Offseason predictions thread

CentralChamps21

56 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

After his rookie year Nellie Fox never played less than 130 games until his final season at the age of 37.  In his first two seasons Nick Madrigal is averaging about 1/3 of his teams game played.

Exactly. I like the guy and enjoyed watching him play more than I liked the replacements we needed to send out there while he was hurt. But it's a crap shoot that he'll ever play 100 games.

6 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Exactly. I like the guy and enjoyed watching him play more than I liked the replacements we needed to send out there while he was hurt. But it's a crap shoot that he'll ever play 100 games.

I dont know if Madrigal is quite THAT fragile, but his size and history are definitely against him. I think that, if healthy, his OBP skills alone could be worth 2 WAR, over ~120ish games a season; Leury gave us exactly 2.0 fWAR in 123 games.

But, his health is a question, and I also don't like that he can't play anywhere other than 2nd. His (and the rest of the starting IF's) inflexibility are why Leury continues to exist as an important piece in this roster.

If possible, I'd like Escobar to be signed here, but it sounds like Milwaukee will want him back next season.

1 minute ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I dont know if Madrigal is quite THAT fragile, but his size and history are definitely against him. I think that, if healthy, his OBP skills alone could be worth 2 WAR, over ~120ish games a season; Leury gave us exactly 2.0 fWAR in 123 games.

But, his health is a question, and I also don't like that he can't play anywhere other than 2nd. His (and the rest of the starting IF's) inflexibility are why Leury continues to exist as an important piece in this roster.

If possible, I'd like Escobar to be signed here, but it sounds like Milwaukee will want him back next season.

OK. I'll agree he might not be THAT fragile but if you were a Vegas oddsmaker where would you put the over under on the number of Nick starts in 2022? I think 100 would be an interesting point.  I think I'd take the under no matter where he is playing. 

I never liked the trade of Madrigal. Its done and over with, what  now? Maybe Hahn thought Hernandez would do well here and his 2022 option would be picked up. He didn't do well here and I would think his option won't be picked up. Wil Hahn  sign a free agent or trade for a second baseman?  All I know is the team has a big hole at second base and something has to be done about it. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

6 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I never liked the trade of Madrigal. Its done and over with, what  now? Maybe Hahn thought Hernandez would do well here and his 2022 option would be picked up. He didn't do well here and I would think his option won't be picked up. Wil Hahn  sign a free agent or trade for a second baseman?  All I know is the team has a big hole at second base and something has to be done about it. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Eduardo Escobar please.

21 minutes ago, Texsox said:

OK. I'll agree he might not be THAT fragile but if you were a Vegas oddsmaker where would you put the over under on the number of Nick starts in 2022? I think 100 would be an interesting point.  I think I'd take the under no matter where he is playing. 

I'd put it at 120.

A separated shoulder and a hamstring don't trouble me as much as the fact that he's a smaller guy in today's game playing against bigger opposition than anything Nellie faced.

These aren't recurrent injuries to the same part of his body that could/would predict recurrent visits to the DL.

5 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Eduardo Escobar please.

Why didn't they take the easy win, and just get him at the TDL? If he were here already, they could have replaced the hated Leury Garcia as the utility guy, OR used him as a starter going forward. Here's hoping that he's available this offseason. 

21 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I think that any worries about Escobar's injuries were bullshit. I think they focused on Kimbrel as being the key piece at the TDL; once it became known that Madrigal was part of the ask, they wanted a guy with control in 2022.

And thats how Latin Danny Mendick got beaten out by Leury for postseason starts at 2B, since Latin Danny Mendick has a $6MM option for 2022.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

4 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I'd put it at 120.

A separated shoulder and a hamstring don't trouble me as much as the fact that he's a smaller guy in today's game playing against bigger opposition than anything Nellie faced.

These aren't recurrent injuries to the same part of his body that could/would predict recurrent visits to the DL.

Why didn't they take the easy win, and just get him at the TDL? If he were here already, they could have replaced the hated Leury Garcia as the utility guy, OR used him as a starter going forward. Here's hoping that he's available this offseason. 

