Offseason Trade Proposal Thread

Quin

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

How about Gregorious for Kimbrel?  Massively improves our IF defense.  Didi hasn't played much 2B, but I am sure he'd be quite good at it.  Obviously he's a better defensive SS than TA, but they're not moving TA.

Dollars are close to even.  Both FAs after 22.  Opens up a spot for Bryson Stott who had a very nice season in the minors. Gets the Phillies pen help they desperately need.  Maybe the Sox need to throw in a kicker or some $, but its worth considering.  Most of the guys on the FA market bat right handed, and a guy like Seager isn't happening.  I'd prefer Didi to Eduardo Escobar because the defense is so much better.  

Sox pretty much have to find a way to both improve lineup balance and defense, and Didi would do both of those.   

He’d be an interesting addition, but if we only have $25M or so to work with, he’d take up the bulk of our money.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Craig Kimbrel and Matthew Thompson for Gavin Lux

I don't think the Dodgers trade Lux, unless they want to sell high on him due to his postseason success. I also don't know if Kimbrel/Thompson gets it done, unless they know they can "fix" Kimbrel and want him to close over Kenley.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He’d be an interesting addition, but if we only have $25M or so to work with, he’d take up the bulk of our money.

Well it’s essentially an even swap money wise with Kimbrel. So if we exercise Kimbrel option and only have $10M to work with after that, we’re just hitting repeat on 2021.

50 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Craig Kimbrel and Matthew Thompson for Gavin Lux

That would be an awesome trade for the Sox. Such so, I don’t see how the Dodgers would be on board. Isn’t Lux going to play 2B for them next year? Seager gone and Turner back to SS. They are also losing Taylor. Don’t see this as remotely realistic, but I’d be ecstatic. 

1 hour ago, almagest said:

I don't think the Dodgers trade Lux, unless they want to sell high on him due to his postseason success. I also don't know if Kimbrel/Thompson gets it done, unless they know they can "fix" Kimbrel and want him to close over Kenley.

Jansen is probably gone next year.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

That would be an awesome trade for the Sox. Such so, I don’t see how the Dodgers would be on board. Isn’t Lux going to play 2B for them next year? Seager gone and Turner back to SS. They are also losing Taylor. Don’t see this as remotely realistic, but I’d be ecstatic. 

Maybe they think Michael Busch is almost ready? He's a top 100 prospect. Guy was pretty darn good in AA last year. Still, I doubt they'd go into the season banking on him at 2B. 

12 hours ago, kleedawg said:

Its a little bit of fools gold looking at reverse splits and stats like 32hr vs rh pitching because stats are damn lies. Here is why. There are far more rh pitchers than lhed. Many of the the rh pitchers suck or ar mediocre at best. Some, even if good don't rely on a nasty breaking pitch that breaks away from a rh hitter (fb, change-up, split  guys) so are not a particular problem. Of course all hitters are going to feats on crappy pitching and struggle against elite pitching. But the stats are boosted by the sheer vloume of subpar pitching and scarcity of elite pitching. 

But in the playoffs, all you see is elite pitching. Guys like mcullers have a distinct advantage against a rh hitting lineup. Not only is their stuff devastating, but its easy to find their release point and through more strikes and pitches that appear to be strikes and break away. If you have a line-up with more balance, Those type of pitchers are more reluctant to throw their breaking balls into a lefty and rely more on change-ups or splitters to lefties. They are more likely to make mistakes or lose command because this is their 3rd or 4th best pitch,. Then when they face a rh hitter they have to find their release point again and again. This makes it more likely they make mistakes or have command issues. Therefore, it may give you 2 or 3 more better opportunities in games were the margin of success is razor thin.

Now, getting guys like semien, duvall, marte etc would be upgrades to the team. Would probablly help us win more games and the division easier and possibly get HFA. However we would still be at significant disadvantage come playoff time. Could our talent overcome that?...Possibly. 

But I think you want the least flaws going into post season.

