Minnie Minoso, Buck O'Neil and Four Others Elected to the Baseball HOF; Dick Allen Screwed by One Vote

South Side Hit Men

10 hours ago, pcq said:

Sox had a weird history of trading their star players. Minnie Louie Harold Nellie. 

Nellie was traded in the twilight of his career but I was still very sad when it happened.

Minnie, Aparicio and Baines were traded when they were still in their prime and the trades were hard to swallow.

13 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

That late 60s, early 70s era was so offensively challenged that for some reason a lot of guys that should have been obvious took forever to get in, or never did.  30 homers a season then is like 50 today. A .270 average is .300 today.

I get that for his original candidacy, but the golden years 2011 and 2014 that he could have been elected while alive is infuriating.

13 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Anyone who could make wearing a helmet in the field look cool deserves to be in the HOF for that alone.

I have mixed feelings about Allen. I still haven't seen a player hit a ball like he could. Slumps didn't bother him. He would say, it's not how you start, but how you finish. And there are few players who had his overall ability. But his work ethic wasn't great and his skills left him too early. He could have put up bigger numbers that would have allowed him entry. Still, I wished he would have stayed with the Sox for the remainder of his career. It would have been great if he would have contributed to the South Side Hit Men.

I would have voted for him. You really haven't seen a home run until you saw Dick Allen hit one.

3 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Nellie was traded in the twilight of his career but I was still very sad when it happened.

Minnie, Aparicio and Baines were traded when they were still in their prime and the trades were hard to swallow.

At least Sox got Early Wynn for Minoso and they got a young Sammy Sosa for Baines, but the first Aparicio trade was just plain stupid.

17 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

I have mixed feelings about Allen. I still haven't seen a player hit a ball like he could. Slumps didn't bother him. He would say, it's not how you start, but how you finish. And there are few players who had his overall ability. But his work ethic wasn't great and his skills left him too early. He could have put up bigger numbers that would have allowed him entry. Still, I wished he would have stayed with the Sox for the remainder of his career. It would have been great if he would have contributed to the South Side Hit Men.

I would have voted for him. You really haven't seen a home run until you saw Dick Allen hit one.

I never knew about the end of his White Sox tenure, especially it being due to his feud with Santo (per his autobiography). 

Maybe without a layoff his numbers become indisputable.

42 minutes ago, Quin said:

I never knew about the end of his White Sox tenure, especially it being due to his feud with Santo (per his autobiography). 

Maybe without a layoff his numbers become indisputable.

Dick Allen had many personal and professional problems in his career. These problems dragged down his numbers and that's a shame. He was an amazing player and a real competitor.

But he sometimes shot himself in the foot. He "retired" in 1974 and left the Sox three weeks before the season ended. He could have finished out the year and still could have retired if he wanted to. And there were two instances where the Sox had over 50,000 for a doubleheader, and he didn't want to play game two.

Solid article by Jayson Stark linked in the tweet.

Because from 1964-73, Dick Allen had an OPS+ of 165. So he’s on the list. Here’s everyone who made that list from the expansion era (1961-2021):

Hall of Famers: Henry Aaron, Frank Robinson, Willie McCovey, Jeff Bagwell, Frank Thomas

Still active: Miguel Cabrera, Albert Pujols, Mike Trout

PED asterisks: Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Manny Ramírez

Everyone else: Dick Allen

3 hours ago, oldsox said:

At least Sox got Early Wynn for Minoso and they got a young Sammy Sosa for Baines, but the first Aparicio trade was just plain stupid.

Actually the Aparicio  trade helped the Sox come with their 3 best consecutive years in Sox history when they won 94 games in 1963, 98 games in 1964 and 95 games in 1965. If we had the wild card back then the Sox would have made the playoffs all 3 years plus a few more times in the 1950s.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

4 hours ago, NWINFan said:

I tend to agree with you, though he had one of the greatest seasons in Sox history in 1972, I had issues with Allen quitting on the team in 1974 and as also didn't like it when as a favor we carried his brother Hank on the roster who was a complete waste so he would qualify for his MLB pension. 

When I think of him as a Hall of Famer I'm on the bubble but then I think if Santo is in the HOF then Allen should be in but then again if I could vote, I would take Billy Pierce over Allen.

Edited by The Mighty Mite