Apparently they didn’t like Escobar’s “medicals” and decided to slow down their pursuits.

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think the biggest question to me is what the long-term plan is for 2B.  Do the Sox view Jose Rodriguez as the heir apparent and target a short-term stopgap?  If not, seems like he’s a guy you move right now to help the major league team.  As much as I’d love to add someone like Semien, just seems like he’ll be too much money.  Therefore, you’re either looking at B/C tier free agents like Escobar or trading for a controllable guy.  The only option would be trading Keuchel and taking on an overpaid 2B.  Not sure who is out there that fits the billing, but 2B seems like the biggest wild card spot heading into the offseason.

Moustakis

35 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Apparently they didn’t like Escobar’s “medicals” and decided to slow down their pursuits.

Just a complete flub by Hahn during the trade deadline. I expect Pilkington to actually be a decent pitcher too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I agree with the general sentiment and cautious optimism about spending.  But re #1, I have to note that four of the top five payroll teams are already long out of the picture, and the fifth -- the #1 payroll team -- is down 2-0 in its series (though admittedly may still be the odds-on favorite to win it all).  Thankfully I still don't think you can easily and predictably buy a title in MLB (thank god, because the White Sox will never have the resources to do so).

A 1/4 of the Dodgers payroll was gone entering the playoffs between the rapist/domestic violence guy and then Kershaw's late injury. The AL is down to two of the top three AL payrolls (the Yankees being the other). Mets and Phillies money is historically stupid money, which skews things a bit as well in terms of discussing top payrolls being out of it with 4 teams left.

In terms of Sox predictions, between the CBA, Tony, Hahn, and whether Jerry will spend the same or increase (a bit or a lot), it is the year that nobody can form an educated guess, at least until there is a new CBA in place. I don't have a lot of confidence they will spend the amount needed to reach the Top 10, or even if JR does authorize a significant increase that Hahn/Tony (whoever is in charge) will spend it wisely. I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

53 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think that's bullshit. To my memory, there's no record of anyone in the FO as having said that. OTOH, when Kimbrel and Hernandez were introduced, Hahn mentioned the multi year control over both as being important. We've got Latin Danny Mendick because they just "had to" have Kimbrel/had to sell Madrigal.

1 hour ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I'd put it at 120.

So he plays his first mlb season without an injury? I'm thinking two injuries and 88 games. 

2 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I think that's bullshit. To my memory, there's no record of anyone in the FO as having said that. OTOH, when Kimbrel and Hernandez were introduced, Hahn mentioned the multi year control over both as being important. We've got Latin Danny Mendick because they just "had to" have Kimbrel/had to sell Madrigal.

Do you watch baseball? No front office is going to ever say this publicly. 

3 hours ago, ron883 said:

Just a complete flub by Hahn during the trade deadline. I expect Pilkington to actually be a decent pitcher too. 

Yeah, I really wanted Escobar, but never in a million years expected Cesar to fall off a cliff like he did despite obviously flukey power numbers.  And yes, I think Pilkington becomes a major league pitcher for Cleveland.

3 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I’m just stating what Harold has said here and Bob Nightengale also seemed to imply it IIRC.  Obviously if true that turned out to be a bad move in hindsight.

9 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I actually was thinking about a Moustakas for Keuchel type deal earlier today, but my god was Moose terrible last year.  I know he dealt with some foot injuries, but I’d probably rather gamble on a rebound from Keuchel at this point.

I don't disagree on the risk w/Moustakas...plus I think he has two years of big bucks left. I do like the Reds as a potential trade partner though. Love Winker, Gray and others. 

5 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Max Scherzer will make his next start for the Chicago White Sox. 

I could see this. He is mostly still dominant, but is kind of, sort of moving towards breaking down a bit with his age and will be a bit cheaper. Probably the kind of thing that might fit with Jerry's budget. And it might fit the window of the next 2-3 years of going for it.