The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

18 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Technically its a work stoppage if there's no deal on December 2, but how late can they make a deal and start the season on time? Nobody really cares about work stoppages in December.

We have a recent and relevant example, MLB in 2020. The agreement for the 60 game schedule was reached on June 23. It was expected to require a few days of testing and travel to get everyone to “spring” training, and opening day was slated for July 23 or 24. Opening day next year is scheduled for March 31. Basically, no deal by March 1 give it take a day or two means you start losing games.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

We have a recent and relevant example, MLB in 2020. The agreement for the 60 game schedule was reached on June 23. It was expected to require a few days of testing and travel to get everyone to “spring” training, and opening day was slated for July 23 or 24. Opening day next year is scheduled for March 31. Basically, no deal by March 1 means you start losing games.

Yeah, but in 2020 all the offseason stuff (Rule 5 draft, free agency, arbitration) had already happened. Would that not require a longer timeframe to get all that in?

12 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Yeah, but in 2020 all the offseason stuff (Rule 5 draft, free agency, arbitration) had already happened. Would that not require a longer timeframe to get all that in?

My guess is they would figure all that stuff out if they had to do so to avoid losing money. I don’t think a rapid bout of player movement is more complicated than figuring out how to avoid the season shutting down over Covid-19 outbreaks in 2020. In the NFL and NBA, like 75% of free agency is done in a couple of days, a week at most, it’s only MLB where owners are trying to drag salaries down, increase their revenue share, and where so many teams don’t want to compete that we have these 3 month free agent sagas.

You might have to do things like arb hearings for guys already in camp, a 28 man roster to start the year again, and hire Ron Washington to run a spring training for guys who haven’t signed yet, but those are minor compared with the much bigger disagreements over how the sport is run.

So basically, I still think March 1 is within a day or two of your drop-dead date for opening day.

• Like 2

Well Tony will continue to get paid regardless of whether owners lift a lockout over the next two seasons.

Jerry is happy.

Tony is happy.

Players and fans can pound sand,

Just make sure to send in your 2022 Season Ticket money, Jerry will take good care of it on your behalf.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Well Tony will continue to get paid regardless of whether owners lift a lockout over the next two seasons.

Jerry is happy.

Tony is happy.

Just make sure to send in your 2022 Season Ticket money, Jerry will take good care of it on your behalf.

Bravo working TLR and a video clip into this again somehow. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 3

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Jerry is happy.

Tony is happy.

I mean the last thing I'm worried about is Tony getting a paycheck.

There's a ripple effect beyond the games being played, whether it's selling tickets (difficult to do without a guarantee that there will be a season, or when it'll start), Spring Training locale gameday staffing, MLB stadium gameday staffing, marketing plans (you can't feature players in imagery without an agreement in place); etc. Uncertainty creates more uncertainty.

Edited by Hamhock
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Quin said:

I mean the last thing I'm worried about is Tony getting a paycheck.

The good thing is, you can cross the last thing from your list.

You have managers like Dusty Baker who support the players, be it against owner collusion or using Scab players.

https://theathletic.com/477001/2018/08/17/rosenthal-dusty-baker-opens-up-on-the-nats-his-career-racism-the-state-of-the-game-and-the-smell-of-collusion/

The toughest year for me was ’94. That was the epitome of being (caught in the middle). We were in the players’ union for our pension and medical benefits. But we were paid by the owners, so therefore we were told, “If you keep supporting the union, you won’t have a union to support.” That was tough. And then there were the scabs, and we had to train ’em — that was awful. The whole time I’ve been in the game, that was the worst time I ever spent in baseball. That’s the most unhappy I’ve ever been.

You have others like Tony, who was angered by the players union's stance of retirees honoring the picket line, and purposefully crossed the line to join the scabs.

https://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/A-s-Duncan-feels-he-s-caught-in-the-middle-3151679.php

The players union initially tried to squeeze the coaches, announcing that if any crossed the picket line they might forfeit union-provided health benefits and licensing fees, the latter a lucrative supplement to any coach's income. But there was an immediate backlash, an angry La Russa for one saying that threat convinced him to report for work when spring training began.

And also is in full support of illegal ownership collusion against free agents.

https://nypost.com/2012/10/27/8-years-143m-should-keep-wright-with-mets-for-life/

The Players Association noticed Tony La Russa’s recent comments that, if he were in charge of a team, he would not have offered more than five or six years to Albert Pujols last year or Josh Hamilton this coming offseason — and the union was not pleased.

La Russa no longer is a manager, thus an advocate for a team, but rather an advisor to the Commissioner. It is unlikely that too many clubs are taking their financial cues from La Russa. Nevertheless, the PA is very touchy when it comes to any item that even borders on collusion. When asked for comment about this, a union official told me La Russa’s comments had “caught the attention of the PA” and the office will “watch carefully” to make sure no one affiliated with central baseball is running afoul of the anti-collusion language that is part of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Whoever is left from 1994 should do some hard thinking. The whole baseball establishment under-estimated the fan anger over the strike. They merely expected fans to come back as if nothing had happened because they thought that's how it always was. One of teams that took the biggest hit was the White Sox. There was big-time fan alienation and interest in the White Sox hit new lows. By the end of the 1990s, even when the Sox showed signs of a developing team, many were turned off and attendance plummeted. Even in 2000, when the team won the division, many could have cared less.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/27/2021 at 6:52 AM, reiks12 said:

If theres a strike that takes out a chunk of the season i think illbe done with baseball

It took me a long time to get over the strike of 94 . i was just getting my daughter into the White Sox and then they cancelled everything and she lost interest . i actually burned all of my White Sox stuff in the backyard . been going to games since the early 60's with my dad, but if there is a walkout during the regular season, then that's it for me . **** them if they do that!!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, White Sox Park said:

It took me a long time to get over the strike of 94 . i was just getting my daughter into the White Sox and then they cancelled everything and she lost interest . i actually burned all of my White Sox stuff in the backyard . been going to games since the early 60's with my dad, but if there is a walkout during the regular season, then that's it for me . **** them if they do that!!

Big Hurt, Ventura, Lance, Raines, Julio friggin' Franco.
Black Jack, Fernandez, Alvarez, Bere, Hernandez.
Who Are These Guys?!
And then the whole thing was flash frozen. It left me wondering why we can't have nice things; and then learned about JR's role in the whole mess.
sheesh

Edited by FoxForce2
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, White Sox Park said:

It's why steroids basically saved baseball. If 98 didn't happen with Sammy and BigMac, I think baseball would have been in big trouble heading into the 2000's. 

1 hour ago, Tony said:

It's why steroids basically saved baseball. If 98 didn't happen with Sammy and BigMac, I think baseball would have been in big trouble heading into the 2000's. 

Exactly. Sosa and McGwire were on the front page of the USA Today every day during that HR chase. And remember… that was before smart phones.