Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Quin

Offseason Trade Proposal Thread

Recommended Posts

I imagine we'll all have 1001 trade proposals this offseason: We know Kimbrel's option is almost certainly being picked up and he'll be shopped, the 1B/C/OF/DH logjam needs to be figured out, etc.

Here's a thread to put your ideas, be they realistic or insane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what teams do we think are offseason sellers? 

It may be a tough offseason to buy via trades. 

AL Buyers  (or "not sellers") in my estimation:

Yankees, Red Sox, Rays, Blue Jays
Tigers, Sox, Royals (in their own way)
Mariners, Angels

NL Buyers:
Mets, Braves, Phillies
Brewers, Cards, Reds I would say aren't "sellers"
Giants, Dodgers, Padres

And the talent on the rangers, dbacks, pirates, orioles is now atrocious. Weird year. So I guess if you are someone who thinks there could be ML player for ML player swaps, this would be the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming there is a salary floor, Keuchel + some money + prospect(s) to a rebuilding team that is beneath the floor. I have no idea what the money amount or prospect requirement will be. These are uncharted territories with the potential salary floor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yanks will swim in same waters as us apparently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I predict Yankees sign seager for ss, move Laemahieu to 2b and trade Gleyber Torres. I have been working out a 3 way trade with Phillies & Yankees that gets us torres & Nigioshioka while getting rid of kimbrel, keuchel, & burger, but don't know how realistic it is. Also, the trade makes us even more rh hitting.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, bmags said:

what teams do we think are offseason sellers? 

It may be a tough offseason to buy via trades. 

AL Buyers  (or "not sellers") in my estimation:

Yankees, Red Sox, Rays, Blue Jays
Tigers, Sox, Royals (in their own way)
Mariners, Angels

NL Buyers:
Mets, Braves, Phillies
Brewers, Cards, Reds I would say aren't "sellers"
Giants, Dodgers, Padres

And the talent on the rangers, dbacks, pirates, orioles is now atrocious. Weird year. So I guess if you are someone who thinks there could be ML player for ML player swaps, this would be the year.

I think Kimbrel goes to an NL buyer, of which the Padres (bad) and Phillies (dreadful) had the 17th and 27th ranked bullpens in baseball. Granted, the Sox had the #2 bullpen behind Tampa, so take that for what it's worth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have a specific target figured out yet, but when the White Sox want to compete and they have a system that is generally weak, they have a habit of packaging 3 guys together from their top 30 prospects to target someone who is 1 or 2 years away from free agency. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Quin said:

I think Kimbrel goes to an NL buyer, of which the Padres (bad) and Phillies (dreadful) had the 17th and 27th ranked bullpens in baseball. Granted, the Sox had the #2 bullpen behind Tampa, so take that for what it's worth.

Ohh I wasn't even thinking for sox sales.

I mean if phils would be interested in a Kimbrel for Segura swap, freeing the position to go after a top IFer like Semien while locking down the bullpen.

He has stuff that is good (high contact) but stuff that is bad (also very groundball heavy).  But their salary matches and he has 1 year left on his deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are my proposals... totally unrealistic for this franchise:

Send Mercedes/Crochet to SD for Abrams/Hosmer (we pick up money for Hosmer) Padres said they would be willing to move Abrams to get rid of Hosmer and Crochet is a great add to their bullpen and Mercedes for the inevitable NL DH. 

Send Kimbrel/Burger/Minor Leaguer to Mariners for Kyle Lewis (Burger could be a potential replacement for Seager if he leaves)

Use Hosmer to give Abreu a break and a decent lefty off the bench in the playoffs with experience

Lewis in RF full time

Abrams in at 2B

Rotate Vaughn/Eloy/Sheets/Abreu/Hosmer in at DH/LF/1B

Nice thing about Abrams is if TA get injured or is out, we have a much better replacement level player in Abrams to move to SS and have a less guy fill in at 2B. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will think more about it, but I think one guy you will see moved over the winter is Micker Adolfo.  The Sox aren't going to want to lose him for nothing to waivers in the spring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I will think more about it, but I think one guy you will see moved over the winter is Micker Adolfo.  The Sox aren't going to want to lose him for nothing to waivers in the spring.

You're probably right, but if he had any value whatsoever, he would have been used in July. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, TheCommish said:

Here are my proposals... totally unrealistic for this franchise:

Send Mercedes/Crochet to SD for Abrams/Hosmer (we pick up money for Hosmer) Padres said they would be willing to move Abrams to get rid of Hosmer and Crochet is a great add to their bullpen and Mercedes for the inevitable NL DH. 

Send Kimbrel/Burger/Minor Leaguer to Mariners for Kyle Lewis (Burger could be a potential replacement for Seager if he leaves)

Use Hosmer to give Abreu a break and a decent lefty off the bench in the playoffs with experience

Lewis in RF full time

Abrams in at 2B

Rotate Vaughn/Eloy/Sheets/Abreu/Hosmer in at DH/LF/1B

Nice thing about Abrams is if TA get injured or is out, we have a much better replacement level player in Abrams to move to SS and have a less guy fill in at 2B. 

Abrams is a good prospect but he only completed half a season at AA and then broke his leg. It was a good season, but it wasn't amazing given the league. If this prevents shoring up additional pitching I think it's a bit too all or nothing. But I get the idea.