Being RH dominant hitting team was a significant contributing factor that cost the yankees the playoof, the whitesox in the playoffs, and may cost houston ultimately in the playoffs.

Watching DodgersBraves game 4 th game.  Adam Duvall hit a home run, sacrifice fly, and robbed Lux of a homer in CF.  Imagine if we would have traded for Duvall with the Marlins, instead of Kimbrel, with his 38 homers and 53% fly ball rate highest in the majors, playing RF on an everyday basis, instead of Goodwin, Leury, Vaughn and/or Sheets.  We need to make better trades!

42 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Watching DodgersBraves game 4 th game.  Adam Duvall hit a home run, sacrifice fly, and robbed Lux of a homer in CF.  Imagine if we would have traded for Duvall with the Marlins, instead of Kimbrel, with his 38 homers and 53% fly ball rate highest in the majors, playing RF on an everyday basis, instead of Goodwin, Leury, Vaughn and/or Sheets.  We need to make better trades!

Sox fans would say he doesn't walk enough.

I looked up his trade info, and Miami traded Duval for a journeyman catcher named Alex Jackson.  Not sure what Miami/Jeter were thinking.

• Like 2

Vaughn, Burger, Dalquist or Thompson and Adolfo for Bryan Reynolds. I know that probably doesn't get it done...but one thing that would- 

Crochet & Vaughn. 

Eloy, Robert, Reynolds is by far the best outfield in baseball in all aspects. Bryan is a switch hitter, and he is about to get expensiveish so you know Pirates will be listening. 

Eloy can move to DH or even 1st base IF Cespedes figures things out for 2023 and while losing Vaughn will suck, as long as Pito is on this team he has no place. Burger is gone since Montgomery and Kath are the future 3B / SS depth and Yoan and Anderson are locked until that happens. 

If Crochet isn't in the rotation by mid next season...what is really his value? what a mismanagement by the FO and capitalize now if you can. I hate to have to push the deal to reality with Garrett, but Reynolds solves almost every need and you go cheap on the 2nd base option then. 

Edited by EloyJenkins
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, oldsox said:

Sox fans would say he doesn't walk enough.

I looked up his trade info, and Miami traded Duval for a journeyman catcher named Alex Jackson.  Not sure what Miami/Jeter were thinking.

Probably dumping salary. Sox could have offered more for Duvall. But I am sure our FO was drooling over getting Kimbrel from the Cubs, and took their eyes off the ball of the more important need for a RF position player.

8 hours ago, hankchifan said:

Probably dumping salary. Sox could have offered more for Duvall. But I am sure our FO was drooling over getting Kimbrel from the Cubs, and took their eyes off the ball of the more important need for a RF position player.

Braves out performed the Sox FO this season, trading for Jorge Soler, Joc Pederson, Eddie Rosario and Adam Duvall.  We could have used just one of those four for our RF need.  Wished we would have traded For Rosario with Cleveland instead of Cesar.  Rosario is hitting a ton in the NLDS.

1 hour ago, hankchifan said:

Braves out performed the Sox FO this season, trading for Jorge Soler, Joc Pederson, Eddie Rosario and Adam Duvall.  We could have used just one of those four for our RF need. 

You can remove "this season" and be correct every time. Atlanta was dead in the water when they essentially lost their entire outfield. Look what a competent FO can do. I'm beyond jealous. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

You can remove "this season" and be correct every time. Atlanta was dead in the water when they essentially lost their entire outfield. Look what a competent FO can do. I'm beyond jealous. 

The Lynn and Rodon moves last offseason should get some credit.

TRADE TARGET...

Daulton Varsho Diamondbacks. 25 yr old w/5 yrs of control. Excellent defensive catcher (caught 31 games in '21 but blocked by Carson Kelly) and all around OF (all 3 positions). LH hitter with pop. Can catch or platoon w/Engel and or Jimenez/Vaughn. He'd cost plenty in trade but would be an ideal target. Maybe D-backs would do business on a package to also include Ketal Marte.