The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

6 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

While the purchase is long from completed, I will say that not for profits are some of my favorite news sources.  Not having a multi-media conglomerate to satisfy the political leanings of allows them more freedom than just about anyone else to report facts instead of telling a story with those facts.  Give me PBS over anything Fox, MSNBC, or owned by someone like Sinclair, etc.

Glad to see it then. I wonder how it'll affect staff size and coverage of things like sports. I would assume this nonprofit has different goals as you say. I can't imagine the money flowing thru the newsroom but i could be mistaken.

I noticed that the Orioles, Brewers, Mets and Rays have released their promotional/giveaway dates.  They must think the season is going to start on time. That being said i hope the White Sox release their promotional/giveaway dates.

11 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

This will actually be the key one. The owners delayed things until the pressure was on and have yet to make any movement towards the players, which would be required for a deal to happen. The players showed they were willing to negotiate with their last offer by dropping the part about earlier free agency that the owners targeted as the worst thing in the players’ original offer. Now it’s time to see if the owners want the season to happen or not, and the pressure is on due to their 43 day delay.

I don't know where other people are, but for the record, I had planned on going to spring training this year and had a few people who were all going to travel and meet up down there.  Because of the lockout not being over, that money has now been spent on a family trip to see Hadestown in Chicago, along with a night out in the city, along with a spring break trip to Brown County State Park. 

That was money that was going to go to spring break and also the six ticket promotion that the Sox were doing, that is now gone to them.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That still doesn't tell me if there was any real movement by the owners.

I take fact that they were heated is a good sign - if nothing else - shows real passion in the room and it takes those contentious conversations for progress to happen.  

18 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Reality is - they are making small progress - but the real progress still doesn't happen until they are closer to losing revenue (both players and owners).  No doubt spring will be cut or shortened and likely delayed start to the season (to me I don't see given the disparity in where they are today - how they would be able to negotiate to a good place without having the additive pressure of having already delayed the season etc).  

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Unlike other sports, preseason or spring training is a ritual for a lot of people. Messing with that is going to turn some of their biggest fans off.

I am annoyed - was planning a family trip out there with some of my kids friend(s) and there families.  They are in that young age where they love baseball and would have just had a blast going to games and hanging out at a pool at a nice hotel out in Arizona area.  

35 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

So the players proposed the pool to be $105 million, the owners counted with $10 million🤣, and then the players counter that with $100 million lmao. 

Actually, the players didn't propose that pool at first. The owners offered $10 million (and elimination of super-2 contracts), the players countered with $105, and the players dropped that to $100.

29 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I am annoyed - was planning a family trip out there with some of my kids friend(s) and there families.  They are in that young age where they love baseball and would have just had a blast going to games and hanging out at a pool at a nice hotel out in Arizona area.  

Like I said earlier, I have already started spending this years baseball money on other things. 

• Like 3