Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ron883

Abreu next year and in the future

Recommended Posts

Jose is still a productive player. He had a solid year and is a leader. However, he will be turning 35 next year and it is his last year under contract. A dropoff in production wouldn't be surprising at his age. It is widely assumed that he will be a White Sox for life. 

If we see a dropoff in production, do the Sox keep him regardless, ala Paul Konerko? 1B/DH is out biggest log jam. It would be a shame if the Sox simply rolled with Jose despite having better options, if his production indeed drops off. Do you think the Sox would do the smart thing and relegate him to a bench/pinch hitter if his production falls off? Would he accept it? I'm honestly worried that the Sox will roll with him as the starer regardless of if there are better options, because Jerry Reinsdorf. 

Edited by ron883

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Jose is still a productive player. He had a solid year and is a leader. However, he will be turning 35 next year and it is his last year under contract. A dropoff in production wouldn't be surprising at his age. It is widely assumed that he will be a White Sox for life. 

If we see a dropoff in production, do the Sox keep him regardless, ala Paul Konerko? 1B/DH is out biggest log jam. It would be a shame if the Sox simply rolled with Jose despite having better options, if his production indeed drops off. Do you think the Sox would do the smart thing and relegate him to a bench/pinch hitter if his production falls off? Would he accept it? I'm honestly worried that the Sox will roll with him as the starer regardless of if there are better options, because Jerry Reinsdorf. 

If he falls off in production next year and I hate to say it but I think I would have to let him walk, we have too many other options with Vaughn, Sheets, Grandal and maybe even Burger.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Abreu (and TA) will retire here, these threads are dumb

Guys I would look at possibly moving would be Grandal (I didn't know he was this bad defensively) and possibly Eloy or Vaughn, use them to upgrade at spots like RF and SP

I'm not saying trade all 3 guys, but I would definitely look at moving one of them if the return was decent

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, joesaiditstrue said:

Abreu (and TA) will retire here, these threads are dumb

 

Yes, we should keep Abreu around just like we did with Konerko. I don't want this window to be open for too long either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, reiks12 said:

Yes, we should keep Abreu around just like we did with Konerko. I don't want this window to be open for too long either. 

Honestly this is what I worry about. Do you think the Sox would actually move on from Abreu? There's a possibility where Sheets and Vaughn are better than him next year, and an even higher possibility the following year. I guess our best hope is that Abreu agrees to be a part time player or pinch hitter if he falls off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Yes, we should keep Abreu around just like we did with Konerko. I don't want this window to be open for too long either. 

you're conflating what I want with what will happen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jose will hand over the 2022 final out World Series ball to Jerry and be rewarded with a new contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, joesaiditstrue said:

Abreu (and TA) will retire here, these threads are dumb

Guys I would look at possibly moving would be Grandal (I didn't know he was this bad defensively) and possibly Eloy or Vaughn, use them to upgrade at spots like RF and SP

I'm not saying trade all 3 guys, but I would definitely look at moving one of them if the return was decent

I know Grandal has some issues defensively but realistically how much would a replacement of similar overall performance cost either in a trade or as a FA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, black jack said:

Make him a coach in 2023.

Y’all really think he will willingly sit on the bench until his body makes him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, joesaiditstrue said:

Abreu (and TA) will retire here, these threads are dumb

Guys I would look at possibly moving would be Grandal (I didn't know he was this bad defensively) and possibly Eloy or Vaughn, use them to upgrade at spots like RF and SP

I'm not saying trade all 3 guys, but I would definitely look at moving one of them if the return was decent

They’re really going to pay Anderson $175-225 million for his age 31/32 season and beyond…?  Then you’ve really wiped out any financial flexibility remaining from 2025 onwards.  It’s going to end up like the 2006-2010 White Sox from that season onwards.

Three more years.  That’s the remaining window.

 

Nobody would trade for Grandal unless the White Sox sent money the other way, and then who would catch?  Bring McCann back?

Trading Eloy and Vaughn at 65-75 cents on the dollar is the same thing they already did with Madrigal and Heuer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the sox do let him walk, they have to handle the situation delicately. He is a big reason all the Cuban players want to play here. We should probably offer him a contract but "allow" him to seek more money elsewhere if he wants while holding a press conference thanking him for everything he is done for this organization.

I wouldn't be surprised if he still has some productive years ahead of him because of the way he keeps himself in shape. We just need to retaliate some when he is HBP and force him to take some days off when he is Moncada...I mean ouchie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

If Vaughn has a good year, I honestly think, the smart move is to let Abreu walk (unless he literally comes dirt cheap)..

You think they'll really do that though? He needs to accept an Albert Pujols role. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

3 war first baseman is the least of our problems.

He is not a problem now IMO.  I do think it's time to move him down in the batting order, however.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

3 war first baseman is the least of our problems.

Except we arguably have Vaughn, Sheets, Jimenez and Grandal that all might be better suited to that position than their given ones in 2021…maybe even Burger.  Certainly at lower salaries, except Yasmani, of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Except we arguably have Vaughn, Sheets, Jimenez and Grandal that all might be better suited to that position than their given ones in 2021…maybe even Burger.  Certainly at lower salaries, except Yasmani, of course.

Nah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Except we arguably have Vaughn, Sheets, Jimenez and Grandal that all might be better suited to that position than their given ones in 2021…maybe even Burger.  Certainly at lower salaries, except Yasmani, of course.

I haven't seen enough of Vaughn to get a good read of his 1st base defense, but I can confidently say that Abreu is easily the best defender at 1st of the rest.  I don't see the Sox cutting ties, but I do hope they work out something team friendly since I believe it is inevitable that he sticks around until he retires.  I would like to see him bat lower though if he's going to continue to be a ground ball machine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, poppysox said:

He is not a problem now IMO.  I do think it's time to move him down in the batting order, however.

Who should have hit where he hit this year?  Grandal?  Eloy?  Yoan?  Maybe in the future, but none of those guys earned it.  Right now, I'd say TA-Robert-Abreu is your best 1-2-3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, turnin' two said:

Who should have hit where he hit this year?  Grandal?  Eloy?  Yoan?  Maybe in the future, but none of those guys earned it.  Right now, I'd say TA-Robert-Abreu is your best 1-2-3.

Eloy would probably get my vote.  His final month of the season was really disappointing but I chalk it up to the long layoff.  I am probably overreacting to Abreu and the DP problem.  He has really seemly turned into a rally killer IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, turnin' two said:

Who should have hit where he hit this year?  Grandal?  Eloy?  Yoan?  Maybe in the future, but none of those guys earned it.  Right now, I'd say TA-Robert-Abreu is your best 1-2-3.

Your best 1-2-3 vs RHP is Moncada-Robert-Grandal. Your best 1-2-3 vs LHP is Anderson-Robert-Abreu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, turnin' two said:

Who should have hit where he hit this year?  Grandal?  Eloy?  Yoan?  Maybe in the future, but none of those guys earned it.  Right now, I'd say TA-Robert-Abreu is your best 1-2-3.

I think you move Moncada to 1 or 2 and put Robert at 3.  Ideally if Eloy remembers how to hit, he is your future 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×