Would you accept Michael Reinsdorf as the new Chairman/Owner

Quin

Would you accept Michael Reinsdorf as the new Chairman/Owner  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Would you accept Michael Reinsdorf as the new Chairman/Owner

• Yes
    • No

In what is probably a complete overreaction to the post-GarPax, AKME-era Bulls overseen by Michael Reinsdorf looking promising where it seems like Reinsdorf the Younger made the correct moves to get the ball rolling and has since let the Front Office do its own thing, would you accept MR as a new Chairman post-JR?

9 minutes ago, Quin said:

In what is probably a complete overreaction to the post-GarPax, AKME-era Bulls overseen by Michael Reinsdorf looking promising where it seems like Reinsdorf the Younger made the correct moves to get the ball rolling and has since let the Front Office do its own thing, would you accept MR as a new Chairman post-JR?

Define "accept".  if the question is will I continue to attend games, spend money, and follow the team year-round? Then, yes, I will accept it.

Not that we have a lot of choice in who is next, and whether we accept it or not doesn't really matter, but I would be interested to see what happens. 

Like I said earlier with the rumor of a new minority owner, I think we seeing the groundwork for the sale of the team in the not too distant future, or at least with the passing of JR when it eventually happens.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Define "accept".  if the question is will I continue to attend games, spend money, and follow the team year-round? Then, yes, I will accept it.

Would you be cool with it or would you be pretty pissed and post about wanting a new owner

Obviously Sox fans don't get to ratify a choice, but for years we've clamored for someone like Cuban or Cohen. I think both of those have lost significant luster for various reasons.

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Michael already has the Bulls. Jerry stated he wants the family out of the baseball and olive oil business.

With White Sox fans’ luck, Sonny will be whacked on the Skyway and we would be stuck with Fredo for four more decades.

It8VZ2.gif

His sons have a group buying up White Sox shares, and they will be the executors when JR checks out. Looks like the people they have financing their purchasing are the next shareholders of the team with either both or one of the Reinsdorf in charge.

as I have posted many years ago, I worked with someone who did business with Michael, and knew him fairly well. At least then, Michael wanted to run the White Sox, and told the person I know, that there were some things he would do a lot differently than his father. His first few years with the Bulls it seemed like more of the same, but maybe JR still being there had an effect. I won’t give him too much credit for sending GarPax packing. Didn’t Pax concede it probably was time for a change? 

I guess what I am getting at is, good or bad, it is hard to judge how Michael will be if JR is still involved. I do know back in the day he was for a little more risk with payrolls, and trying to get more attractions surrounding the park. Things they could build in parking lots.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

His sons have a group buying up White Sox shares, and they will be the executors when JR checks out. Looks like the people they have financing their purchasing are the next shareholders of the team with either both or one of the Reinsdorf in charge.

as I have posted many years ago, I worked with someone who did business with Michael, and knew him fairly well. At least then, Michael wanted to run the White Sox, and told the person I know, that there were some things he would do a lot differently than his father. His first few years with the Bulls it seemed like more of the same, but maybe JR still being there had an effect. I won’t give him too much credit for sending GarPax packing. Didn’t Pax concede it probably was time for a change? 

I guess what I am getting at is, good or bad, it is hard to judge how Michael will be if JR is still involved. I do know back in the day he was for a little more risk with payrolls, and trying to get more attractions surrounding the park. Things they could build in parking lots.

My understanding was they were/are buying shares for less than full market value (i.e. Jerry's price) for minority shareholders looking to cash out now for estate planning purposes. It could be for long-term post Jerry ownership, or for solid capital gains when it comes time to liquidate.

Don't get me wrong, I like what Michael has done cleaning house with the Bulls, installing a solid FO and coaching staff, and would most certainly welcome that shift with the Sox, be it through Michael's efforts or someone else. Jerry loved taking on both organizations, it's a lot to take on (and they have other interests as well).

It did take a few years before Gar/Pax were removed after Jerry stepped down, so I wouldn't expect with the Sox to rush through the process, going with the current group through their current "multi-championship" window.

After the last four plus decades of Reinsdorfian dysfunction, one franchise-crippling decision after another, and less-than-optimal on the field results, I think this charter AL franchise is both in need and deserving of a completely new & fresh approach by a new owner.  

One who will preferably run the team as a big market team, and no more of this “can’t spend a dollar when you only have fifty cents” BS.  How about an owner with deep pockets for this team for once!

Edited by Thad Bosley
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

After the last four plus decades of Reinsdorfian dysfunction, one franchise-crippling decision after another, and less-than-optimal on the field results, I think this charter AL franchise is both in need and deserving of a completely new & fresh approach by a new owner.  

One who will preferably run the team as a big market team, and no more of this “can’t spend a dollar when you only have fifty cents” BS.  How about an owner with deep pockets for this team for once!

Excellent post, hope everything you said happens.

1 hour ago, Thad Bosley said:

The franchise needs a completely new face lift, and I doubt that another Reinsdorf can do it. The team has just lanquished for way too long. A division title every 10 years or so doesn't cut it. Change is needed so badly, but it isn't going to happen in the near future.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

The franchise needs a completely new face lift, and I doubt that another Reinsdorf can do it. The team has just lanquished for way too long. A division title every 10 years or so doesn't cut it. Change is needed so badly, but it isn't going to happen in the near future.

I don’t think our fan base needs or deserves to hope this apple has fallen far enough away from the tree so as to avoid a continuation of the approach of the last four decades.  

We need and deserve a brand, new orchard.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thad Bosley said:

I agree with you...and to be honest...I think there is a good chance.  JR is aware that he won't live forever.  Getting his house in order is job #1 at this point.

One thing that is important and not yet said is that the Bulls didn’t just change personnel, they changed literally the entire franchise way of thinking this year.

Literally my entire adult life the goal with the Bulls has been to clear enough salary to offer a max contract or two. If you understand max contract levels and the tax level, you could predict what the Bulls would try to do. It even almost worked once, and might have done so but for one player’s legs.

The ways teams like the Lakers, Nets, Rockets, Celtics made moves while over the cap but still brought in the players they wanted - you didn’t even need to know those to be a Bulls fan. It was like a completely different language. Then all of a sudden this offseason, the Bulls are making moves over the cap like any of those teams.

This franchise went from thinking of themselves as the Sacramento Kings or Minnesota TWolves to acting like the Celtics or Nets in one offseason. 

It may not work. Houston never won a title that way and now they’re tapped out after their star left. But I’ll say this - what the Bulls are doing now is way more fun than trying to convince yourself that this year they will stay healthy enough to go for the 8th seed.

• Like 2

Rocky Wirtz did a nice job when he took over for his father, who had taken over from his father.

A family dynasty is often worth more than money.

I'd like to see Michael Reinsdorf become co-chair with Jerry moving forward.

Then Michael can hire a new GM, like Theo.  Hahn has to go.

• Haha 2
  • Fire 2

I don't really think there is much of a difference between Michael Reinsdorf and George McCaskey, I think (hope) that Reinsdorf just nailed his search and McCaskey has not. My interpretation is they both just want to hand it over to people to run, support them, and have them be successful. But they don't really know what successful is supposed to be or look like and fall in love with everyone in those positions and end up shocked when things aren't working out.

So if Reinsdorf took over, do I think anything would change? Maybe, it depends on if Hahn truly has a more progressive vision for running the front office maybe we'd see it. But reality is I think we'd see KW and Hahn just continue to run the sox and if it went into the ground we'd hope he brings in a new group that does well.

So I don't see anything particularly magical about him, wouldn't be happy or upset until he shows otherwise.