Poll: Which fake acquisition would make you more confident in a late season run

bmags

Impact poll  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Which acquisition would make you more confident the sox would have a better postseason run next year (ALCS+)

• Marcus Semien
    • Max Scherzer

6 minutes ago, kleedawg said:

I love Simien but he would make us even more right handed. We got slidered to death in the playoffs. Give me Jose Ramirez next year though.

That's true, he does give you some more professional ABs by chasing fewer pitches than our team does on average. But he definitely feasts on FBs.

30 minutes ago, kleedawg said:

I love Simien but he would make us even more right handed. We got slidered to death in the playoffs. Give me Jose Ramirez next year though.

Interestingly Semien’s splits were actually reversed this year, he was way better against righties. Not historically true for him, but was true this year. 

He’s also 7/19 with 4 walks and only 2 Ks against McCullers career, although none of those outings were in the last 2 years.

Could couple of strong at bats against him make those different games? 

Scherzer's last outing against Houston was his first in LA this year, where he went 7 strong innings against the Astros for the win.

He pitched against Houston twice in the 2019 World Series, 5 innings and 2 ER each time. His outings weren't dominant though, he gave up 5 hits and 3 walks in his first outing (still 7 K's), and 7 hits and 4 walks in his second outing (only 3 K's and a HR allowed).  

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Interestingly Semien’s splits were actually reversed this year, he was way better against righties. Not historically true for him, but was true this year. 

He’s also 7/19 with 4 walks and only 2 Ks against McCullers career, although none of those outings were in the last 2 years.

Could couple of strong at bats against him make those different games? 

Those stats are really not meaningful in this instance. We could bat 9 really good rh hitters and win the division going away.  But in the playoffs we are going to see the best rh pitchers with the most devastating sliders. could we still beat them? maybe, but better line-up balance makes it more likely we will see success. We scored 1 run in our elimination game. A hr from Sheets a lh hitter. The Jose urena's of the world won't be pitching in the playoffs.