closeout roles. Foster, Marshall, Rios, and Cordera pitch in the early relief innings.

With the above roster adjustments, the White Sox need to respect the fundamentals of baseball: hitting, catching and throwing the ball. Be selective at the plate, reduce fielding errors, and hit the cutoff man.

Welcome to Soxtalk!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, coldwatersox said:

Cocaine is a helluva drug. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, coldwatersox said:

After his rookie year Nellie Fox never played less than 130 games until his final season at the age of 37.  In his first two seasons Nick Madrigal is averaging about 1/3 of his teams game played.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, coldwatersox said:

Trading Madrigal was an epic failure by Hahn. It was myopic and short sighted. 

For 2022 the White Sox should trade Eloy and/or Moncada for quality starting pitchers. 

Agreed that it was dumb to make Kimbrel the keystone to the TDL. I also agree that trading away a ~2-ish fWAR 2B at the league minimum was stoopid.

But I disagree that Madrigal could/would become a HOF baseball person.

I wouldn't mind trading Moncada, IF they had some idea that Burger could become a 2-3 WAR 3B, AND that they could score a major return for him. I just doubt that these imbeciles could pull off such a trade, or that Burger wouldn't go back to shoving Domino's Pizza down his hole.