I do wonder if you half-life Hosmers contract at what point is he fine. He goes down to $13 mill next year. I'm assuming at 6-7 million he becomes a decent possibility. But the most hilarious thing about Hosmer is his fielding metrics are horrendous now. Like maybe a team like boston goes cheaper at 1b and takes Hosmer if he was a good defensive player, and likes his LH bat in fenway, but meh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I will think more about it, but I think one guy you will see moved over the winter is Micker Adolfo.  The Sox aren't going to want to lose him for nothing to waivers in the spring.

100% good as gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I will think more about it, but I think one guy you will see moved over the winter is Micker Adolfo.  The Sox aren't going to want to lose him for nothing to waivers in the spring.

Not sure we're going to get any bites on Adolfo, unless he was part of a multi-player trade.  His build screams DH, but is numbers aren't that impressive.  if a team is interested they'd wait knowing he could end up on waivers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Not sure we're going to get any bites on Adolfo, unless he was part of a multi-player trade.  His build screams DH, but is numbers aren't that impressive.  if a team is interested they'd wait knowing he could end up on waivers.

He's got a cannon for an arm. Pretty sure he can play the corner OF at this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One player never mentioned is Adam Duvall for RF.  Maybe the Dodgers would trade him.  He has the highest fly ball rate in MLB - 53%, a major Sox need, plus 38 homers and led the NLin RBIs.  Down side is average .228, righty, and 33 yrs old.  Food for thought.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

One player never mentioned is Adam Duvall for RF.  Maybe the Dodgers would trade him.  He has the highest fly ball rate in MLB - 53%, a major Sox need, plus 38 homers and led the NLin RBIs.  Down side is average .228, righty, and 33 yrs old.  Food for thought.

Braves

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

One player never mentioned is Adam Duvall for RF.  Maybe the Dodgers would trade him.  He has the highest fly ball rate in MLB - 53%, a major Sox need, plus 38 homers and led the NLin RBIs.  Down side is average .228, righty, and 33 yrs old.  Food for thought.

32 homers against RHP this year. Also an underrated fielder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, fathom said:

32 homers against RHP this year. Also an underrated fielder.

Its a little bit of fools gold looking at reverse splits and stats like 32hr vs rh pitching because stats are damn lies. Here is why. There are far more rh pitchers than lhed. Many of the the rh pitchers suck or ar mediocre at best. Some, even if good don't rely on a nasty breaking pitch that breaks away from a rh hitter (fb, change-up, split  guys) so are not a particular problem. Of course all hitters are going to feats on crappy pitching and struggle against elite pitching. But the stats are boosted by the sheer vloume of subpar pitching and scarcity of elite pitching. 

But in the playoffs, all you see is elite pitching. Guys like mcullers have a distinct advantage against a rh hitting lineup. Not only is their stuff devastating, but its easy to find their release point and through more strikes and pitches that appear to be strikes and break away. If you have a line-up with more balance, Those type of pitchers are more reluctant to throw their breaking balls into a lefty and rely more on change-ups or splitters to lefties. They are more likely to make mistakes or lose command because this is their 3rd or 4th best pitch,. Then when they face a rh hitter they have to find their release point again and again. This makes it more likely they make mistakes or have command issues. Therefore, it may give you 2 or 3 more better opportunities in games were the margin of success is razor thin.

Now, getting guys like semien, duvall, marte etc would be upgrades to the team. Would probablly help us win more games and the division easier and possibly get HFA. However we would still be at significant disadvantage come playoff time. Could our talent overcome that?...Possibly. 

But I think you want the least flaws going into post season.

Being RH dominant hitting team was a significant contributing factor that cost the yankees the playoof, the whitesox in the playoffs, and may cost houston ultimately in the playoffs.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about Gregorious for Kimbrel?  Massively improves our IF defense.  Didi hasn't played much 2B, but I am sure he'd be quite good at it.  Obviously he's a better defensive SS than TA, but they're not moving TA.

Dollars are close to even.  Both FAs after 22.  Opens up a spot for Bryson Stott who had a very nice season in the minors. Gets the Phillies pen help they desperately need.  Maybe the Sox need to throw in a kicker or some $, but its worth considering.  Most of the guys on the FA market bat right handed, and a guy like Seager isn't happening.  I'd prefer Didi to Eduardo Escobar because the defense is so much better.  

Sox pretty much have to find a way to both improve lineup balance and defense, and Didi would do both of those.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

How about Gregorious for Kimbrel?  Massively improves our IF defense.  Didi hasn't played much 2B, but I am sure he'd be quite good at it.  Obviously he's a better defensive SS than TA, but they're not moving TA.

Dollars are close to even.  Both FAs after 22.  Opens up a spot for Bryson Stott who had a very nice season in the minors. Gets the Phillies pen help they desperately need.  Maybe the Sox need to throw in a kicker or some $, but its worth considering.  Most of the guys on the FA market bat right handed, and a guy like Seager isn't happening.  I'd prefer Didi to Eduardo Escobar because the defense is so much better.  

Sox pretty much have to find a way to both improve lineup balance and defense, and Didi would do both of those.   

Far prefer Seguar.  Didi had a horrendous 2021 with a negative WAR.  You could get more for Kimbrel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×