Padres interview Ozzie for MGR job

southsider2k5

I hope Guillen gets the Padres job. Everybody deserves another chance. Or most anyway. 

For the White Sox fans and the organization, it is time to move on. The lone White Sox WS win in 102 years happened 16 going on 17 years ago. LaRussa will leave eventually and there is no need to replace him with Guillen. Guillen is not the only person who can manage a baseball team. And I really don't think that the White Sox is a good fit for Guillen. He just has too much baggage. He needs to get a truly fresh start elsewhere and learn from his past mistakes. The first thing he should do is keep his sons out of the clubhouse.

• Fire 1

14 hours ago, greg775 said:

Please, please please baseball gods, give Ozzie the Pods' job. Certainly he's been humbled by what went down in Miami.

They could and should have a clause in his contract regarding his behavior in terms of public comments. Now we all have freedom of speech in the USA, but the Pods could add a clause saying he can be terminated without pay if the organization deems any of his statements to the press detrimental to the organization as determined by a committee of select individuals to be chosen after Ozzie's firing.

lmao. Have you watched Ozzie at all since he got canned? Humbled, no. Smarter? Maybe.

14 hours ago, ron883 said:

It's a national tragedy that the guy isn't a manager anymore. PC nerds that have never played baseball want him out of the game. 

Yes, the PC nerds known as checks notes Miami Cubans that fled the Castro regime and notoriously hate PC politics. Find a new slant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Ozzie with the Padres might be the worst fit imaginable, which means I hope it happens.

Pre-2005 Ozzie is perfect for that team.

Post-2005, when a team loaded with under-performing highly paid veterans needs highly heralded prospects to come up and perform:

5sbDYU.gif

• Haha 2

Just now, shago said:

Have you watched Tony La Russa? 

I know you all believe that any quality of a team, anything that happens, ultimately is attributed to the manager. I disagree. It's so weird how Tampa and Boston have had all these great managers, isn't it? So crazy that the Astros are just dominant despite hinch not being there.

I mean...boy, Gabe Kapler over there in San Francisco, sheesh, he must be an amazing manager. Definitely we learned that when you put him on a team, good things happen.

Joe Girardi man. That guy, what he did with those young Yankees teams, Boone couldn't have done that. I bet if you put him on another talented team he'd definitely get the most out of em.

And sheesh, TLR. You take that guy out of St Louis, good luck ever making another world series. 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I know you all believe that any quality of a team, anything that happens, ultimately is attributed to the manager. I disagree. It's so weird how Tampa and Boston have had all these great managers, isn't it? So crazy that the Astros are just dominant despite hinch not being there.

I mean...boy, Gabe Kapler over there in San Francisco, sheesh, he must be an amazing manager. Definitely we learned that when you put him on a team, good things happen.

Joe Girardi man. That guy, what he did with those young Yankees teams, Boone couldn't have done that. I bet if you put him on another talented team he'd definitely get the most out of em.

And sheesh, TLR. You take that guy out of St Louis, good luck ever making another world series. 

Ok, so if I grant you that managers don't have dramatic impact on a franchise winning over the long-term, will you grant that multiple boneheaded managerial decisions can have a very negative impact in a 5 game series?

21 hours ago, shago said:

Have you watched Tony La Russa? 

Tony has lost all credibility with me. I was a big fan of the move to bring him aboard, although I would have been OK with the team jettisoning him after news of the second DUI came out. Tony had a full month to think about the playoffs. I thought he would magically lead this young club to the title. Instead the Sox got smoked. Considering the quick flameout, RR shoulda been allowed to manage the team another year. Tony has quickly agreed to the new baseball norm of only using a starter 2 or three innings. And he's OK with the lift and pull offensive strategy. HR or K is fine with him. Disappointing. He's just another guy, nothing special IMO.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Padres say they might not have a manager in place by the GM meetings 11/8. That must mean either Ozzie didn't wow them or he isn't interested. It would be interesting to see what Ozzie would say when Preller handed him a line up.

Article complaining about Preller. Complaints seem familiar. 

He has missed on his last two managers. He has made Padres fans go through another rebuild after failing an attempt to build a winner with a bunch of splashy additions in 2015. He then failed to upgrade the rotation at this year’s trade deadline when it was obvious it needed help.

Edited by Dick Allen

16 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

Someone on Twitter said that the A’s are going to slash payroll even further and go with a low cost bare bones squad next year. 

I bet they look at Rick Renteria to replace Bob Melvin. 

That someone is assuming there’s no minimum payroll in the next CBA and even the owners seem to think it’s coming.

15 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Yup, but even with that they still have the Dodgers and Giants in their division, so it won’t be easy even if he does everything possible.

That's if you believe the Giants are built to last and/or Kapler/Faidi are superhuman...tons of vets and expiring deals the next year or two.

18 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That's if you believe the Giants are built to last and/or Kapler/Faidi are superhuman...tons of vets and expiring deals the next year or two.

After this season? I’ll believe that the Giants can’t do it once someone takes the division away from them. 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 6:31 PM, greg775 said:

Please, please please baseball gods, give Ozzie the Pods' job. Certainly he's been humbled by what went down in Miami.

They could and should have a clause in his contract regarding his behavior in terms of public comments. Now we all have freedom of speech in the USA, but the Pods could add a clause saying he can be terminated without pay if the organization deems any of his statements to the press detrimental to the organization as determined by a committee of select individuals to be chosen after Ozzie's firing.

No “we DONT ALL have freedom of speech in the USA”.  Isn’t that right Facebook and Twitter ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ozzie’s Cuban Cigar said:

No “we DONT ALL have freedom of speech in the USA”.  Isn’t that right Facebook and Twitter ?

Uh, oh, there goes this thread down the drain.

The Padres also interviewed Rojas, the former Mets' manager.   Interestingly, no Espada.

Eventually, Carlos Beltran is going to get another shot, somewhere.  Maybe with the A's, although that would be a really tough gig.  That said, expectations would be almost zero at this point.

9 hours ago, Ozzie’s Cuban Cigar said:

You don't get to say whatever you want wherever you want because of freedom of speech.  That applies here too

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1