Padres interview Ozzie for MGR job

southsider2k5

1) this is great content

2) Oh man, I can see a world where Ozzie actually becomes heel and takes that heat from machado/tatis, I can also see the world where ozzie gangs up on Tatis with Machado and makes everything worse

Overall, managers don't matter really. Their organizational pitching system needs to be figured out, not sure Ozzie solves that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

1) this is great content

2) Oh man, I can see a world where Ozzie actually becomes heel and takes that heat from machado/tatis, I can also see the world where ozzie gangs up on Tatis with Machado and makes everything worse

Overall, managers don't matter really. Their organizational pitching system needs to be figured out, not sure Ozzie solves that.

Hell he will do both in the same interview.

• Haha 1

Please, please please baseball gods, give Ozzie the Pods' job. Certainly he's been humbled by what went down in Miami.

They could and should have a clause in his contract regarding his behavior in terms of public comments. Now we all have freedom of speech in the USA, but the Pods could add a clause saying he can be terminated without pay if the organization deems any of his statements to the press detrimental to the organization as determined by a committee of select individuals to be chosen after Ozzie's firing.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Please, please please baseball gods, give Ozzie the Pods' job. Certainly he's been humbled by what went down in Miami.

They could and should have a clause in his contract regarding his behavior in terms of public comments. Now we all have freedom of speech in the USA, but the Pods could add a clause saying he can be terminated without pay if the organization deems any of his statements to the press detrimental to the organization as determined by a committee of select individuals to be chosen after Ozzie's firing.

It's a national tragedy that the guy isn't a manager anymore. PC nerds that have never played baseball want him out of the game. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ron883 said:

It's a national tragedy that the guy isn't a manager anymore. PC nerds that have never played baseball want him out of the game. 

He and his kids have said a lot of stupid shit over the years, though none more dumb than saying he loved Fidel Castro while managing in Miami, home of a million and a half Cuban-Americans. Ballclubs are unwilling to brining in a clown car full of Guillens. It has nothing to do with it being "PC", it's just bad business and an unnecessary distraction from your product.

That said, if he can stick to baseball, he would be a good fit in SD. He is a good players manager (at least for a 3-5 year window), is solid strategically, would definitely be an upgrade over many current managers including in the Sox dugout. He might be the right fit to run the clubhouse and keep Preller from micro-managing. Preller would benefit from Ozzie's insight and the fact he is from outside of Preller's circle. I think Preller will still go with someone he can control, or control more than Ozzie, but perhaps he learned it's good to have a mix of thoughts and ideas, and interfering with day to day games is counterproductive to overseeing the big picture.

Surprised you like Ozzie since he chews tobacco.

I like this for a couple reasons:

1. Even though most of us have a sour taste in our mouth re: Ozzie he's actually a brilliant manager. I watched almost all of the post game shows this yearand he explained what he would do differently over a lot of the questionable TLR decisions. I'd take him over TLR in a heartbeat and I'm by no means a TLR hater. Hope he gets the job. We face SDP at least once I know next year will be a cool series.

2. It will most likely piss off Cloverfield

Why I don't like it:

1. It means we are getting more Bacon and Scotty Pods on pre/post game unless Frank wants to step up and become a regular. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

1. Even though most of us have a sour taste in our mouth re: Ozzie he's actually a brilliant manager. I watched almost all of the post game shows this yearand he explained what he would do differently over a lot of the questionable TLR decisions. I'd take him over TLR in a heartbeat and I'm by no means a TLR hater. Hope he gets the job. We face SDP at least once I know next year will be a cool series.

Why I don't like it:

1. It means we are getting more Bacon and Scotty Pods on pre/post game unless Frank wants to step up and become a regular. 

I like Bacon in pre/post, he just sucks as the color commentator.

I agree Ozzie is much better than TLR at this point. I think he has grown and learned a lot since his last gig with the marlins.

Edited by ron883

I'm not sure that is a good idea by the Padres. 

Ozzie has a big personality and the trend is to hire younger managers who just say yes to the analytics and front office suggestions. 

I can't really imagine Ozzie listening to a data nerd who hasn't played past little league on baseball tactics. 

Yeah I realize two very old managers currently play in the WS but I'm not sure with Ozzie that will go as smoothly as it seems to go with dusty who apparently is listening to Sabermetrics and is not doing his old running pitchers into the ground like he did with some guys with the cubs back then 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DoUEvenShift said:

Why I don't like it:

Cloverfield?

I'm neutral on this one.  If was 2003~2008 or 2010 Ozzie, that's one thing, but I'm just not sure he can keep his foot out of his mouth and not get fired for something that has nothing to do with baseball at some point.

3 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

I'm not sure that is a good idea by the Padres. 

Ozzie has a big personality and the trend is to hire younger managers who just say yes to the analytics and front office suggestions. 

When the Astros were looking at managerial candidates, they asked people specifically if they would allow the front office to dictate the lineups. Many guys said yes. When AJ Hinch interviewed and was asked that question he answered no, that there would be too many days when he would know there was some reason a guy wasn’t ready or needed rest or whatever else was going on and he couldn’t have the front office overruling him on that. He would take their advice and information, but he would get the final call. Note who they hired.

While dictating nearly everything from the FO works for the Rays, for most teams, the right answer is striking some balance. If your answer is “I make the f***ing lineups” when someone provides info, you’re doing it wrong and that was Ozzie previously. Outside of Tampa Bay, if your answer is “what does the computer say”, you’re probably also doing it wrong.

Previous Ozzie wouldn’t work today for most franchises because he made the F***ing lineups. Has he become more willing to adapt and work collaboratively with a front office, rather than having everything devolve into a fight over personal fiefdoms? That’s for the Padres to decide.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bmags said:

1) this is great content

The do really matter, but it isn't all the time or necessarily in the big moments. I'll give you an example..

Jerry Manuel had no confidence in Jon Garland. Every time a runner got on base in the 5th inning or later he yank him.

In Ozzie's first year managing, Garland was winning a game in Yankee stadium early in the year. In the 5th or 6th inning Jon got in trouble walking guys with 1 out and the bases loaded. Ozzie cam out and Jon was about to hand him the ball. Ozzie gave it back to him, settled him down, and told him it was his game. He got out the inning (with the help from Olivo picking off a guy on 2b) pitched a couple more innings and got the win. Garland was dude after that moment for his sox career.

Its those moments that matter. Anyone can really make the decisions on when to bunt, steal, replace a pitcher. Hell most of us at home know which relievers to bring in and when (if only Tony knew).

• Like 1
  • Fire 1