The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

5 minutes ago, Quin said:

My union and employer just went through two rounds where no deadline was established and no strike needed to happen.

CBA negotiations happen all the time without big time drama.

I certainly didn't mean to imply that all union/employer negotiations are hostile or entail "big drama".  All contracts have an end date and that serves as the deadline in most cases.  Usually, a new contract is in place without the need for lockouts and strikes.  Generally, there is little animosity and the process is nice and polite.  A very public negotiation conducted between high profile people doesn't have that luxury as a general rule.

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think the MLBPA could live with 220M as the luxury tax threshold if every team had to spend at least $125M. 

Honestly I think getting a floor is more important than increasing the luxury tax threshold. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think the MLBPA could live with 220M as the luxury tax threshold if every team had to spend at least $125M

Honestly I think getting a floor is more important than increasing the luxury tax threshold. 

Lol keep dreaming. Half the league had a payroll below 125m in 2021, while ONE team had a payroll above 220m. The owners laugh at that proposal. 

I am glad there was some real action today - hopefully they can both build on this day by day. Could care less which side wins - I just want me some baseball and preferably some spring training too :) 

Give me a floor - expanded playoffs - and If it were up to me a shorter regular season. 

• Like 1

A salary floor might be the biggest concession owners could make and might force some ownership groups to sell.  A low initial floor which increases over the length of the CBA might work and give some teams time to sell and possibly relocate.  A raise of the minimum would accomplish the goal of getting money to the younger players.  Gradual increase of a hard salary cap/penalties would make remaining owners happy.  This likely screws minor leaguers who aren't part of the union and spending in their area gets cut by some franchises due to profit desires.

27 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

A salary floor might be the biggest concession owners could make and might force some ownership groups to sell.  A low initial floor which increases over the length of the CBA might work and give some teams time to sell and possibly relocate.  A raise of the minimum would accomplish the goal of getting money to the younger players.  Gradual increase of a hard salary cap/penalties would make remaining owners happy.  This likely screws minor leaguers who aren't part of the union and spending in their area gets cut by some franchises due to profit desires.

Salary Floor makes too much damn sense.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I am glad there was some real action today - hopefully they can both build on this day by day. Could care less which side wins - I just want me some baseball and preferably some spring training too :) 

Give me a floor - expanded playoffs - and If it were up to me a shorter regular season. 

X2 

I'd also like to see some draft revisions to reward teams for being the best of the rest. It probably isn't workable but an earlier FA but only if the player goes to a team that didn't make the playoffs the previous year. 

16 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Expanded playoffs AND shortened regular season?  Woof. 

Those are probably the two things I want to change the least 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pcq said:

Screw the extra playoff karp. Greedy watered down nonsense. Let's keep the playoffs legit. .

Why have playoffs at all? The Team with the best regular season record is the champion. Playoffs diminish the regular season and make it meaningless.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Why have playoffs at all? The Team with the best regular season record is the champion. Playoffs diminish the regular season and make it meaningless.

You are preaching to the choir as far as I'm concerned.  We both know that money is the reason for this playoff silliness.